Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble starting - FXR

Bike
    CBR, RGV Racer, Bucket

Trouble starting - FXR

Hey guys. I'm having trouble starting my FXR, especially in the cold mornings.

Ok, so what happens is: it will start first time, every time as long as I have the choke on full. As soon as I touch the choke, it dies. Once it's died the first time dont think about getting it started again. It took me about 10 mins this morning to get it going again. Once its going I have to leave the choke on full for at least 3 or 4 mins before it will let me drop it even slightly.

So i'm sitting out there at 7.30 in the morning with my bike revving at about 4000rpm, waking up all the neighbours.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Bike
    02 Piaggio X9 250
    I am not an expert but keep the choke on full and just put the bike into gear and ride off slowly and very very slowly open the throttle, and after a few blocks you should be able to turn down the choke.

If you keep the bike in a warmer place (garage) it should be easier to start.

Bike
    Goose
    [QUOTE=phoenixgtr]

So i'm sitting out there at 7.30 in the morning with my bike revving at about 4000rpm, waking up all the neighbours.

[QUOTE=phoenixgtr]

HAHA! Try 6.30am with my bike. I have a really steep driveway so it HAS to be warmed up completely before I even attempt to go! And I start my bike up in the craport right next to the neighbours bedroom...
    As for your problem id go with what Warren said... used to work a treat with the GN. Or just leave the choke on and maybe go have a word to your neighbours...
    "Some people are like clouds, once they fuck off, it's a great day!"

Bike
    CBR, RGV Racer, Bucket
    Cheers, but if I had a garage I would keep it in there. The colds not causing the problem, it's just making it worse. I still have to use the choke to get it going on a hot summers day

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixgtr
    Cheers, but if I had a garage I would keep it in there. The colds not causing the problem, it's just making it worse. I still have to use the choke to get it going on a hot summers day
    Souunds like (for whatever reason) you are running a pretty lean mixture.

That's what chokes are for, just use it as mentioned above.
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    CBR, RGV Racer, Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Str8 Jacket
    And I start my bike up in the craport right next to the neighbours bedroom...
    Hehehe...They must love you

RINGA DINGA DING

Bike
    Goose
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixgtr
    Hehehe...They must love you

RINGA DINGA DING
    Doesn't everybody?
    "Some people are like clouds, once they fuck off, it's a great day!"

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Sounds fairly normal for a single. Ratty would be much the same. I just start on full choke, leave it on full choke and limp up the drive out of immediate earshot of neighbours and wait a few minutes until I can back the choke off.

What sort of neighbours do you have that are still asleep at 0730 hours? Lazy sods, do them good to be wakened up.

Now, if I ever have to take out the GT750 early in the morning they WOULD have something to complain about. It will only run on two cylinders until it has warmed up with choke on for a few minutes.

And a 750cc two stroke revving up under your bedroom window is GUARANTEED to put an end to any notions of sleep!
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    CBR, RGV Racer, Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Str8 Jacket
    Doesn't everybody?
    Well of course

Cheers Ixion

Bike
    Honda NSR300 track hack
    Replace your sparkplug. It would suprise me if that doesnt fix it

Bike
    Honda PC800
    SNAP--I bet a new plug will help heaps
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    CBR, RGV Racer, Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by RG100!!
    Replace your sparkplug. It would suprise me if that doesnt fix it
    Or at least clean it?

I thought that might be a help

Cheers guys

Bike
    1979 Kawasaki Z1300

Not sure if it will help

I had one in the other week that needed a lot of choke, also it would not rev out fully and struggled going up hill.
    I tracked it down to a split carb diaphram, it wouldnt lift the slide. As I said I dont know if its relavent to your bike as I dont know if your carb has a diaphram. If it has it might be worth a look.

Bike
    dirty ns2fiddyr
    Check also connections on plug lead, coil etc, make sure no corrosion, maybe spray with CRC etc to drive off any water? Just a thought, yeah, and replace sparky, or clean and regap, but they are only ten bucks or something.
    Boyd hh er Suzuki are my heroes!
    The best deals, all the time!

Bike
    In between bikes
    Mine starts fine first pop every time without choke or throttle - obviously it won't idle for long so it'll then get throttle or choke depending if already geared up.

When is the last time you replaced your spark plug and cleaned your air filter?

Been playing with the carb screws?

Does it accept throttle while it's stuck on full choke?
    This relates to my next question, do you switch off the fuel tap?
    I've noticed if I do that and leave it sitting for a few weeks or happened to ride off into the sun set with it off - 350m splutter splutter, it's a bugger to restart because there's no fuel in the carb. Find myself waiting for a minute before there's enough petrol to start and then a few more with full choke until it's not touchy to throttle input or choke closure.

You should be running 91 octane petrol.
    When warned up, the engine sould idle at around 1500-1800rpm.
    90% of the time spent writing this post was spent thinking of something witty to say. It may have been wasted.

Thread Information