Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The right hand rule

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sAsLEX
    They copy them an awful lot which is disturbing! Soon we could have 3km/h speeding tolerances and the like! Who cares that our speedos are only like 7% accurate or something at the best of times( heard this somewhere so could be wrong)
    That's quite true, and can be amplified by fitting non-manufacturer specified tyres, because a different rolling diameter can affect overall gearing.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    'o6 Spewzooki Banned it.
    Then there's the people who think there's a 'main road' rule. They don't have to give way when turning right into vehicle entrances, eg. supermarkets, if they're on the main road.
    There's also the 'confusion rule' at roundabouts, everyones confused, so no-one moves.
    Still, we coped with the first right hand rule change in '77 or has society dumbed down too much since then?

Bike
    Manx TT by Sega
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Girardin
    Then there's the people who think there's a 'main road' rule. They don't have to give way when turning right into vehicle entrances, eg. supermarkets, if they're on the main road.
    Hell yes this is by far the worst. I have noticed many of the larger supermarkets have actually taken to putting stop signs at the exits of their car parks for this very reason - as I know Upper Hutt Pak N Save has had a number of fender benders at their Gibbons St entrance.

Roundabouts are another of my pet hates. Four cars all arrive at the roundabout at the same time....all four should go together - it is the way they were designed. HOWEVER - Roundabouts are stupid where traffic has a dominant flow from one direction. Take the Petone Roundabout. If you are tying to turn on to the Esplanade to go over to the Motorway - at certain times you have shit show as the traffic coming off the Motorway has right of way.....this causes MASSIVE traffic hold ups - and people trying to be idiots because they are sick of waiting.

And - don't get me started on the F&*ken Panmure Roundabout - that thing is a transit disaster. Oh - and then theres the Royal Oak Roundabout - second only to the Panmure Roundabout. I am sure both of these were designed and built by the Auckland Panelbeaters Guild.

And what about Upper Hutts roading system....if you aren't going round and round, you are going up and down.....for a town that is predominantly comprised of people who learnt to drive in Model T's - why the F&^K did they decide that so many Round About would have be a good thing? They get scared at 20kph - let alone an uncontrolled intersection where they need to make their own decision.

What is up with these multiple lane roundabouts - christ that is asking for the 'Mum and 3 Kids who never drive in town is in the wrong lane and is late for soccer practice' manuveur.

Right I feel better now

Bike
    GSXR600K3 - Alstare
    Shit mate you should come to Blenheim. Due to the fact that it is highly populated by yokles it means that all road rules go out the window.
    1. Wut the fuck do you need indicators for? Well round here they dont use em so you have to stop at every roundabout to see where the car is goin.
    2. It doesn't matter if you were in the right cus the yokle always knows best and can never be wrong.

Seriously some of em need a good slap around the head so they realise wut the hell they are doin. The yokles children are even worse, couple of weeks back a car in the train station carpark on a fri night (where ya meet for skids). comes from off the road at say 100 and speeds up thru the carpark only to discover wut a lamppost looks like when it becomes part of your car. Fucken idoits i tell ya. At least there are more normal people moving here due to them buyin and runnin vineyards!
    Those who dont learn from history, are doomed to repeat it.

Bike
    2011 CB1000R
    And then there is Tauranga with its massive transit dilema and 'retired' population who not only fear roundabouts, speeds above 45km/h, multi lane roads, merging like a zip and seem to have forgotten that modern cars have indicators so you can let others know which lane you intend to use....then the soccer mums who have all, recently moved here from all the bigger cities where poor driving is a given...LOL
    Ya gota laugh, keep your eyes on every vehicle around you and get where you're going safely.Whereas most cagers drive with both eyes on their bonnet, frowning, and get where they're going with little concern for safety 'cause I'm in a SUV so F%^K off...
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    etiquette? treat it like every other vehicle on the road, assume they are a blind, ignorant brainless cunt who is out to kill you, and ride accordingly

Bike
    Registered. For now...
    Quote Originally Posted by madandy
    And then there is Tauranga ...the soccer mums who have all, recently moved here from all the bigger cities where poor driving is a given...
    Over a couple of recent trips to Auckland, I have to say that the Auck drivers are a bloody sight more considerate than those in Tauranga. A right turn out of AMPS onto Khyber Pass at 4pm was a cinch (just like Lou said it would be), whereas Tauranga drivers believe that when their lane of traffic stops, it is necessary to completely block all intersections and prevent anyone else from entering the traffic flow.

