Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Taupo trackday Three

Bike
    XR1200x, Triumph Speed Four

Confessions of a track day newbie

Having only been back on a road bike for 6 months after a 27 year "layoff" (kids, career and blah, blah, blah), track days were something to put off until I got more experience, was riding better etc etc etc and I was quite happy just to help out with the organisation today. But some gentle persuasion from Frosty and I thought "what the hell, I'll wobble my way round one session to keep him happy and then go back to helping". Sorry Frosty mate, I wasn't much help after all.........too busy having fun you see. Joined the slow group, stuffed up just about every corner several times (should know better, been around motorsport long enough...hey I was exited!). In amongst all of that I did manage to get some good lines for a couple of laps, apologies to anyone behind me the rest of the time. Anyways had a great time, learn't a lot, riding improved and looking forward to the next one (although I must admit it is a little depressing to have guys with pillions going a lot faster than I was).
    Thanks Frosty for a well organised, fun event.....even the guys who were crashing seemed to be having fun!!
    "Twilight's like soccer. They run around for two hours, nobody scores, and a billion fans insist you just don't understand"

Bike
    nun

Thumbs up

Top fun..Nice work Frosty Et al

Well after some fun and games at cameilia court the nite before i woke up at 7am thinking.. FEK it's cold down south! Umm.. The kids are still asleep, i'll get another 45mins of shut eye in I woke up thinking.. why is my face bleeding and sore??... to quickly realise Poos had shared his Trifle with me

so off to the track bright and early and theres a huge turnout, get myself in the medium 600 class and had far too much fun! Managed to remove (finally) my chicken strips front and rear and even got the toes down... a first!!!!

Got the learn from Mental Trousers and Keystone19 and at one point Quasi on his fekin 400 ( i was pacing with Keystone.. Honest ) and a little later in the day got the learn from Sudeep and an R1 when i mistakenly didn't see my session had finished and i found my self in teh fast group. That was hilarious.. i'm thinking "i'm puttin on a good pace here".. then ..... vrrrroooooom...not once..but twice as Sudeep and Daryl come flying past. As this stage i'm thinking "WTF Why are these lunatics in teh medium 600 session???!!!" it then dawned on me when i looked behind to see a pack of thousands flyin round the track. What a dick! Sorry Frosty and to the guys if i held up your session whilst this muppet carries on around the track on his lonesome

Good to meet some familiar faces and HELLO to all the new faces and names i put together

Cheers Again to Frosty and the rest of the guys/Gals that made the weekend a HUGE success ( Barring the odd mishap )

Im gonna go vege on the couch im shagged

- Boomer

:slap:

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Well tick off another of life's things to do- ride a brand new track.
    It was smaller than in the pictures. They say the camera adds a few pounds.
    Great to meet some more of these faceless internet names at last.
    Had fun but personally a bit disappointed with my pace today. Just couldn't feel confident to lean much or give it the berries out of the turns. Felt like that seal needed some more superglue mixed in with it. No excuses though, I let caution win for a change. Still it was a blast in the fast group, especially when things got crowded on the corners. Some of you Guys I've shared a track with before stunned me with your pace. Big thumbs up. And Death's knee sliders were like following a Guy Fawkes display.
    My Wife's a nurse and she reckons all the fags you guys smoke will get you, long before the bikes do. Never seen so many chain smokers in one place. Was Rothmans the secret sponsor?
    Shame to see a few too many go for a slide.
    Using a trailer for a change sure is the way to cruise home without the aches and pains.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    600RR3
    I'm with MD, the track was definitely smaller than I'd though. I think that my stcok 2nd and 3rd gears were all I used all day.

Awesome day though! Except there was way too many bins. I'm guessing that it was mostly us Northerners not used to riding on such a cold surface?

I was pretty happy with my own riding. Got my knee down for the first time which was a bonus. Big thanks to Dave (GSF Bandit, I think) for pointing out that my knee was pretty much already there and all I've gotta do is point it outwards...ah, that's better.

It's a pretty technical track, and I cocked up most corners, most of the time, normally running wide, but I started to get a bit more feel for the bike again, after a wet Puke bin, new suspension and not much riding of late, and was able to ride through my mistakes and get back on line.

Overall, top day. Thank you weather Gods, thank you fellow riders, thank you SpankMe, and ofcourse, biggy ups Frosty, hope you're ok mate.

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Does anyone know who blew their engine? And did the oil get cleaned OK?
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    05 iHornet 900
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS
    Green?? Kwaka blew an oil line... Looked like the rubber braided line had been rubbing on fairing for some time and let go. Suspect the motor would be sweet

Bike
    HONDA EXPRESS
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS
    After a few laps the track was sweet, just a little care needed.
    Dont know who it was

