Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 65

Thread: Buying a used motorcycle?

  1. #16
    Join Date
    21st July 2005 - 12:00
    Bike
    92 Yamaha FJ1430A
    Location
    Nana Republic
    Posts
    2,543
    Blog Entries
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniper
    I mean young at heart with the body of an action man (Aged a few years)

    you scare me...
    Life is tough. It's tougher when you're stupid

    SARGE
    represented by GCM

  2. #17
    Join Date
    7th November 2004 - 11:00
    Bike
    Aquired by locals
    Location
    Groote Eylandt
    Posts
    6,618
    Quote Originally Posted by SARGE
    you scare me...
    There are many occasions I scare myself, but back on topic, thanks for the wealth of info. It will come in handy to quite a few.
    To every man upon this earth
    Death cometh sooner or late
    And how can a man die better
    Than facing fearful odds
    For the ashes of his fathers
    And the temples of his Gods

  3. #18
    Join Date
    21st July 2005 - 12:00
    Bike
    92 Yamaha FJ1430A
    Location
    Nana Republic
    Posts
    2,543
    Blog Entries
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniper
    There are many occasions I scare myself, but back on topic, thanks for the wealth of info. It will come in handy to quite a few.

    being a reputable dealer myself, maybe this will help save some Trade-Me Tragedy from taking place..


    make me a few $$ in the process..


    i'm a mercenary MF after all
    Life is tough. It's tougher when you're stupid

    SARGE
    represented by GCM

  4. #19
    Join Date
    5th August 2005 - 14:30
    Bike
    Various
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    4,359
    Yeah, more my point is that a stuffed chain and sprockets could set you back $250.00, possibly not a deal breaker, however stuffed brake discs could set you back $2,000.00.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank
    You say "no one wants to fuck with some large bloke on a really angry sounding bike" but the truth of the matter is that you are a balding middle-aged ice-cream seller from Edgecume who wears a hello kitty t-shirt (in your profile pic) and your angry sounding bike is a fucken hyoshit - not some big assed harley with a human skull on the front.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    21st July 2005 - 12:00
    Bike
    92 Yamaha FJ1430A
    Location
    Nana Republic
    Posts
    2,543
    Blog Entries
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by CaN
    Yeah, more my point is that a stuffed chain and sprockets could set you back $250.00, possibly not a deal breaker, however stuffed brake discs could set you back $2,000.00.

    true.. a fingernail will usually tell if the rotor is scored.. any pulsing on the test ride will be a dead giveaway..
    Life is tough. It's tougher when you're stupid

    SARGE
    represented by GCM

  6. #21
    Join Date
    21st July 2005 - 12:00
    Bike
    92 Yamaha FJ1430A
    Location
    Nana Republic
    Posts
    2,543
    Blog Entries
    23
    TRADING YOUR BIKE

    MORE DEALER TIPS...

    1. clean your bike
      wash it, wax it, clean the wheels,...every hour i have to spend tidying it up will cost you a BUNCH on trade in price
    2. have a verifiable service history
      not " well ..i changed the oil 6 months ago.." have receipts or dealer history..
    3. know how much your bike is worth
      i know what i want for mine.. if you say " as much as i can get".. it will end up considerably less than you want.
    4. lube your chain
      basic maintenance is critical to the trade in price..( see # 1 above) a loose dirty chain makes me look deeper into the bike
    5. get an ownership history.. makes a HUGE difference..
    6. a fresh WOF will instill me with confidence about your bike..
    Life is tough. It's tougher when you're stupid

    SARGE
    represented by GCM

  7. #22
    Join Date
    3rd October 2004 - 17:35
    Posts
    6,362
    Some one should sticky this thread
    Then I could get a Kb Tshirt, move to Timaru and become a full time crossdressing faggot

  8. #23
    Join Date
    17th June 2005 - 13:51
    Bike
    Whatever is in the garage - FXDC, Bking
    Location
    Kerikeri - Dunedin
    Posts
    3,410
    Blog Entries
    7
    Talking about second-hand bikes.................... '05 Busa for sale by careful lady owner

    www.Ridertraining.co.nz
    NZTA Approved CBTA Instructor Assessor
    - Restricted + Full Licence Training & Testing
    - Onroad Coaching & Training
    Auckland
    Call or Txt 0210334766
    info@ridertraining.co.nz

  9. #24
    Join Date
    21st July 2005 - 12:00
    Bike
    92 Yamaha FJ1430A
    Location
    Nana Republic
    Posts
    2,543
    Blog Entries
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Qkchk
    Talking about second-hand bikes.................... '05 Busa for sale by careful lady owner

    did you buy the R1 i saw you on yesterday on the corner of Queen and K'Rd?
    Life is tough. It's tougher when you're stupid

    SARGE
    represented by GCM

  10. #25
    Join Date
    11th November 2002 - 13:00
    Bike
    2001 Yamaha FAZER 600S
    Location
    Devonport,Plymouth,U.K.
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by SARGE
    TRADING YOUR BIKE
    MORE DEALER TIPS...[*]lube your chain
    I got told years ago that no matter how nice and shiny a bike is the chain is the best indicator of how well it`s really been looked after.If someone hasn`t got a clue how to properly adjust and lube a chain then they`re going to be pretty clueless about just about anything else mechanical so for me a good look at the chain and a check of the oil on the dipstick(to see the state of it not so much the level)are essential.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    18th July 2005 - 21:19
    Bike
    BMW R1150 gs Tractor
    Location
    Discworld
    Posts
    107
    19. Engine leak test:
    Look for oil leaks - some weeping from the top gasket on the engine is nothing to worry about and oil near the front sprocket is probably just over-enthusiastic chain-oiling. Look for major leaks elsewhere. If you see a green watery substance, you have a leak in the cooling system - a no-no.

