Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Go Fast(er) Bits!!! Where to start?

Bike
    Honda CBR250RR, Sach's MADASS 125
    Blog Entries

Go Fast(er) Bits!!! Where to start?

Righty...

I've had my kawasaki zxr250a for 3 weeks now, and im used to the power

And i dont like that, im looking for that unpredictable lil burble of torque and POWER that'll leave one arm flapping behind me as i approach any - km/h

Unfortunatly, my kawa has 60,000 km's on it, and on wednesday it'll be sent to the doct0rz for a camchain replacement, de-carb and de-sludge, oil change and a K&n Air filter stuck in.
    So thats the heavy maintainance taken care of now for the GOFAST(er) bits..

Where do i start?
    i was thinking of a higher voltage coil, and those sparkplugs with the 4 firing points instead of one. And the major tune of gettin it dyno tuned

Have a suggestion? and no im not wasting my monmey trying to polish a turd either, and i certainly cant afford a bike with lower km's and more power, so the mods have to come with a tiny price tag
    Feel free to suggest anything! (for those that dont know thier kawa's, its already got a ram air system)
    "Speed has never killed anyone!.... Suddenly becoming stationary, That's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson, Season 3 Topgear

Bike
    dirty ns2fiddyr
    Basics, Clean and gap spark plugs, make sure air filter and carbies are clean, well balanced, wash it, and paint it red. Other than that, torque and 250 4s just don't really go in the same sentence.
    Boyd hh er Suzuki are my heroes!
    The best deals, all the time!

Bike
    2010 DC Skate Shoes
    ram air on the 250 is a myth mate. How do i know, i built one from scratch, and there is nothing connecting the airflow to the airbox, the intake is on the lefthand side. Bottom line is it's a 250, so there isnt much worth doing to it, unless you have a massive budget - which you've already said you dont.

You may be able to de-restrict it via a limiter in the speedo, but i dont know much about that. Only thing i can think of is getting a more open exhaust system such as a DIC or BEET. Then it needs to be tuned to the pipe, that will give you 1-2hp extra max. Main thing about 250's is to keep them in good shape, so get the valves done - will cost between $250-400 depending on how much work needs doing.

You wont see a 250 four cylinder, four stroke getting much more engine performance than they come with, unless you want to cash out on lighter pistons, rods and a lighter flywheel, and custom cams etc. But that would cost thousands and in the end isnt worth it.

Like we say to everyone, get the best tyres - GPR70's seem to be the bizzo at the moment, and get your brakes and suspension in tip top shape. Then learn to ride the nuts off of it. If you cant do that already then there is no need for extra power.

The only realistic solution for more power is a bigger bike or a two stroke.
    KiwiBitcher
    where opinion holds more weight than fact.

It's better to not pass and know that you could have than to pass and find out that you can't. Wait for the straight.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by gareth_d
    The only realistic solution for more power is a bigger bike or a two stroke.
    Or go turbo and nos!!

Bike
    2010 DC Skate Shoes
    haha yeh, but he did mention a smallish tiny budget.

just to show you how it all works produckt i have attached 3 pictures of my old bike when it was in pieces.

first pic is of the airflow created by the fairings and k-ras/k-cas

second pic shows where the air intake for the engine actually is.

third pic: red arrow shows air intake port, blue shows the connecting flange. I found that it seemed to run better minus the flange but i may have just been imagining.

Note however that there is no entrance at all in to the airbox(the black plastic bit on top of the engine) which is where the air from the hoses is directed. It simply puts 'cool air' behind the radiator to help keep the bikes temp down a bit while being run continuosly at high speed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	useless-airflow.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	29779   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	intake.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	29780   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	engine.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	142.9 KB 
ID:	29781  
    KiwiBitcher

It's better to not pass and know that you could have than to pass and find out that you can't. Wait for the straight.

