Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trouble starting - FXR

Bike
    CBR, RGV Racer, Bucket
    Cheers KZ. Will do this weekend

Bike
    CBR, RGV Racer, Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyingpony
    Mine starts fine first pop every time without choke or throttle - obviously it won't idle for long so it'll then get throttle or choke depending if already geared up.

When is the last time you replaced your spark plug and cleaned your air filter?I havent replaced my spark plug since I got it. It only just ticked over 10,000ks. Cleaned the air filter about 2,000ks ago

Been playing with the carb screws? Nope

Does it accept throttle while it's stuck on full choke? Yes it does
    This relates to my next question, do you switch off the fuel tap?
    I've noticed if I do that and leave it sitting for a few weeks or happened to ride off into the sun set with it off - 350m splutter splutter, it's a bugger to restart because there's no fuel in the carb. Find myself waiting for a minute before there's enough petrol to start and then a few more with full choke until it's not touchy to throttle input or choke closure. I only switch it off when I'm leaving my bike for quite a while, quite often I forget to and its still the same when I come to start it
    You should be running 91 octane petrol. I am. 96 was worse with warming up
    When warned up, the engine sould idle at around 1500-1800rpm. I've got mine idling at about 1800rpm
    Cheers for the suggestions. The only thing I can think of from that is the spark plug

Bike
    In between bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixgtr
    Cheers for the suggestions. The only thing I can think of from that is the spark plug
    Changed mine at 12k so you are about due too. They cost about $15 dollars. Are tiny little things and fiddly to get at because of the chassis frame. Can't use the car sized removal tool on them, you'll need the one which is one size down.

Another very good point mentioned in this thread is the "split carb diaphram". The FXR model is well known to spilt them. Put this high up on your list.

Did it just recently start developing this starting problem?
    90% of the time spent writing this post was spent thinking of something witty to say. It may have been wasted.

Bike
    CBR, RGV Racer, Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyingpony
    Did it just recently start developing this starting problem?
    Its always been a bit of a bitch but has especially gotten worse in the last 2 weeks.

I heard about the split carb diaphrams before. Might pay to have a look when I'm checking the plug

Thread Information