Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motorbike Mechanic in Auckland

Bike
    Lookn

Motorbike Mechanic in Auckland

Hi everyone!

I bought a ZZR250 last week. It came with no wof as it needs rear brake disc and rear wheel bearings. Just wondering if anyone knows a good and reasonably priced motorbike mechanic in Auckland? Preferably in eastern auckland or the city, or even the North Shore. Also if anyone knows how much these should cost etc?

Any help would be greatly apprecitated.
    Cheers

Bike
    Massey ferguson 7495 dyna-vt
    you wanna find a good reasonably price mechanic in that hole......bwwwwaaaaahhhh....its so frickin expensive up there a coffee cost ya $6:50..............
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Given the short comings of my riding style, it doesn't matter what I'm riding till I've got my shit in one sock.

Bike
    1996 ZZR 1100 D4,
    Its a long shot but try the usual suspects at Red Baron. There used to be an english guy there that was fluent with ZZRs he ironed out a few bugs on my ZZR1100. Cowpoos is right, aucks is expensive......
    9 down 26 to go

Bike
    fire breathin ginja ninja
    or just get the parts and do it yourself, and/or ask someone to help you, so you can learn more about your machine..

Bike
    Suzuki TL1000Sx 98
    Sorry can't help.. but welcome to KB =) Got pics of the new bike?
    You can't fight sleep.. if you feel tired, stop and rest!

Bike
    57 bmw r60

basic workshop night

gee maybee i should run another basic mechanic /workshop night then u could do it yourself

Bike
    Lookn
    cheers for your replies so far. ill try get some pics up soon. ill take sum pics of it this weekend...i dont kno shit all about bikes mechanically cause this is my first one. I agree that you should do bike mechanic training nights. i guess ill take it to red baron this weeeknd for a quote...

Bike
    Lookn
    Red Baron just quoted me $321 for the rear disc and $12.95 per bearing. Plus labour of $75. Seems quite alot. What do u all think?

Bike
    don't bother with new discs from the manufacturer, unless you have money to burn.. Why do you think, or were you told, that the rear discs needs replacing? Just wondering.

Anyway, troll round a few wreckers, there's plenty in auckland. When you find somewhere that has one, go see it before buying it. Make sure there's no cracks anywhere, make sure the thickness is still well off the service limit, and find anything dead flat and put the disc on to check for warpage. Any surface rust is fine, brakes do that. Any carrier/hub rust, just make sure it's not eating any stress points like around the rivets, if it's a riveted disc.

If no wreckers have discs for you, then there are a couple of places that make them up. I've got a pair of discs on the way back for me from a guy in Waihi, who's something like half the price of stock discs. And failing that, dare I say eBay..?? Just can't check before you buy..

Bearings, you get screwed. There aren't many after market ones available, so you'll have to buy them there. They can be a bitch to put in, depending on bike, so can't really comment on that. But don't rule out doing it yourself until you see the bearings, and if you're handy with stuff.
    The brake disc should be just 4 or so allen bolts, so that's easy as. And you know how to take the rear wheel off?

Bike
    Lookn
    the guy i bought the bike off gave me the last wof that he failed. on the comments part it says rear brake disc and wheel bearings....

Where are some wreckers in auckland? What do u mean by ' find anything dead flat and put the disc on to check for warpage'??

Where do u go to get them made up?

Iv done heaps of work on my cars in the past but have never had a motorbike so not sure really how to do anythign except put petrol in and ride it!!

Cheers 4 the help

Bike
    just go thru the yellow pages, there's a dozen wreckers around auckland. Just call them until you find one.

By putting the disc on something dead flat, if it's warped, the disc will be raised off the table (or whatever you've put it on). A warped disc is only good for throwing at people you don't like. If it's true, then the whole disc and nothing but the disc, will be flat on the table.

If you have to resort to getting one made, the guy I'm using is Graham Cornes - powermotorcycles@hotmail.com Email him and ask how much. You'll have to send your disc to him first, as he uses the carrier/hub, if they're floating. I'm fairly sure they're fixed (solid) tho, so you'll most likely have no idea what I'm on about.

Motorbikes are a lot like cars, just 2 less wheels to worry about.

Bike
    R6 & CRF sold, new bike is coming

Re good honest mechanic

try Kerry at Motohaus tyres

6 western springs rd Kingsland

next to Motomail.

he is honest and skilled.

I am sure many here on KB would agree.

F/F
    "Kiwi Biker, still a great place despite the mods "

"Would crawl over broken glass before owning Suzuki"

The only reason I only ride in the Iron man Class is I have no friends left to enter the two man events,
    my own fault really.

Bike
    97 Yamaha Virago

Cool

Go here for the list of bike wreckers:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=13359

Bike
    bucket of rusty old Italian bolts
    If you have done plenty of work on cars, you obviously ( hopefully ) know which end of the spanner to hold, so go and buy yourself a workshop manual. If the shop quoted you $75 labour, that is about how much a workshop manual will cost you. It will tell you how to fit the disc and wheel bearings, and everything else. So after this repair, all subsequent repairs will only cost you the price of the parts. As someone else said, a bike is the same as a car except 2 less wheels.

I have worked on old pommie cars forever and got my first bike recently ( Honda ), its a piece of cake to work on, and a workshop manual makes it even easier.

Good luck with the repairs.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    I have had a zzr250. Botany Honda has the knowledge to deal with the bike, because I asked (but they never actually serviced it - although someone else I know, I think had their zzr250 serviced by them). Obviously not being Kwaka, you don't get the parts cheap, or warranty stuff, but that doesn't count in your case.

For Kwaka, I would go Mt Eden, but they are very busy, normally 1.5 - 2 weeks waiting time. Busy for a reason, but a pain having to schedule in advance. I use them for my zx7r.

Manual, I have an electronic copy, if you needed a copy. If you live out east, then it will be easy.

Personal opinion, I wouldn't go red baron, having had a mate lied to, and heaps of others giving them a bad rep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Thread Information