Thread: Barry Sheene is Dead

Bike
    2011 Suziki V strom 650
    Blog Entries

Unhappy Barry Sheene is Dead

Motorcycling legend Sheene dies

Former world motorcycling champion Barry Sheene has died after a long battle against cancer.

The 52-year-old, who was awarded the MBE in 1978, had cancer of the throat and stomach. He died in a hospital on Australia's Gold Coast on Monday. Sheene won the World 500cc Motorcycle Championships twice in 1976 and 1977 but was equally famous for overcoming his numerous crashes on the track. And like his contemporary James Hunt, the Formula One Grand Prix driver, he also attracted headlines for his playboy lifestyle. At one stage in his career he had metal plates in both knees, 28 screws in his legs and a bolt in his left wrist.

Sheene began racing motorbikes at the age of five and remains the last British racer to win a 500cc GP in 1981. He won 19 in all and is also still the last British rider to have won the world title. Sheene moved to the warmer climes of Australia in the early 1990s to ease the pain caused by arthritis from numerous broken bones suffered in crashes. He worked as a motorsport television commentator Down Under, where he also had business interests. Sheene was diagnosed with cancer in July last year just days after competing in a legends race during the British Grand Prix at Donington.

But he shunned chemotherapy treatment, opting to fight the disease with a natural diet regime and other therapies. Sheene is survived by his wife Stephanie and two children, Freddie and Sidonie.

Tricky Ricky Guest

Angry Barry Sheene RIP

Barry Sheene the former World 500cc Motorcycle Champion died today after a battle with cancer.
    Barry our thoughts are with you & your family.
    I hope you fought your battle with all the bravery you showed on the track..................

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    That is sad to hear.

I was reading a post about him on Sunday that said he wasnt looking too good.....obviously he was worse than they thought.

A character....he will be missed.
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bazza 2.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	88  
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Bike
    2003 FJR 1300
    Sad news, used to look forward to reading his articles in 'Bike' mag here in the UK.. he will be missed..

Born to Ride

Bike
    Not many, if any
    im sorry i cant say i had actually heard of him.  But a fellow motorcyclist all the same, sad to hear hes passed away

along with a West Aucklander @ 2am sunday morning, putting his bike into a pole. (read in paper)

Bike
    2011 Suziki V strom 650
    Blog Entries
    KK, sad to hear when any biker dies. I guess Barry Sheene was from my era, and I remember watching his battles with Kenny Roberts on the TV, for me compelling stuff. Superstar or everyday biker, we all leave our mark on the world.

TTFN

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    As long as we dont leave our mark on the world , as we leave it!

Bike
    2003 FJR 1300
    I remember seeing him race at BayPark, gees I must be getting old

Thread Information