Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Buying a used motorcycle?

Bike
    Triumph Scrambler, R80G/S BMW
    [QUOTE=SARGE;549815]one bike's 'Character' is another bike's severe mechanical problem......

Exactly some think Ducatis have character........
    "Just once I'd like someone to call me 'Sir' without adding 'You're making a scene.'"

Bike
    none in NZ
    Hi,

Im buying a motorbike from a private seller and then getting it transported to where I live. That means I cannot do the deal face to face. What is the best way to handle this? Signing over ownership, payment and all of that. I am not from NZ so I dont really know how it works here.

Bike
    Suzuki GSR
    Hey there

You can do ownership transfer electronically and do an online transfer to the sellers bank account. You can track the funds then and have proof of payment.
    Definitely ensure you have at least an email with his full details inc driver licence number and confirmation of agreed sale.
    Have you had someone assess the bike or had it appraised?
    I'm not sure I would ever buy another vehicle without a test ride and seeing it in person.

What have you purchased?

Rich

Bike
    2001 SV400s
    I'd imagine the deals long done, since the post was from 2012...
    Yeah, nah.

Bike
    Suzuki GSR

Talking

Ha ha Im sure that came up as a new post!
    Well that solid advice can remain on the thread

Bike
    2013 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom
    Good writeup; I've also used the Used Motorcycle Evaluation Guide.

Some NZ-specific stuff I've learned through my recent purchase (moved here recently from the US):

Vehicles don't have titles as they do in the US, so it's possible for someone to sell you a bike that they don't own or that they still owe money on. Pay the $15 or so to get a VIN report from CarJam, ThatCar, MotorWeb, AA, or others. I ended up using CarJam and found some interesting things.

We did the transaction as a bank-to-bank transfer. I verified the seller's account number and amount, did the transfer on my bank app as they watched, and let them take a screenshot. Pretty slick.

Fill out a Bill of Sale. There's lots of great info at Consumer Protection and they even have a Bill of Sale template here. You can also pay for more legalese versions at Documatica or LawDepot.

Interestingly, odo readings are recorded at WOF inspections, but not as part of a sale.

Thread Information