Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: urgent tyre advice

Bike
    Tojo and nothing. Damnit.
    Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy
    Are they? - Well taken your and a few other people's advice and gone with the GPR's.
    I know you probably have not even scrubbed them in, but what do you reckon?

Bike
    justsomebike
    Quote Originally Posted by limbimtimwim
    I know you probably have not even scrubbed them in, but what do you reckon?
    Only got them on today. Went for a blat down the motorway to the city to see the launch and back home. Done about 30 kms in total.

They are beautiful in the wet. Didn't go for any lean angle, still have 1 inch chicken strips, but the grip was awesome.

I'm going out on the track tomorrow regardless of the weather. I trust these tyres, now I just have to learn to trust myself.

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy
    Done about 30 kms in total

I'm going out on the track tomorrow regardless of the weather. I trust these tyres
    Might pay to scrub them in before trusting them.......

Bike
    justsomebike
    Quote Originally Posted by sAsLEX
    Might pay to scrub them in before trusting them.......
    Is there anyway to do this without having to ride on the bloody wet and slippery roads??

Bike
    K1 GSXR 750
    Dry Warm Grippy roads.....

sorry.....
    K1 GSEXR 750 im in love....

Bike
    Cagiva Raptor 650, ZX-10R
    So, how've the tyres been? Keen to know... Thanks!

I have irc somethings on my bandit at the mo, and am generally paranoid about leaning over in bends... especially in the wet, with metal manhole covers every 4 metres. Can you really lean and not fall over? I guess it makes sense in theory with centrifugal force and all... Just feels wrong, ya know? haha!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

Bike
    justsomebike
    Quote Originally Posted by Bend-it
    So, how've the tyres been? Keen to know... Thanks!

I have irc somethings on my bandit at the mo, and am generally paranoid about leaning over in bends... especially in the wet, with metal manhole covers every 4 metres. Can you really lean and not fall over? I guess it makes sense in theory with centrifugal force and all... Just feels wrong, ya know? haha!
    Leaning over has more to do with skill and experience, tyres help but it's more the rider than tyres. Purely leaning more doesn't mean going faster, different people have different styles, some hang off and stick their knee out, others sit on the bike - both styles can be equally fast.

If you want to push hard in the wet try and hang off more, not lean the bike over.

The tyres are great, they gripped well and I felt comfortable going just as hard in the wet.

I think they would be good for maybe 2 trackdays or around 200-250 kms in total on a track like Pukekohe at my riding level.

On the road I hope they last for a few thousand at least. I don't commute and only ride country roads and do the odd trackday so they're perfect for me.

What sort of riding do you do?

Bike
    06 10 WITH ALL THE FANCY BITS
    DID YOU CHECK THE HEADLIGHT WARNING FLUID LEVEL AND THE TYRE OIL PRESSURE BEFORE SETTING OUT UPON THE ROADs IN THE HOPE OF A TOOTLING EXHAUST BOX EXPLODE?

IRC's ARE SHIT for all out speed buuuut teach you how to slide easy . Nuff said.

Bike
    fire breathin ginja ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by Bend-it
    Can you really lean and not fall over? I guess it makes sense in theory with centrifugal force and all... Just feels wrong, ya know? haha!
    I'd recommend you start back on a push bike if that's a serious question..
    and yeah, manhole covers and white lines are to be avoided in the wet..

JSG, you reckon you'd get 200kms or 2 track days out of a pair of tyres on the track? you doing burnouts on them or something?

Bike
    06 10 WITH ALL THE FANCY BITS
    Quote Originally Posted by bugjuice
    JSG, you reckon you'd get 200kms or 2 track days out of a pair of tyres on the track? you doing burnouts on them or something?
    He is checking his oil while drifting on the crankcase bro. Duuuuh!

What did you get in the end JSG?

Bike
    justsomebike
    Quote Originally Posted by N4CR
    He is checking his oil while drifting on the crankcase bro. Duuuuh!

What did you get in the end JSG?
    A pair of GPR70's.

Bike
    justsomebike
    Tyres look thoroughly shagged with bits of rubber falling off. The guys at the track reckon most of that stuff will scrub off with road riding.

So I don't really know for sure. The front tyre looks wayyyyyy newer than the back - why?? It's only a 250.

Bike
    fire breathin ginja ninja
    250 and 400 cc racers can do several meets on a pair of tyres, that's why I ask. Unless you were being towed and/or going flat out none stop, I'd be asking for my money back on those. The blistering/balls of rubber will scrub off on the road, and the tyre will look none the better for being on the road. The amount you probably scrubbed off on the track would most likely be less than what you'd do going round the coro loop. And how many times would you be going round there on one set of tyres?

Hell, even me on a road going 600 would expect more than 2 track days out of a pair of tyres.. Yes, I know some can fuk'em in one, but there aren't many

Bike
    justsomebike
    250 and 400 cc racers can do several meets on a pair of tyres, that's why I ask. Unless you were being towed and/or going flat out none stop, I'd be asking for my money back on those. The blistering/balls of rubber will scrub off on the road, and the tyre will look none the better for being on the road.
    Right - have only done the Puke trackday and back home. Shall see how they pan out.

The amount you probably scrubbed off on the track would most likely be less than what you'd do going round the coro loop. And how many times would you be going round there on one set of tyres?

Hell, even me on a road going 600 would expect more than 2 track days out of a pair of tyres.. Yes, I know some can fuk'em in one, but there aren't many
    You're right I do scrub off more surface on the loop. I guess since this is the first time I've had tyres in this condition I need to sit it out and see how long they actually last. May go out there this Sat too weather dependant, I want at least one dry session.

Bike
    a bruised CBR600 F4i
    Hiya, i had GPR70s and 80s on my cibbe, and they were both sweeeet (70s a bit sweeeter) gotta ask, how much wet riding are you gonna be doin wet? roadtryres always built to suit a varity of conditions man, if its a dedicated tracker, get wets for wet? hope this helps sway your decision. MC22. nice.
    It is only when we have lost everything that we are free to do anything.

Thread Information