Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: World SBK

Bike
    xs400 -

World SBK

Seems like it was a bit of a Ducati procession ... 

Supersport looks way more interesting and competitive !!!
    THe hand's farster than the eye ... keepan eye onda feet .. .

Bike
    2011 Suziki V strom 650
    Blog Entries
    To be fair the first part of race 1 was interesting, but race 2 just went to form.....this years ducatis, followed by last years top ducatis. Still it was good to see the FP1 complete with flamethrower. The supersports was pretty damn good to watch, but hey, this is a track where passing on a bike is pretty difficult.

TTFN

Bike
    GSXR750 K4
    and no Aprilias in sight

Bike
    MV AGUSTA F4 STRADA
    As it should be!

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    Pity they couldn't have loosened up the rules this year, like the BSB and AMA have done. How well would the Ducks have done against 200 hp Yoshimura Suzukis........

Are you sure WSB isn't secretly sponsored by Ducati??????
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Bike
    MV AGUSTA F4 STRADA
    Life is soooo unfair!

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    It is when you can't have one of these!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	331015-silver999.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	79  
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Bike
    Ducati 900 SS ie
    nice bikes

but this one will do - for the moment

see ya

Kiwi
    Nothing is impossible

Bike
    A touring barge
    SPman,

You're quite a man for pictures aren't ya?  What the hell is that 999 doing with a single sided swingarm??

Do you think that was a genuine Honda Race Team accessory with that CBR6?  How much faster does it make the bike go?

As for SBK 2003, again I follow bluninja's line of thought: there is a rather dominant Duke presence (but hey I love Dukes!) so in the interests of a racing spectacle I don't think we'll see too many upsets in SBK this year.  I was ho hum on the 999 as compared to the exquisite 916/996/998 legend but somehow with all the race livery it looks pretty hot too.  So Hodgson (best rider left in the SBK paddock now) combined with the technologically advanced 999 and factory support equals (should be) championship win.  I like watching Xaus 'cos he's so damned tall for the compact race bike - go the spiderman!

My beloved Gix may come along as the season progresses.  And as Edwards proved last year, a 1 machine campaign can still do the job, with an exceptional pilot on board.  But as proven in the past the 4 cyls just don't have that low down drive of the twins.  But I'll follow Alstare  Suzuki with interest.

I love the Foggy Petronas FP1 just for the damn flames that shoot out of that triple exhaust getup.  Fire good!

But the series should be considered hollow because the winning manufacturer of last year has withdrawn, along with Aprilia and Kawasaki.  Yamaha finished up after the 2000 season.  Conspiracy theorists would point the finger at the Italian based SBK organisation because strangely the Dukes don't dominate as much in the AMA or BSB superbike series.

I still prefer production based racing though, because the common man on the street can relate instantly to the race machine, vs prototype (GP) racing where the technology takes longer to filter down and most of us will never have our asses on a genuine RC211V.  Although if you believe the Honda marketing machine, the CBR6 has direct links to the RC211V.

So I believe flying the flag for proddy racing will be the super sport series.  3 brand new machines, all aiming to boost sales in the most cut throat market sector, so competition should be alive and well.  I had to chuckle when  the 'old crusty' Gix6 won on Monday morning though!

Actually in recollecting the big H won a few trophies last year:

World Superbike - Colin Edwards

World Supersport - Fabien Foret

AMA Superbike - Nicky Hayden

MotoGP - that guy, wotsisname...Rossi

and I think Ricky Carmichael might have won at least some of the motocross/supercross series on a Honda monkey bike.

But hell, at the end of it all I love watching anyone tear around at 250km/h plus on two wheels!

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    "But hell, at the end of it all I love watching anyone tear around at 250km/h plus on two wheels!"

Isn't that, ultimately, what its all about?

Doesn't take long for the customisers to get to work, does it. The 999 is a bike modded by Piero? Casoli, for sale. Looks better than the original I thought, although the photo is a bit unclear. (I just like lots of pictures to go with my reading age of 3)

I must admit, if the racing is close and tight, I dont care all that much what they are riding, but , somehow I think that this year, WSB will be a bit of a one sided fight (please, prove me wrong).   BSB is really intense and they have unrestricted 1000's , but Ducati still won the championship last year - although the I4's were getting a lot quicker as the year went on. The AMA championship is also really intense and this year they have got the Bostroms (Eric & Ben), Anthony Gobert (an amazing rider),Matt Mladin, Kurtis Roberts (kennys Brother,Aaron Yates and a host of fast talented riders. If only we could get to see them racing...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	corser_flames_lhs.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	81  

Bike
    A touring barge

Phillip Island

My cynicism towards the Ducati Cup is slightly eroding after watching Race 1.  Of course my allegiances say: "Go the Suzuki's!".  Obviously the 999F03's are the most developed machines, making the most power, but I thought Crasher Xaus could've helped Lavilla by further crashing during the race as well as wrecking 3 factory machines so far this weekend.  Like Steve or Charlie said though: "it's not the cleverest thing to do Lavilla, riding the Suzi so well when you're campaigning to lax up the air intake restrictors ruling" from Ducati Inc - oops I mean SBK

I am a bit worried about the fairing finish and fitting on those cheap ass Ducati's though (please note Bikerboy et al :-) ), what with Toseland's machine losing BOTH side fairings, belly pan just clinging on.  Mr Plod wouldn't allow that on our roads and neither should SBK officials.

Supersport is still where it's at so far, until MotoGP kicks off in a coupla weeks.  Again though, go the old crusty 3 year old Suzi Gixxer6 via Fujiwara.  But y'all know I kinda like the CBR6 too, so I don't mind this result at all.

Touch wood it keeps going good in SBK race 2 for Suzi and for the sake of interest in the series.

An obviously unbiased view of course...

[The post race 2 addendum]:

Well Gregorio somehow lost his lunch and went from leading the bunch chasing the factory Dukes to finishing 7th.  Oh well, that is racing.  I am really happy that Chili managed to capitalise on his brilliant 2nd on the grid and score a 3rd in race 2 (with his L twin not blowing up this time).

Uh oh...here I am about to seemingly contradicting myself, but I feel I must clarify something: I actually love Dukes! (Just check up a bit on this thread)  I am not on an anti Duke crusade.  The 996S would be the most focused and complete sportsbike I've had the privilege to ride (sorry bluninja, I can only compare to a base spec Mille, not your beloved R). 

I guess I do like seeing a truly wide title fight in racing, although the Bayliss/Edwards duel last season was captivating to follow.  I guess I'm just masking my inability to commit to such a gorgeous piece of machinery, conceding practical and logistical reasons such as cost, maintainance, range and comfort!  Hell, I even like the look of the Desmosedici GP bike and that new adventure for Ducati Corse.

Anyone still able to follow this post who has the psycho analytical experience to explain myself back to me?!?!?

Bike
    Manx TT by Sega
    Guys,

The real racing starts this weekend - Valencia - MotoGP...........then we'll truly see what motorcycles can do.....

Mmmmmm - if only I could smell the burning av gas

mmmmm - if only I could see the big black marks for myself

If only I could reverse my bike in to corners like them

Well Hey,, feck it, if only I had the bottomless pit of money to keep my bike on the road!!!!

240hp + >160kg = Sex on Two Wheels!!!!!!

YEEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA 

Bike
    2011 Suziki V strom 650
    Blog Entries

eek

Well I'm not too impressed with my machine control this weekend after Sundays WSB round. I had to be in Hamilton for a kiddies judo tournament, so set the video. AAAAAAARGHHHHHHH! only taped Race 1 and the supersports.

Will have to find race 2 on repeat later in the week to tape. Have to say I enjoyed race 1 and supersports immensely, as apart from the front runner everything else was competitive.

Nhuanh, don't worry Gina (my RSVR) isn't bothered about your comments as long as I like riding her; and to be honest engine wise the RSV is the same beast. I prefer her looks and (comparatively) comfortable riding position over the dukes.

TTFN

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Any thoughts on why the Foggy Petronas does spit flame like a V8 supercar?
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    Manx TT by Sega
    Running rich and unburnt fuel is igniting on the hot pipes - same as the V8's and Rally Cars

Thread Information