Thread: “Hide and Seek” organisers stunned by number of biker entrants

Bike
    2008 Suzuki GSX650F

“Hide and Seek” organisers stunned by number of biker entrants

Organisers of ‘Escape from London’ - billed as “The world's largest game of hide and seek” - have responded to an unexpected level of interest from bikers.

"We never really thought bikers would be interested in this event when we first set it out," says StreetSafari's Justin Clements. "However, the interest we've had from them since we launched has been impressive. As the event is very new - the first of its kind, in fact - we can change the event slightly to allow bikers to compete.”

Escaping from London on a bike is regarded as being much easier than doing so in a car, so the organisers team decided bikers can take part as Guards, attempting to spot competing cars.

The event does not have a high-speed element, but is instead based on routing and observation as teams attempt to reach two assigned checkpoints without being spotted by Guards.

More details at www.streetescape.com.
    http://www.motobke.co.uk

Bike
    XB12R, FXR150, Ducati 400ss, 1125CR
    now this sounds like fun....

we could try one here ...

"escape from foxton"

what a ride so far!!!!

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Hm. Po faced constipated lot the organisers. No alcohol, no this, no that blah blah.

But I like the idea though. I reckon this could be a cool KB thing.

"Catch a runner"

Have 2 teams of bikes. One team of bikes trying to "do a runner" to some suitable pub.The other team trying to catch members of the first team, and photo them.

No photos within 2 km of the start point or the pub. Teams start 5 km apart. Anyone who gets to the pub "uncaught" gets free drinks from the catcher team. Anyone caught buys the catcher a drink.

Anything goes I reckon for the chase and capture. Straight fast runner, clever dodging down the back streets, catchers patroling at critical points, or just catch the runners by sheer speed, whatever y'think will work . And the chase team can liase by cellphone to catch the runners

Beauty is it's a bit more interesting than just a ride, but can work both for the guys that want a straight forward fast blat, AND the folk that want to stay legal. Fast or sneaky, your choice.

Someone think of refinements. And teams. And a date and time
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Apriliaaah!
    Sounds like fun - only prob is how do the catchers work camera and phone with gloves and helmets on?
    I told him,
    "Son, what is it with you? Is it ignorance or apathy?"

He said,
    "Coach, I don't know and I don't care."

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    I can work a camera with gloves on. The phone liason bit, I assume that the catchers would be waiting up somewhere, helmets and gloves off - waiting for the word -"just spotted one - heading down xxx road, blue gixxer, - pursuit team GO GO GO " Then quickly gear up and CHASE .

Tactically, I'd envisage the chase team throwing a cordon of riders on fast bikes between the start point and the pub . With spotters on manoeuverable bikes heading to observation points - motorway overbridges f'instance, and major intersections along the routes they think the runners may take , to watch for the runners. Spotter sees a runner, calls him in, and the nearest chasers set off to pursue or intercept. Lots of room there for tactics and thinking, which is what I like about it. A runner could just go for a straight blast, hoping to get through before being intercepted. Or, go for sneaky back doubling through less obvious roads.

I'm assuming that start point and pub are at least a couple of hundred kilometres apart. Start could be the Albany pub, finish the Coroglen pub, f'instance . Catchers get half an hour start to get into their positions.

Rule is, the photo proof must show BOTH a readable rego number AND a front shot. That overcomes the "I photo'd him, see he's that speck in the distance" problem.Means the catcher has to get close up AND PASS. Or, intercept from in front. And means that even if a runner is spotted, he still has a chance to get away .Tactics, see.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    what you need is walktie talkie comms and on board cameras, that way a forward facin cam on the catchers bike would get a pic as he closed in and the caught would get the catcher once he was passed

Bike
    fire breathin ginja ninja
    I've heard of this before.. I used to know someone who used to play this. He had a matte black MG so it was easier to hide down the side streets..

we should play that here..

Bike
    '69 Lambretta & SR400
    Could be all kinds of good fun, teams of runners sending decoys out etc etc. I'll just cheat and hire a van to stick the Lammy in the back of...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lobster View Post
    Only a homo puts an engine back together WITHOUT making it go faster.

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    Counter Shiite on bikes. Sounds interesting. Can I have some flash bangs please??
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Bike
    XB12R, FXR150, Ducati 400ss, 1125CR
    we play this in New Plymouth at night in cages

one team go and hide... then txt/radio other team aprox map area... say from xxx street to yyy street, from sea to sachool in other directions... the other team has 20min to find them.... ANYTHING goes... up private drives, camo behind containers...... (pays to have 4 wheel drive )

what a ride so far!!!!

Bike
    Sold....looking
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion
    I can work a camera with gloves on. The phone liason bit, I assume that the catchers would be waiting up somewhere, helmets and gloves off - waiting for the word -"just spotted one - heading down xxx road, blue gixxer, - pursuit team GO GO GO " Then quickly gear up and CHASE .

Tactically, I'd envisage the chase team throwing a cordon of riders on fast bikes between the start point and the pub . With spotters on manoeuverable bikes heading to observation points - motorway overbridges f'instance, and major intersections along the routes they think the runners may take , to watch for the runners. Spotter sees a runner, calls him in, and the nearest chasers set off to pursue or intercept. Lots of room there for tactics and thinking, which is what I like about it. A runner could just go for a straight blast, hoping to get through before being intercepted. Or, go for sneaky back doubling through less obvious roads.

I'm assuming that start point and pub are at least a couple of hundred kilometres apart. Start could be the Albany pub, finish the Coroglen pub, f'instance . Catchers get half an hour start to get into their positions.

Rule is, the photo proof must show BOTH a readable rego number AND a front shot. That overcomes the "I photo'd him, see he's that speck in the distance" problem.Means the catcher has to get close up AND PASS. Or, intercept from in front. And means that even if a runner is spotted, he still has a chance to get away .Tactics, see.
    Well the government has happily funded numerous perfectly capable camera's on large poles for us to avoid.

Bike
    1998 suzuki RG150e (AETC)... X2
    the bikes taking the photos should have a pillion...

the pillion uses the camera, while the rider rides where he needs to ride, and concentrates on riding...
    I suffer from hooliganism.... Know me before you judge me
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...7&postcount=83
    i need to practice my "this shit doesn't burn" face
    Welcome, ZorsT.
    You last visited: 1st November 2007 at 22:15

Bike
    "Bagheera" GSX1400K5
    Could use those kids' Lazer Tagger things. Make the "Runners" wear the tagg detecting suits (ya know, the one the light-up & buzz when ya "hit") and the "Cops" could use the Lazer Tagging guns ta try and "Shoot" the Runners. I assume these things show a record of "hits" on them. Then again we could use paint guns Slipping on a wet paint ball mark would be a problem but would work well on a Dirt Bike version of this played on a farm.
    New Zealand......
    The Best Place in the World to live if ya Broke

"Whole life balance, Daniel-San" ("Karate Kid")

Kia kaha, kia toa, kia manawanui ( Be strong, be brave, be steadfast and sure)
    DON'T RIDE LIKE YA STOLE IT, RIDE TO SURVIVE.

Thread Information