Thread: srx = no go.

Bike
    Predator

srx = no go.

Have an 85 srx 250 that now won't start. Due to commitments (and storage space) at the moment I only see it once a week to start it up make sure it goes. Last week it was reluctant to start and didn't like to idle and this weekend it wouldn't go at all, just keeps cranking. Checked plug, it's getting a spark, cleaned it up and nothing. Fuel seems to be getting through, tried dripping some fuel straight into the cylinder = nothing.
    Opened up airbox and tried some engine start in there, which did nothing for it until it somehow managed to ignite the vapour, shoot 2 feet of flames out the airbox and scorch my leg. Ouch.

Anyway, I'm out of ideas, anybody got any ideas or anybody in the area keen to have a look? It may be something really simple I'm overlooking but I'm losing patience. Successful intervention may lead to rewards?! cheers

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Eek. Ratty's brother.Misbehaving. Can't have that

They're not the easiest to start, especially after standing

First thing, have you turned the fuel tap lever to prime . Essential.

Then remove the drain plug from the carb and let about a litre drain through. yes, that much. (Stupid tank design lets water accumulate).

Charge the battery (I know, it seems OK, but it does help)

That should do it. If still reluctant, remove air box to carb hosey thing and stick hand over carb moth while cranking (as impromptu strangler).

Failing all that you'll have to remove and clean the carb. But usually if you crank enough it clears itself.Stupid design of carb.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    XT
    Have you tryed to push start it? could check the compression to.

Bike
    Predator
    Thanks for the replies I will give it a go when I get a chance. Battery on charge since yesterday so that should help.

pri = prime makes more sense, I thought it was primary, then reserve, and wondered why it had an 'on' in the middle. So it doesn't actually have an off then?

Is there a trick to getting the carb to airbox hose off? there doesn't appear to be a lot of room to move in there.

Also what is the standard plug they run? it looks kinda new (got bike a month or so ago) but remember years ago my ns250r didn't like standard plugs and fouled them in 5mins so had to go to a different heat range.

Regarding compression, thats one of my other theories, either it may be starting to get a little tired or all the excess fuel from cranking over and over has washed the bore reducing compression? more a problem with with rotaries I think but never know, might need to drip some oil into the bore or something.

Bike
    1982 kawasaki ZK440
    I'd be looking at the fuel, it's not old fuel is it? after 3 months and new zealand fuel gets real moody.

Bike
    Bikes!
    Sounds like you leave it sitting? Dump the fuel, drain the float bowl, put some new stuff in it. Charge the battery fully, then try it again. A little aerostart may help, doesn't usually do any harm, just don't go nuts. An make sure the plug is clean, not wet, and correctly gapped.

Bike
    Honda PC800
    dump the gas-put fresh in --bet shell run
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    Um, silly question , but you are SURE there's gas in the tank ? Just if you've been running on prime it could have emptied the tank.
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Predator
    Had quick look tonight but no chance to test. Yes tank is definitely half full. Have had it tank on and off for better access to the plug. Gave it a quick crank tonight after making sure fuel was flowing through by sucking on the vacuum hose.

Other thing is it's had to sit outside for last couple of weeks in the rain, will water be making it's way into the fuel tank?

Anyway I'll change the fuel on the weekend or hopefully tomorrow night and see what happens, cheer for all the help!

Bike
    Predator
    Ok tried changing the fuel, draining through the float chamber, charging the battery, checking the plug, crash starting in 2nd, crash starting in 3rd, kicking, yelling, cursing. Absolutely nothing, it'll crank all day long and couldn't catch a one legged dog.

Just attempted compression test but not sure how well it's sealing the plug hole or if gauge even works (it's old) as it kept telling me 0psi. Funny thing also, the vacuum line that runs to the fuel valve, if you take this off and crank it there are pulses of air coming out! It's acting like one of the intake valves is not sealing/is bent and piston is just forcing air out the intake... this is driving me crazy.

Bike
    Predator
    Further update, checked the valve clearances, 2 thou on the inlet 3 thou on the exhaust??? Doesn't sound right.

Bike
    Valve clearances are on the tight side - should be

Valve clearance is In:0.05 - 0.10mm ex:0.12 - 0.17mm
    Ignition timing is 12 degrees BTDC

But that shouldm't stop it starting, especially if it was starting OK one week, then not the next.

Shouldn't be positive pressur ein the tube to the tap, should be suction - sure you're not confusing them?

I'd pull the carb off and strip it. Could be that sitting rust and muck has settled in the carb and gotten into a jet or passage way.

Bike
    Bikes!
    Silly question, does it show any signs of life at all? Or just winds over, not even trying?

Bike
    Honda PC800
    dude go back to the REAL basics.
    The motor needs,fuel,air,spark and compression to run.
    SO--remove plug -kick the bike over see if theres spark at the plug.
    Next-given ya compression tester is knackered.--try holding ya thumb over the plug hole and kicking the bike over -not ever slightly accutrate but at least you'll know if ya got SOME compression.
    Next Fuel--Ya need to pull the whole carby out then take the bowl at the bottom off. Clean out all the crud in the jets -especially the one underneath the float.
    Next--whilst carbys off drain about 1/4 liter if gas into a seethrough jar.
    let the gas sit about 5 minutes and see if it seperates out into different liquids. -if it does drain the tank dry and put in fresh fuel
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    -
    Any luck on getting it started?

Thread Information