Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tyre balancing ?

Bike
    "02 Aprilia Mille
    Quote Originally Posted by firestormer
    As for the VTR, it seems fine, whether the tyres/wheels were properly balanced or not. Mind you, I haven't had it up to 200 yet...
    Why not ??
    Wait till you get a shake on at over 220 - lots of fun to be had there !!

Bike
    '87 CR500, '10 RM144
    Dynamic balancing definately is far superior to static balancing,it takes into account the twisting motion imparted on the wheel when you get two heavy spots opposing each other diagonally.....

Bike
    TL1000S , XB12R
    Ronnie, I would guess we have our tyres replaced at the same place. The weights always seem to be in a different place and I would suspect that tyres are seldom uniform. I have never experienced any balance problems and I am on the 4th rear tyre in 12 months.
    The Trip to Puke , 200kms on the track and back have taken a toll on the 1 week old tyre to

Anyway where were you Saturday ?? I rode back from Auckland , Had lunch , adjusted and lubed my chain , met the guys for the 2.00pm ride

Dave

Bike
    "02 Aprilia Mille

Unhappy

Yea sorry Dave for letting you guys down - I heard only a few turned up !
    I was on a pub crawl which is a fair exscuse I reckon and I didnt see you at the Puketapu around 6pm ?

Bike
    Honda PC800
    lots of us turned up at pukie --it was a total blast.
    I used to static balance my tyres but I was pretty careful to put the heavy part of the tyre in the right place. never needed much in the way of weights
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    "02 Aprilia Mille

Red face

It looks like its not that bigger deal really but I may just leave their weights on for peace of mind as I quite like going flat out and it is a "hire-bus" after all !

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by DEATH_INC.
    Dynamic balancing definately is far superior to static balancing .....

dead right,if you static balance to zero,you are always are left with a dynamic imbalace,in saying that and working in the tyre industry I have very rarely ever balanced my motorcycle wheels and have never detected a problem,but we solved a vibration probem on my brothers bike by balancing his.
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    2000 BMW F650GS Dakar
    As a side question... is it standard for motorcycle shops to "Dynamically" balance wheels/tyres (as opposed to the eenie-meenie-minie-mo method below), or if you want them dyn balanced, do you have to specifically find a mechanic shop with a dyn balancing machine?

I've been told that a budget balancing method is to support the bike with the wheels off the ground, then apply proper weights to the rim until the wheel doesn't rotate by itself. I don't really want to do that, and would rather get a machine to balance it exactly (like everyone does with cars).

I reckon its much more important to get a bike balanced than a car, as the bike mass is much less, therefore the unbalanced wheels will be able to shake the bike (and the rider) around more. And if you analyse the forces holding the tyre to the road, when its unbalanced, the wheel will be causing the downwards force on the road to vary, therefore changing the friction between the tyre and the road. Don't know about you guys, but I'm all for maximum and constant friction between my rubber and the tarmac!

Bike
    '87 CR500, '10 RM144
    The lift the bike off the ground method works,if you remove the brake calipers and chain ect,but it's a static balance.
    Any half-decent bike tyre shop (motohaus for ex.)will dynamically balance your wheels,it's not much harder than doing a static on a machine,but it prolly pays to ask,just to be sure.....

Bike
    YAMAHA TDM 850 (1992)

motomail places weights in the middle...

i bought my tyres at motomail (auckland) and i am happy with price and service...
    they don't use the ugly sticky weights....
    cya, marcus
    ---------------
    Had rain in NZ -- more than the average kiwi...
    15.000km and 90 mile beach is nice...

Thread Information