Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: CX500 owners?

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous
    So to answeer ya Q, bored out new ground cam etc bigger carbs and a home built pipe (turbo flow resionators) altho it did loose some top end wit these.
    With the use of the heavest fork oil I could get and 3 10c pieces in each fork that bike hauled some decent arse for me for over 10yrs
    So what you're saying is that you had to modify it substantially to get it go any good and handle

hence why the EFE fairing still prosides in the garage
    Best fucking place for it, see that it stays there
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Bikes!
    What? 60 cents and some oil is 'substantial'??

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    See there's one or by now was one in the CHCH Press this morning, it was actually a CX400 Euro, the ad read OK they wanted $500 ono

would have been an alright hack/work bike

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by imdying
    What? 60 cents and some oil is 'substantial'??
    never let the facts get in the way of a good slagging off

You missed the night of horror we were subjected to with his drunken ramblings regarding the CX500, it has left a large portion of the Chch contingent psychollogically scarred for life
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha
    So what you're saying is that you had to modify it substantially to get it go any good and handle
    Look here roger... I made it go better and handle even more beter'a than Mr Honda could.

Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha
    You missed the night of horror we were subjected to with his drunken ramblings regarding the CX500, it has left a large portion of the Chch contingent psychollogically scarred for life
    emmm, I musn't drink so much at our BBQ's aye.
    BTW kick just for you, I don't believe you saw the frame, note the amp and oil pressure gauges also mount in centre for radar detector.... AWASOME SHIT

PS: check ya spelling -----> psychologically
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01396.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	30181  
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Look here roger... I made it go better and handle even more beter'a than Mr Honda could.

emmm, I musn't drink so much at our BBQ's aye.
    BTW kick just for you, I don't believe you saw the frame, note the amp and oil pressure gauges also mount in centre for radar detector.... AWASOME SHIT

PS: check ya spelling -----> psychologically
    Lol. hmmmm, I know a nice blue cx, well a rather delpidated looking blue thing, that frame and fairing would mount straight onto .

I can quite happily carry on the CXrider dribbly mess symdrome without much effort at all, if that helps

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport

Here she is in all her glory

Already started "tinkering". It's deffinately a '78 model btw.

Name:	Imag0127.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	30339   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Imag0128.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	30340   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Imag0129.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	30341  

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez
    Already started "tinkering". It's deffinately a '78 model btw.
    Yup 78 alright... and not looking too shabby considering its age
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Well, well. Took the thing to work today, after waking the neighbors with the exhaust note and was promply asked if I wanted to sell it. Now this is the second bike I have that this has happened in the last 6 months. The first one was the GB400.

Must be doing something right ah?

Went for a night run this evening just to get an idea of what the headlamp was like. Fucken brilliant! Sorted out the back lights, just needed new bulbs. Super Cheap Autos to the rescue there. Got into a panic though. Moths must have taken the CX's keys while I was getting out the wallet. Panic stations for about 10 minutes looking for them. Will get a spare set cut and third party insurance on the morrow......

The sooner I toss the tires the better though. Both old and as hard as wood. Still got to the outer edge of the tread pattern on both though. Talk about ground clearence, almost as much as a chook chaser.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Out pricing tyres yesterday arvo. Decided to get my old favorates ME33s and 55s. Will buy a set next week. Had an interesting chat to the nice parts salesman at Phil Turnbulls re tyres in general. They'll be getting in Lasertechs in once stocks of the 33/55s go. It'll be interesting to see how the new compound compares with the old one. Could have gotton a rear duel compound Bridgestone, but like the idea of groves down the centre of the tire.

On the way home down Vogel Str a gent on a prestine sprot bike dressed in matching leathers, as they do, hesitated a bit before finally acknowleging my wave. I'd just like to say WELL DONE , whoever you were, for acknowlaging me on my struffy old shitter. It made my afternoon. Certainly a good end to a busy week at work. It's simple things like this that make me appreciate motorcycling.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    An extra 5 psi in the rear tyre sorted the handling problem. Relocated the brake line and put new brake fluid in the it, as I'd noticed some black gung at the bottem of the resevour. Cleaned that out with an old cloth. Much better feel now. Steering head bearings will be next, and front spring tweeks.

Must'nt get too carried away on the thing though, as I need to wip the head off the cb550, slap a new head gasket on and give its carbs a recon. Things to do...............

Any chance of having this thread move to the touring tweaking section? I'll keep it updated there on things I do to the "Flying Pig"

Edit- Got a bit more history on it. Came from Auckland. Apperently it clicked over 100,000kms at Invercagil many moons ago. Owner previous to Rodger had it for 12 odd years and it's definately done 200,000kms plus. The dash was swapped in 2003 with 224,358kms up. Had a good look around the engine, just a slight weeping around the gearshift lever seal. The engines obvoiusly been out and worked on though. Rego is 1FOW, so if any of you up north know anything about it I'd be interested in hearing from you.

Another usefull tidbit-Engines numbers prior to 2034366 had the lefthand cam chain guide bolt problem.

Bike
    2007 Kawasaki ER6F
    Was looking for a CX500 if I couldn't fing a GB. Used to run with a guy in the marathon clinic, an ex motorcycle mechanic, who had several in his shed, said they were an underrated bike. I quite liked their "unusual" styling
    Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom
    Was looking for a CX500 if I couldn't fing a GB. Used to run with a guy in the marathon clinic, an ex motorcycle mechanic, who had several in his shed, said they were an underrated bike. I quite liked their "unusual" styling
    Pete you obviously have decerning taste .

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Looks like the old tart is shaping up for you Bonez.

Well I just missed out on a CX tonight... was hopefull but time ran out on the bidding, it said 14min left I refreshed and bingo... closed.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...n-54219303.htm

Now with only 3000k on it thats bloody awesome but the owner emailed me some close ups and I was disapointed so decided $6500-6800 was my limit. Would have gone over that if it was in the condition that my 500 Turb was in.

Name:	650TD.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	30789   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 130.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	30790   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 131.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	30791   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 132.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	30792  
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Looks like the old tart is shaping up for you Bonez.

Well I just missed out on a CX tonight... was hopefull but time ran out on the bidding, it said 14min left I refreshed and bingo... closed.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...n-54219303.htm

Now with only 3000k on it thats bloody awesome but the owner emailed me some close ups and I was disapointed so decided $6500-6800 was my limit. Would have gone over that if it was in the condition that my 500 Turb was in.
    Yes you certainly have to set limits alright. There's two standard one's on Trademe at the mo. The red one in Wellywood looks interesting.

I've budgeted around $1500 to tidy up my one. In no hurry, hey and maybe someone will offer me a reasonable price for it in the meantime. Wont reveal my purchase price though Who knows. I've certainly been lucky in my m/cs selection. Seem to get my pound of flesh out of bikes others consider highmillage and mundane .

Thread Information