Oh yeah, the RH rule came in mid 1977. It did make life in the Hutt interesting for a while, but looking back I think it actually made people think about what they were doing. A little bit...
    ACC - It's where the Enron accountants all went.

Bike
    2011 CB1000R
    Quote Originally Posted by What?
    Over a couple of recent trips to Auckland, I have to say that the Auck drivers are a bloody sight more considerate than those in Tauranga. Tauranga drivers believe that when their lane of traffic stops, it is necessary to completely block all intersections and prevent anyone else from entering the traffic flow.

I have to agree with you but as Tauranga's population has doubled in the last 10-15 years or so where do you reckon everyone has moved here from? Obviously not Auckland?
    I guess people here are slow to adapt to our traffic issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    etiquette? treat it like every other vehicle on the road, assume they are a blind, ignorant brainless cunt who is out to kill you, and ride accordingly

Bike
    Indian Scout

Thumbs down Tauranga drivers - say no more!

And then there is Tauranga with its massive transit dilema and 'retired' population ...
    Tauranga drivers have to win the OSCAR award for most ignorant and inconsiderate prats on the road. That's the Obnoxious Shitheads in a CAR award.

Bike
    '89 GSXR250
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Dunn
    Tauranga drivers have to win the OSCAR award for most ignorant and inconsiderate prats on the road. That's the Obnoxious Shitheads in a CAR award.
    Tell me about it!!!!!!
    It's pretty scary when you are on the back ( me on the back with madandy) and cars want to merge, not like a zip but more like "cars before bikes". Some clown in a SS Commonwhore tried to race us to be next in line in a stationary queue on the harbour bridge I could have......or should I say, I should have, kicked his door in! And the ignorant prick didn't look at us once! Had there of been contact it would have been another case of...."I didn't see them!" Yes thats right.........bright red bike, multi coloured helmet and jackets, lights on, finger in your face............what else do you need???????? Oh and we were on his right!

Bike
    'o6 Spewzooki Banned it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazuki
    Tell me about it!!!!!!
    ......or should I say, I should have, kicked his door in! And the ignorant prick didn't look at us once! Had there of been contact it would have been another case of...."I didn't see them!" Yes thats right.........bright red bike, multi coloured helmet and jackets, lights on, finger in your face............what else do you need???????? Oh and we were on his right!
    Funny how they avoid eye contact. Try the 'how fast can I lock my door' test. Just pull up behind and get off your bike.
    As for roundabouts, on the Shore they seem to be replacing them with lights. Phased to keep you stopped at a right turn for hours, with no traffic coming.
    Lou

Bike
    Registered. For now...
    so where do you reckon everyone has moved here from?
    The boondocks. Places where traffic lights aren't.
    ACC - It's where the Enron accountants all went.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    How about, four way stop signs? Why can people not understand, that it is exactly the same, as a roundabout?
    I've had, many a new pair of undies, requiring moment at those.
    Again it is a simple matter of, giving way to the right, and no bastard, read the book, in enough detail to realise it.

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Girardin
    Funny how they avoid eye contact. Try the 'how fast can I lock my door' test. Just pull up behind and get off your bike.
    As for roundabouts, on the Shore they seem to be replacing them with lights. Phased to keep you stopped at a right turn for hours, with no traffic coming.
    Lou
    I don't know why NZ doesn't introduce a "left-turn on red" rule, as found in some other parts of the world.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher
    I don't know why NZ doesn't introduce a "left-turn on red" rule, as found in some other parts of the world.
    Yep USA has "right turn on red" unless there is a sign that says not to. You have to treat it like a "Stop" sign, stop, look and if all clear then proceed. Works well, and would do wonders for us at many a set of lights if we could freely turn left if no cars are coming from the right.
    Cheers

Merv

i hate tauranga traffic, one reason i ride the bike all the time, i can get where i am going and not get held up so much. I would much perfer to riding/driving in auckland at least most of people up there know where the hell they are going and going there not here, where everone seams to be out for sunday drive every day. I have kicked alot of doors in on the bike over the years, just people not looking, correctly

Thread Information