Bike
    Aprilia RSV1000RR
    Take all the lights off, throw the speedo in the bin, and go on a diet. All that wont cost ya a cent.. unless you get pulled over, or crash.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    wow, now i think somehow i've bought a lame misleading bike *sob
    Ahh well, now that i know that kawasaki have done a poor job of thier acclaimed 'ram air system' all thats left to do is improve it
    "Speed has never killed anyone!.... Suddenly becoming stationary, That's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson, Season 3 Topgear

Bike
    2010 DC Skate Shoes
    yeh, i had a spare left hand fairing and was gonna put a subaru scoop on the side to force more air in. The hard part is getting the velocity vs volume right because you want to make sure you are pushing the air in, otherwise you might as well take the air box off and get it tuned to run without it.

That's bad for the engine though, and it's also a real arse to tune.
    KiwiBitcher

Bike
    Aquired by locals
    Mate, there is not alot you can do to the bike that will make it much faster, They are pretty will tuned from the word go.
    To every man upon this earth
    Death cometh sooner or late
    And how can a man die better
    Than facing fearful odds
    For the ashes of his fathers
    And the temples of his Gods

Bike
    Blog Entries
    I'd drop a 2smoka in it if i had the time money and paitence.
    Ahh there are soo many ideas floatin round, Im suprised noone has suggested lightening the bike, or getting a set of lighter rims or this that and the other bloody thing. Btw which side of ferry road is wilsons road?

Bike
    Aquired by locals
    Lightening the bikes a great idea, but how do you plan on doing it?

The thing with buying a zxr/cbr 250 is both are really the fastest of 250's cause they come out of manafactures like that, bar changing carbs, plugs and pipe, there aint a shit load you can do.

BTW, why a 2 stroke in a 4 stroke bike??
    To every man upon this earth
    Death cometh sooner or late
    And how can a man die better
    Than facing fearful odds
    For the ashes of his fathers
    And the temples of his Gods

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Was just stirring shit bout chuckin a 2smoka on it :P
    As with reducing weight, i do have a contact whos able to press CF to most custom shapes based on his mould library.... Now to find his phone number

Bike
    Massey ferguson 7495 dyna-vt
    I seriously doubt you can ride the bike to it's limits mate...why not just get out there and ride...practise your cornering...Etc...

Zxr250's are neat lil bikes...handle really well...just ride it till you can get ya full and then upgrade...your pissing against the wind if you think your gunna find much more HP in one of those bikes...
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Given the short comings of my riding style, it doesn't matter what I'm riding till I've got my shit in one sock.

Bike
    2004 krr zx150
    Quote Originally Posted by gareth_d
    haha yeh, but he did mention a smallish tiny budget.

just to show you how it all works produckt i have attached 3 pictures of my old bike when it was in pieces.

first pic is of the airflow created by the fairings and k-ras/k-cas

second pic shows where the air intake for the engine actually is.

third pic: red arrow shows air intake port, blue shows the connecting flange. I found that it seemed to run better minus the flange but i may have just been imagining.

Note however that there is no entrance at all in to the airbox(the black plastic bit on top of the engine) which is where the air from the hoses is directed. It simply puts 'cool air' behind the radiator to help keep the bikes temp down a bit while being run continuosly at high speed.
    Funny, but I never thought the k-ras refered to the hoses at all, but to the fairing air intake. That's where the k-ras sticker is located after all (at least on my old zxr250C anyway).

Bike
    1990 Kawasaki ZXR250A
    Quote Originally Posted by cowpoos
    I seriously doubt you can ride the bike to it's limits mate...why not just get out there and ride...practise your cornering...Etc...

Zxr250's are neat lil bikes...handle really well...just ride it till you can get ya full and then upgrade...your pissing against the wind if you think your gunna find much more HP in one of those bikes...
    I think I can see where produkt is coming from - given that he's under 25 y/o it's probably going to take ages to get his full licence

why not just ride it for a while, then sell and buy a two stroke? I got nailed at the lights by some young guy the other week who was on a 2 stroke... can't remember what it was but it was pretty f'n quick
    Well the music is your special friend, dance on fire as it intends
    Music is your only friend, until the end
    Until the end
    Until the end!
    The Doors - When The Music's Over

Thread Information