    20. Suspension:
    Bounce both ends up and down with as much force as you can muster. Squeaks at the rear on monoshocks may indicate unhappy bushes, while oil leaks (lift fork gaiters if fitted) suggest a rebuild.

    TAKE A ROAD TEST

    We recommend a road test although it's not always possible. If you turn up with a friend who is willing to hang around while you go for a ride, your chances of a spin are increased. Remember, if you bin it, you own it.

    What you're looking for is:

    1. Those steering head bearings - try them at walking pace, lock-to-lock. Does it turn smoothly? Now a little quicker in the turns (no lock-to-lock this time) - is it equally happy in left and right turns or is the frame bent?

    2. Brakes - a couple of gentle stops using the front then the rear levers in isolation will tell you if the discs or drums are warped. Pulsing levers or jerky stopping are bad news.

    3. Gearshift - does it work all the gears smoothly?

    4. Do the instruments work? A speedo that doesn't work is a basic roadworthy item.

    Bloody Hell,that rules out about every bike from 1972 backwards,how are we ever going to sell our old Bonneviles and BSA's and Nortons and Vellocettes and and and and how are we ever going to learn how to use red hermetite !!!!!
    My carbon footprint stretches to the horizon....but I'm not a bad person....

  12. #27
    Join Date
    21st July 2005 - 12:00
    Bike
    92 Yamaha FJ1430A
    Location
    Nana Republic
    Posts
    2,543
    Blog Entries
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    19. Engine leak test:
    Look for oil leaks - some weeping from the top gasket on the engine is nothing to worry about and oil near the front sprocket is probably just over-enthusiastic chain-oiling. Look for major leaks elsewhere. If you see a green watery substance, you have a leak in the cooling system - a no-no.

    20. Suspension:
    Bounce both ends up and down with as much force as you can muster. Squeaks at the rear on monoshocks may indicate unhappy bushes, while oil leaks (lift fork gaiters if fitted) suggest a rebuild.

    TAKE A ROAD TEST

    We recommend a road test although it's not always possible. If you turn up with a friend who is willing to hang around while you go for a ride, your chances of a spin are increased. Remember, if you bin it, you own it.

    What you're looking for is:

    1. Those steering head bearings - try them at walking pace, lock-to-lock. Does it turn smoothly? Now a little quicker in the turns (no lock-to-lock this time) - is it equally happy in left and right turns or is the frame bent?

    2. Brakes - a couple of gentle stops using the front then the rear levers in isolation will tell you if the discs or drums are warped. Pulsing levers or jerky stopping are bad news.

    3. Gearshift - does it work all the gears smoothly?

    4. Do the instruments work? A speedo that doesn't work is a basic roadworthy item.

    Bloody Hell,that rules out about every bike from 1972 backwards,how are we ever going to sell our old Bonneviles and BSA's and Nortons and Vellocettes and and and and how are we ever going to learn how to use red hermetite !!!!!

    hell mn .. noting like a god project bike.. just set your price accordingly ..

    i picked up an old Harley years ago for US$30 ( some assembly required..)
    Life is tough. It's tougher when you're stupid

    SARGE
    represented by GCM

  13. #28
    Join Date
    11th November 2002 - 13:00
    Bike
    2001 Yamaha FAZER 600S
    Location
    Devonport,Plymouth,U.K.
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by SARGE View Post
    i picked up an old Harley years ago for US$30 ( some assembly required..)
    Don't think I'd pay that much for a new one.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    12th April 2006 - 18:44
    Bike
    KTM530EXC
    Location
    Whangarei
    Posts
    670
    I have been riding/buying bikes for thirty years and have gotten used to what to look out for. I still get surprised though - it is very hard to check everything. What I have learned is that they are often selling because there is some issue with the bike. You just have to find it but often it takes a week or two of ownership to get to know a bike properly, and by then you have learned to live with it. Which is one danger with dealers because they have not ridden it much so have not found out its gremlins - then you show up and buy it. At the end of the day, all bikes have their idiosyncracies.
    "May all your traffic lights be green and none of your curves have oncoming semis in them." Rocky, American Biker.
    "Those that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 18th C.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    20th May 2007 - 12:04
    Bike
    various
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    2,856
    Blog Entries
    13

    Cool Well...

    Not wanna rain on anyones parade but...

    I have been buying s/h bikes for more years then I can be bothered counting. I started reading all the good intentioned advice on here. I woke up from that I hit my head the keyboard. Needless to say I have never followed any of those.

    My rules:

    1. Have some JD and decide you need to add another old bike to the collection. Now!
    2. Check how much cash you have.
    3. Figure out where you can get some more cash from (If I don't buy cat food and don't pay the phone then...)
    4. Look around for a bike that you can have straight away!! If you wait you will just sober up and make some boring sensible decision.
    5. Get someone who you trust will agree with everything you say to drive you there.
    6. Allow the first moment you see the bike to be the decision making one. If she makes your heart beat faster she is yours. But if you need some more JD then go and have some and then come back.
    7. Pay the man and take her away. Leave all the details until you get her home. Treat her like any other sexy girl. (You just don't dress her down or test ride her in public!!!)
    8. Get stuck in and neglect any mates, g/f's and obligations until she is ready willing and able (and has your personal touch as riding someone elses girl is not cool)
    9. Don't count the costs!!!
    10. Start all over again...

    10 simple steps I live by that keeps my life interesting. You need some stories to tell. Nobody wants to sit and listen to your sensible ones over a beer (or two...)

    May the bridges I burn light the way.

    Follow Vinny's MX racing on www.mxvinny.com


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •