Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please recommend helmet

Bike
    2002 Honda VTR 1000 F

Please recommend helmet

Hi friends,
    Now these days with great weather I want to take my bike to work, but arrive there, sweating profusely on my scalp, amongst other places.....
    Is there anything that may help? I now have to go under the handsdryer in the men's room with my head before I can enter any meeting. I feel like Mr Bean in one of his films.
    is there something like craeting a layer in the helmet or what helmet do you recommend that has good ventilation. I now have a flip open helmet of Bayard.

happy for any suggestion!!

Cheers

Johan

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Most full face helmets have vents. Of course some are better than others. I don't know which tho. In saying, my Shoei isn't bad
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Honda Hornet 900
    I have a "helmet sock" I got from Motomail. It's like a balaclava but much thinner and it really helps with helmet hair and sweaty scalp. Plus it's much easier to wash!
    Remember to never split an infinitive. The passive voice should never be used. Do not put statements in the negative form. Proofread carefully to see if you words out. And don't start a sentence with a conjugation. (William Safire)

Bike
    1986 RZ350 + many others
    How about flip up the visor and wear some sunnies and safety glasses?
    Two Stroke, the pinnacle of engine design

Bike
    2005 Moto Guzzi Breva V1100
    Try a white helmet! Much cooler and very easy to spot. I use a white Nolan N101VPS flip-face which has excellent ventilation and a flip up/down sun visor which works a treat. Highly recommended.

Graham

Bike
    Something red and quick
    Arai RX7RR series are nicely ventilated. I have never realized how nice the ventilation until I used my AGV Q3 series again, and finding myself sweating where I wasn't a week ago.

The only thing that heats you up is the price......
    Elite Fight Club - Proudly promoting common sense and safe riding since 2024
    http://1199s.wordpress.com

Bike
    2011 Kawasaki ZX-14 "Monster"
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Allardice
    Try a white helmet! Much cooler and very easy to spot. I use a white Nolan N101VPS flip-face which has excellent ventilation and a flip up/down sun visor which works a treat. Highly recommended.

Graham
    I read on some touring site (think it was a US or UK one) that there is no 'heat' difference between a white or any color helmet.

I say get something with good ventilation
    “There's nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others, is there? ”-Clerks

Bike
    2012 Victory Vegas Zach Ness
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet
    Hi
    what helmet do you recommend that has good ventilation.
    Johan
    Hi Johan
    I too would recommend an Arai helmet. I use a Quantum 2 series. Have used Shoei, A flip open helmet -(Zeus brand), HJC & Nolan. Arai is the best for ventilation by a 'country mile'
    Cheers

Bike
    99TLR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet
    Hi friends,
    Now these days with great weather I want to take my bike to work, but arrive there, sweating profusely on my scalp, amongst other places.....
    Is there anything that may help? I now have to go under the handsdryer in the men's room with my head before I can enter any meeting. I feel like Mr Bean in one of his films.
    is there something like craeting a layer in the helmet or what helmet do you recommend that has good ventilation. I now have a flip open helmet of Bayard.

Cheers

Johan
    KBC motodesign,race. you cant go wrong there mate?
    VTWIN- SUPERBIKE

Bike
    2002 Honda VTR 1000 F

Helmet

In the end I tried many of them and walked out with one of the cheapest !!! HJC Cl14, at motom,ail in nice graphics for 149 bucks!!
    thanks for your input guys,

Cheers

johan

(Hornet CB900)

Bike
    Ducati 900ss The Guido Torpedo
    I agree HJC CL14 is one of the most comfortable sweat free helmets I've ever owned and about the cheapest too.
    Exert your talents, and distinguish yourself, and don't think of retiring from the world, until the world will be sorry that you retire. -Samuel Johnson

Bike
    2008 Suzuki GSX650F
    Quote Originally Posted by Insanity_rules
    I agree HJC CL14 is one of the most comfortable sweat free helmets I've ever owned and about the cheapest too.
    Quick thought re: helmets. Just because one person finds a helmet comfortable, don't think it will be comfortable for you. We all have different shaped heads - ever heard of the old saying "You have either an Arai head or a Shoei head"? Not an urban myth (well until recently, when one of the base-level new Shoei's has been praised by a lot of testers as fitting Arai wearers as well).

Personally, when I had an HJC for testing, I could not get on with it. It felt like it was constantly pressing against my forehead, to the point it was affecting my concentration. But I know someone who has exactly the same one and they love it to bits.

On the "different shaped heads" thing - something to bear in mind if you consider ordering off the internet... if it is a non-local (international) site. Where are they based? Where does their helmet supply come from?

Reason for asking this is that some of the bigger manufacturers (may be a lot more than some) make their helmets to accomodate the head shapes of the domestic market. So an Arai meant for the Asian market will have a different shape to one meant for the European market.

So if possible, always try on a helmet first - OK, you might end up buying from somewhere else, but you need to know it is going to fit correctly.
    http://www.motobke.co.uk

Bike
    2008 Suzuki GSX650F
    That said, the venting on the HJC was really effective... which was the original point of this thread...
    http://www.motobke.co.uk

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    I have read good things about the HJC CL14 and it would appear to be extremely good value for money.

I was advised recently by a dealer that if a helmet created a pressure point, tapping the offending part of the cushioning with a hammer relieved the pressure.

Being (sometimes) tactful I didn't point out that this also "relieved" the protection...
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    You misunderstood. You tap the protuding part of your *head* with the hammer.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Thread Information