Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why we like leather

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue

Why we like leather

Just a reminder of why most of us like leather when riding. The hapless rider highsided his SP1 coming out of Castrol today.
    I wonder how Cordura would have fared?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	376.1 KB 
ID:	1750   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	264.0 KB 
ID:	1751   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	176.3 KB 
ID:	1752  
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Bike
    K6 1000
    Its good stuff allright,howz his bike?

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    Quote Originally Posted by TILLER
    Its good stuff allright,howz his bike?
    Not too bad ..few scrapes, ding in the tank and snapped off a bar. a few bent bits. usual stuff. :disapint:
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    I recall a comment by journalist Gordon Jennings years ago in Cycle magazine. He said "nature never equipped cows to go down the road on their backsides at 100 mph" he was arguing in favour of synthetics over leather, yet all the pro riders still seem to favour cowhide. Any KBer's ever been down the road with synthetics? Comments?
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403
    I recall a comment by journalist Gordon Jennings years ago in Cycle magazine. He said "nature never equipped cows to go down the road on their backsides at 100 mph" he was arguing in favour of synthetics over leather, yet all the pro riders still seem to favour cowhide. Any KBer's ever been down the road with synthetics? Comments?
    I would love to know how the reality situation is, I thought Cordura actrually feared better,Im begining to wonder though. Would appreciate comments from those with experience in this
    Ive run out of fucks to give

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Some good questions, for some reason I seem to be growing out of my leathers again :confused2 and I am thinking about replacing them with that gortex fabric or what ever you call it stuff!
    Anyhow I've been told that its warmer, dryer and lighter all better points over leather but how does it hold up compaired to leather, in a slide down the road situation??
    And then theres the....... you know, its not leather aye, and thats what real bikers wear
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    And of course synthetic will never have that smell that you get standing round the bonfire at a rally
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    2008 DRZ400E & 1983 CB152T
    I saw some tests of synthetic vs leather and leather has about 5 times more durability in a slide down the road.

For me i will never switch from leather.

Bike
    08 ZX-6R Race Bike, FXR150
    For me it is weather dependant, if it is fine i wear leather, if it is raining i wear cordura (due to the fact it is water proof) im thinking about getting a draggin jeans kevlar jacket for underneath the cordura jacket......

Bike
    Honda PC800
    those fancy artificial suits aparently stand up well in an "average " crash--yea like i want to find out my crash wasn't average
    t
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Speedway riders seem to be moving away from leather these days,I haven't inspected one up very close....those guys don't like touchy feely...but are purpose built for the job.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    None
    The closest thing i have to a jacket is my Denim one.
    Life sucks as a poor student

But I always try and get the happy days tune in my head before I go riding to cheer me up

-Indy
    Hey, kids! Captain Hero here with Getting Laid Tip 213 - The Backrub Buddy!

Find a chick who’s just been dumped and comfort her by massaging her shoulders, and soon, she’ll be massaging your prostate.

Bike
    BMW R65LS, part time R75 old fart rider
    Get thee to a Savemart immediately...... I picked up a touring jacket for $25 at savemart New Lynn. There is also normally a good selection of leather jackets (pricey-ish at about $80), and a lot of other jackets. If you know what you are looking for , you ought to be able to get something better than denim!!! and for a cheap price too...
    Queiro voya todo Europa con mi moto.... pero no tengo suficiente tiempo o dinero.....

Bike
    None
    Might pop into savemart sometime, they sell second hand gruds for like $3.........who the Hell wants to wear someone's gruds

-Indy
    Hey, kids! Captain Hero here with Getting Laid Tip 213 - The Backrub Buddy!

Find a chick who’s just been dumped and comfort her by massaging her shoulders, and soon, she’ll be massaging your prostate.

Bike
    06, 636
    Hey I can answer this question for certain….came off twice ….once wearing non leather (didn’t have money to buy leather yet!! ) and the other time all leather….1st time it took a huge chunk off my left knee along with a huge elbow bruise and lots a other scratches (some of’em were real deep)…other time nothing other then couple of scratches on my palm and my leather got all the punishment…so I think when it comes to u coming off, nothing can save u more then leather…al least that’s what I experienced…and I ain’t switching to anything from my leather…

And a dumb ques again: what is a dragging jeans ? is it just like a normal jeans just a bit thicker?...

Thread Information