www.PhotoRecall.co.nz

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quote Originally Posted by Warr
    Green?? Kwaka blew an oil line... Looked like the rubber braided line had been rubbing on fairing for some time and let go. Suspect the motor would be sweet
    Dunno. Happened about 3pm as we were getting ready to go home.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    WEAPON
    What a bloody mint day it was, after a midnight mission from akld to taupo, going to bed at 3am and sudeep waking me up at 6.15am (WTF) me, Dss3 and Motoracer headed off to the track nice n early to set up stuff, we erected the tent in record time got all our shit sorted and kicked back waiting for the fun to start.
    1st session is always the cruise around getting used to things again, 2nd session was a bit more serious me and Dss3 got some good passing practice in, in return from the 2nd session it seemed our generator had shit itself (better track day than race day) so off into the 3rd session on cold slicks and yea turn 2 well Daryl can tell the story, but it meant i was on my own, with no daryl to play with, 4th session went out up front with some clear track and Dss3 and Whitetrash ahead, got some heat in and started to push, must catch jimmy, must catch jimmy, who was aboard glens very cool GSXR810, the very bike jimmy claimed was the best he had ever ridden "fact"!!!! Anyway ended up eating this whitetrash guy for breakfast and in the process got timed at a mid 1.12 which to say the least was pretty rapt with, as Stroud and Sam Smith were running 12's at the last PMCC round, Daryl i'd imagine would've been right up there going even faster than 13's he posted at that race as well, the pace was pretty good, and i killed my front tyre good and proper, still couple of corners i'm having issues with, be good once they sort the judderbar in the esses coming back onto the home straight.
    There was a fair bit of carnage, much more than i expected to see, thankfully no one got majorly hurt, maybe a bit of pride/ego/bike here and there, dont know why everyone was complaining about the lack of grip on the track though, it's fkn mint out there, stop making excuses!!! (jimbo600???)
    Was good to meet some new faces and catch up with the old, MD good to catch up with, been a while mate, Jimbo600, fuck that bike looks shit hot mate, minta, pity it's so slow with you on it, Poo's well poo's um poo's yea moving on, Twosmoker was mint to see you out on the track again, shame you're slow bring it bitch lol. Whitetrash, bout time you got the learn mate, await your excuse!!! Dss3 for crashing on turn 2,that made the whole day worth while, Death INC, you're prolly the hardest muppet to get past, you made the old girl look good haha , great to meet Sugilite, on ya for making the trip up, see you in a few weeks.

Big ups to Tony and co, well done guys, by far the best track day you've run yet, get well soon mate.
    GSXR wiping the shit that is that Honda, Yamaha and Kawasaki off the road since '85'

All you Gixxer riders check it out http://www.gixxerplanet.com/home/ind...referrerid=235
    For all your riding saftey gear needs and Remus Mufflers check out www.quasimoto.co.nz
    Anything Suzuki! Rock into Colemans and check it out www.colemans-suzuki.co.nz

Bike
    08 ZX-6R Race Bike, FXR150
    Quote Originally Posted by loosebruce
    Twosmoker was mint to see you out on the track again, shame you're slow bring it bitch lol.
    Shut up Just coz im slow Personally... i blame the slow R6... and the tyres.... and the track for lack of grip... and the rider... opps i mean nah not the rider...

See you at Vic Club in August-September Where ill be on a real bike.... with NEW tyres hehehe
    See Robert Taylor for any Ohlins requirements www.northwest.co.nz
    Thanks Colemans Suzuki
    Thanks AMCC
    I use DID Chains and Akrapovic Exhausts

Bike
    WEAPON
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Smoker

See you at Vic Club in August-September Where ill be on a real bike.... with NEW tyres hehehe
    I was going to put something smart, like, try to stay on it this time, but i cant really talk.
    GSXR wiping the shit that is that Honda, Yamaha and Kawasaki off the road since '85'

All you Gixxer riders check it out http://www.gixxerplanet.com/home/ind...referrerid=235
    For all your riding saftey gear needs and Remus Mufflers check out www.quasimoto.co.nz
    Anything Suzuki! Rock into Colemans and check it out www.colemans-suzuki.co.nz

Bike
    2010 Yamaha XT250, 2008 BMW F650 Dakar
    Thanks to everyone for an awesome day and especially Frosty for organising a pearler - I'm still buzzing!

With all the troubles I've been having on my SV, the plan for the day was to work on the set up with Shaun Harris and see if I could get on top of the bike (instead of underneath it...). Shaun stripped out the rear suspension and put in a softer rear ohlins, tweaked the front end a little and proceeded to take it out for a test run to see what it felt like - jeez Shaun, did you think it was the Isle of Man? Poor SpankMe!

Anyway, he gives it back to me and says take it out for a session and come and see him after. As soon as I got back on I noticed the difference immediately - I could feel what the rear was doing and felt 100% more confident. I'm a nana when it comes to warming up tyres but once I was happy they were up to speed I really started to push the bike. I came back in with the biggest grin on my face! I am stoked with the bike - thanks heaps Shaun!

Highlights of the day were doing a couple of sessions with Nick Odermatt working on lines and stuff (thanks Nick), duelling with Boomer, Mental Trousers and Quasi, playing with Velox in the last couple of sessions and then getting a final blast with Velox, Andrew Stroud and Frosty and working so hard to keep up with them that I got cramp and had to come in - I was stuffed!

Low point - coming back in after the session with Frosty, Andrew and Velox and finding that Frosty had hit the chain as he came in just before us. Heal up soon Frosty!
    Exploring pastures anew...

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by loosebruce
    Whitetrash, bout time you got the learn mate, await your excuse!!!
    No excuse sunshine, you, Darryl and Nicko bet me fair and square. Although, on a track I'd never seen before, on someone elses bike I'd never ridden, I woulda thought there'd be more than half a second in it.

You da man. Fuck my shoulder aches this morning.
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Bike
    L1 GSXR 1000
    Yeah what a great day, wasn't to sure about going in the fast group but stoked I did. Highlight of my day was going around the fast left hand sweeper thinking I'm doing alright when Whitetrash fly's up the inside followed by death inc around the outside sparks flyin every where, very cool guy's.

The downer for me was totally chewing out my rear tyre in only 134 k's of track time. Felt a little better to see I wasn't the only one.

But all in all it was a primo day, thanks tony and all who made it happen.

Cheers

Bike
    HONDA EXPRESS
    I must say i was astounded with the level of carnage,
    ive never seen so many bikes hit the deck!

www.PhotoRecall.co.nz

Thread Information