Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The right hand rule

Bike
    2001 Yamaha FAZER 600S

If you liked that one.............

Apologies if this is the wrong place but what the hell:

How do you castrate a Frenchman?
    Kick his sister in the jaw

How long dos it take French women to have a shit?
    9 months

What do you call a Frenchman with a goat under one arm and a sheep under the other?
    Bisexual

Since the Terrorist bombs in Madrid the alert in Paris has been raised from "Run and hide" to "Surrender and Collaborate"

What`s got 30,000 legs and sunburnt armpits?
    The French Army

What did the Mayor of Paris say when the Germans entered Paris?
    "Table for 100,000?"

Computer tip:Install the French version of Windows.........it runs a lot faster.

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu
    Equal in now the right hand rule applies - if you are at a T intersection and wish to turn right then the vehicle turning right into your road has to give way to you - you are on their right.At a controled intersection you give way to them.
    Nowadays the right hand rule reads something like this:

1. If you are going straight ahead, give way to all vehicles coming straight through from your right.
    2. If you are turning, give way to all vehicles not turning.
    3. If you are turning left, give way to vehicles coming towards you that are turning right.
    4. If you are turning right, give way to vehicles on your right that are turning right.
    5. If you are leaving the path of the centre line, you are turning. You must give way to vehicles that are following the centre line.

In the old days the rule used to say if both vehicles are turning right courtesy applied and it was left to the drivers to choose. I guess they found out most people are discourteous and that didn't work, hence they introduced rule 4 above I think in the 1977 changes. That makes good sense to me because it prevents the need for one vehicle to swing right around in front of the other. Motu's example above highlights this and shows how people should not be turning in front of you if you are turning right out of an uncontrolled T junction. The number of people that try to do this in the area I live in is just phenomenal. They won't have read a rode code for as long as they can remember.

However, comment has been made about a main road rule on this forum and the closest we get to that is rule 5 above. If there is a continuous line that actually goes around a corner and you want to deviate off (some roads do this where the main flow takes a left turn) you have to give way to traffic that is in fact turning right in front of you no matter how sharp the corner they are coming around is.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    XJR1200, Honda CB1/400
    Quote Originally Posted by moko
    France used to have a really crazy law that gave people turning out of a sideroad onto a main highway priority and the Frog Gestapo(well trained by their allies in the war)took great delight in booking irate Brits who thought they were in the right when some dork had launched an apparent suicide bid and got his 2CV or other shit-heap crunched in the process.I think they`ve changed their ways now so it`s only the personal hygiene and bravery thing they`ve got to work on.
    After driving extensively in France and having to put up with all those stinking, cowardly, incestuous, sheep- and goat-shagging, heap-of-shit driving, ship-bombing Frogs, when I got back to good old Godzone for a taste of real culture, why, I wonder, did I feel less safe and more nervous driving on
    our roads than I ever did on theirs???

And the same for Spain...
    And Italy...
    And Britain...
    And the U.S....
    Age is too high a price to pay for maturity

Bike
    'o6 Spewzooki Banned it.
    Cowardly French? Read the true accounts of WW2 up to Dunkirk and find out just who bailed on who. It was nothing for the British to be proud of.
    Lou

Bike
    2001 Yamaha FAZER 600S
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Girardin
    Cowardly French? Read the true accounts of WW2 up to Dunkirk and find out just who bailed on who. It was nothing for the British to be proud of.
    Lou
    I`m not a flag-waver Lou and there are far too many things for the British not to be too proud of,including what`s happening in Iraq now.And to defend the French there have been a few old guys on t.v. lately who in these days when they can finally speak their minds tell of the valiant efforts of the French in defending their country on D-Day.I have read the true accounts mate and basically I`d say that the British and the French ever being allies is a fallacy that was convienient for all concerned after the war.Did you know that when Britain went into Vietnam they actually locked up the French officials and the Japanese were policing the place for a while under Brit command!!Britain and America were just as concerned about the Communist French resistance as they seemed to be about the Germans and dumped on them accordingly,DeGaulle was basically the "least worse" option,him and the Churchill didnt like each other at all and both used the other for their own ends.War is never black and white and recorded history is too often the "required version" of events.

Bike
    'o6 Spewzooki Banned it.
    So true. And a large number of frenchmen hated the English more than the Germans. Europeans certainly know how to bear grudges, for centuries even.
    Lou

Bike
    Shanksters Pony
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Girardin
    Europeans certainly know how to bear grudges, for centuries even.
    Lou
    Just look at the Yugoslavs

Bike
    2008, GSR600K

Just yesterday...

...I was at that (terrible) intersection of Cuba St and Vivian St's. I was on Cuba St going across Vivian St. The whole intersection is controlled by STOP signs. A driver pulled up to the Vivian St stop on my right, so I was waiting for her to go but then she waved for me to go. I won't go in thoese situations so I just shook my head and waved her on. I'm not sure if she was being considerate (she was smiling) b/c I was on my bike or was just another person that doesn't know the RH rule.
    My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Sea_lily
    ...I was at that (terrible) intersection of Cuba St and Vivian St's. I was on Cuba St going across Vivian St. The whole intersection is controlled by STOP signs. A driver pulled up to the Vivian St stop on my right, so I was waiting for her to go but then she waved for me to go. I won't go in thoese situations so I just shook my head and waved her on. I'm not sure if she was being considerate (she was smiling) b/c I was on my bike or was just another person that doesn't know the RH rule.
    I thought that the rule at an intersection that is completely controlled by Stop signs (such as the dreaded Cuba/Abel Smith) and where nobody is turning was "first in, first served"?
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by Wenier
    Shit mate you should come to Blenheim.
    I like Blenheim.

It means I get to go over the Whangamoa and Rai Saddles and the Pelorus twisties and then I get to go back over them again going back home

Or even turn off at Pelorus on the way home and go through the Mungatapu...

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher
    I thought that the rule at an intersection that is completely controlled by Stop signs (such as the dreaded Cuba/Abel Smith) and where nobody is turning was "first in, first served"?
    Nope, right hand rule...

Bike
    Honda PC800
    simple rule i use--give way to everything thats bigger n me -which is most everything on the road
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Thread Information