Thread: Help - Bike won't start

Bike
    Yamama R6 & Frankie the Bucket

Arrow Help - Bike won't start

I can't get the R6 to start, it was running fine yesterday but this morning when I went to start it, it would turn over but not fire. There's also a clicking (possibly arcing) noise coming from a little box under the seat and it smelt like electrical burning.

So can someone help me identify the little box in the picture and offer any advise?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4272.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	28091  
    The Unknown Rider

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 800 Road
    Not sure exactly what the box is. Looks like your main fuse/s though - are they okay? Also, those two red wires they go to the back and are wrapped around the cross member - have either of them been rubbing on the frame under the seat (just thought they could have shorted)?

"Old enough to know better but doing it anyway".

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Groins_NZ
    Not sure exactly what the box is. Looks like your main fuse/s though - are they okay? Also, those two red wires they go to the back and are wrapped around the cross member - have either of them been rubbing on the frame under the seat (just thought they could have shorted)?

Those two wires are for my cigarette lighter socket and I've just checked them...they're fine.
    The two fuses are also fine, I wonder if that box is some sort of ignition relay.
    The Unknown Rider

Bike
    I thought I'd give bump starting a try...and it worked. It coughed a bit then kicked into life.

Down the street and then back home, flicked it off...then tryed starting it again and it was fine.

So now I'm worried, this is the first time I've had a problem with it starting...the battery voltage was fine when I tested it and it's now starting again ok.

When I'm fixing things, I much prefer knowing how I've fixed something rather than doing something random and getting lucky.
    The Unknown Rider

Bike
    Bikes!
    If is just me, or are your two first posts in black text?

Bike
    Africa Twin DCT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slingshot

So can someone help me identify the little box in the picture and offer any advise?

Starter relay and solenoid..What is the battery charge like even though it bump started,loose connections at the terminals ?

Bike
    06 Ducati Monster S4RS, 04 Ducati 749R
    Am sure that is the starter solenoid - would have thought that your problem could be flat battery as sometimes it will have enough juice to turn the engine over, but not enough left to fire the ignition. However given you had ridden it day before then it should have had a good charge - unless whatever you are running off that "cig lighter" might have drained it? Suggest first up you check that the battery and solenoid terminals are really tight. One thing that looks a bit dodgy is that the red wire you have run from positive terminal does not appear to be fused - and being wrapped around a frame piece is there any chance that might have rubbed off some insulation and be partially shorting (this would not be good for your battery).
    pretentious moi?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by et al
    unless whatever you are running off that "cig lighter" might have drained it?
    I haven't been running anything off it lately, and normally it's just a phone charger.

Quote Originally Posted by et al
    One thing that looks a bit dodgy is that the red wire you have run from positive terminal does not appear to be fused - and being wrapped around a frame piece is there any chance that might have rubbed off some insulation and be partially shorting (this would not be good for your battery).
    Good point, I've put a fuse on it but it's further up the line, too far to be of any use. I have checked that wire and it hasn't yet rubbed off the insulation but it probably will, must move that fuse.

Quote Originally Posted by imdying
    If is just me, or are your two first posts in black text?
    No, it's not just you. THe computer was crashing when I was trying to upload the photo so I copied the text into outlook and saved it so I didn't have to type it out again. When I pasted it back it's changed the font.

Quote Originally Posted by TLDV8
    What is the battery charge like even though it bump started,loose connections at the terminals ?
    VOltage was about 12ish volts, I'll check the connections tomorrow.

Thanks for the help everyone.
    The Unknown Rider

Bike
    Bikes!
    Sounds awfully like a flat battery or loose terminals.

12ish volts is pretty low, would be expecting more 12.5+ Also, start the bike up, hold her about 6000rpm, and tell us what voltage that reads.

Thread Information