Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another noob! (Danboy)

Bike
    Bus/Waiwai express/Train GN250 RIP

Smile Don't bother buying a 250

Hi, go sit your basic handling certificate on the testers bikes. They normally have 2 or 3 available and providing you tell them you need one before you go they'll sort it for you (normally free). It's a 6 month wait and then you can go for your restricted. From there, because you're over 25 it's a three month wait if you do an advanced course and then you can sit your full. So, that's 9 months from the day you get your learners until the day you get your full. If you want to save money, just buy the bike you really want to ride. Just my thoughts.

Bike
    VTR1000, RM 250 and a few toys
    Welcome

I sort of agree with Neats here I rekon if i didnt have to wait 2 years I would have done the same thinking back now.
    You know you had a good nite when you have to ask someone if you had a good nite.

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    There is a reason (and a good one) why that 250cc restriction exists. OK, if you have years of dirt bike experience,and a full cage licence for a few years, maybe you could safely skip it. Otherwise, play it by the rules . We need live bikers. (I didn't used to think this way, in case someone dredges up one of my old posts. I changed my mind recently after seeing an inexperienced rider trying to cope with a 1000cc machine).

Riding a big bike looks cool, and easy. Yeah, I know all the truisms - "you don't have to twist the twistgrip"; "you can ride a big bike slow". Reality is, a big bike can get you into a seriously pear shaped situation a heck of a lot quicker than a smaller one. And it's only the experience and miles that make you respond (hopefully) correctly in the split second you have to get it right.

There's a good few can tell you "I never wasted time on a 250, went straight to a Hayabusa, and I'm OK". Trouble is, the ones who DIDN'T make out OK doing that, aren't posting. Cos they're either dead or not riding anymore.

If you want to ride because you really understand what biking's about, then you'll know that you can get just as much fun riding a smaller machine. And if the reason you want to ride is TO GO BLOODY FAST, MAN, then you *definately* need to start with a 250.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    dirty ns2fiddyr
    That brings up a point, the road definitly isn't offroad, and the two disciplines while meeting in some points, are different disciplines.
    I ignored that and loaned a mate with LOADS of dirtbike experience my ZZR.
    No road experience, wet weather, his wife on the back (need I add no license?) Taking a simple righthander, damp road, and a gust of wind catchs him, bike into ditch, wife into tree, bung hip, and what was a relatively nice ZZR with only a little fairing damage, becomes ZZR 250 monster, after about 40 hours of straightening, patching, bogging and spraypainting.
    If you haven't ridden on the road, then a 250 ain't such a bad thing, and damn near all of them go fast enough to beat cars off the lights, and lose you your license, so no pressure to buy a thousand CC monster.

They are way scary, even when you have ridden on the road for a while on smaller bikes. Risks are tank slappers, flipping the bike, high siding (doesn't happen so much on smaller bikes) and on and on. Best to follow the law on this one.
    Boyd hh er Suzuki are my heroes!
    The best deals, all the time!

Bike
    Nothing at the moment :,(
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion
    "Riding a big bike looks cool, and easy."

"And if the reason you want to ride is TO GO BLOODY FAST, MAN, then you *definately* need to start with a 250."
    Aaah no. I'm not worried about looking uncool on a 250, nor is my reason to go "bloody" fast. I've ridden both small and larger bikes in my early years(please read my orginal post) and have found that I'm all squashed up and feel like I'm riding a match-stick when I'm on a small bike. Not because I need POWER.
    That's my reasoning behind wanting the licence earlier, so I'm not stuck with a bike I have to change again in x amount of months. I'm 31, not 21. I have SOME maturity. (some) haha lol.
    But thanks.

D.

Bike

Smile Power

Hi, in my opinion there's not a lot of differance between someone who's learning at 31 or at 21. A mature person who rides a bike is someone who rides within their limits.Dirt vs Road. Skills like changing gears, balance, throttle control are definately transferable to road riding. So's the confidance of knowing your way around a bike and being able to control it. But, that can be a double edged sword. The licenesing systems is supposed to reflect the learning process whereby you ride in differant conditions, encounter hazards and react.

Bike

No amount of trail riding or life experiance will give you that. The 9 months for your license get a bigger bike advice0 is more for the guys that are in their thirties that ride the big machines and just haven't got around to licensing up.

Regarding being a bigger rider. There are a few 250's that will redline around 17 to 19k. That's enough power to tow an elephant and lose your license all at once!

Can recommend a few but prefer if you ask the boys. They'll give you all the specs plus more. PM me if you don't have any luck.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Hi Danboy, nice haircut mate but those eye brows need some work.....

Bike
    2001 Yamaha Virago 250
    Hi Danboy - welcome to KB and I hope you enjoy getting out and riding again!!!
    Small and dangerous with a sting in my tail!!

Bike
    Aprilia Tuono
    Hey Dan

Welcome to KBs
    I hit the big 40 this year and have just started riding again after having done some motorcross and trial bike riding as a sprog in the Tarawera and Uruwera Forests - (I'm an ex Bay Boy!)

Living and riding in Auckland has been a huge re-learning for me...heaps more traffic thereby increasing my chance of being a human pinball. However Im loving the feeling of being on a bike again...even if it is a 250!

All the best with the choice of new bike and be safe.

Bike
    No bike It solded
    Hey Dan.
    I`m just back into riding at 37 after being off bikes for around 12-13 yrs, bought myself a cbr600( i already have a full licence) And am really starting to enjoy it again, the 600 is lighter than i thought it would be is quick and nimble and with out going fast i can have fun on it.......
    I`m nearly 6` and 90 kgs and it`s not uncomfortable.
    Mind you the Hyosung brand new is probably the best bike to buy, seeing as its the same frame as the GT650 you could always transplant a 650 into it at a later stage.
    Anyways welcome to KB and ride safe.

Bike
    2005 Gas Gas EC250
    Hello.
    Welcome aboard to Kiwibiker,
    Hope you enjoy the stay and please don't feed the animals (White Trash,Mikey,Winja)
    WM
    Wellyman

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by maha man
    Hi Danboy, nice haircut mate but those eye brows need some work.....
    Yeah....bloody chernobyl really killed my boyish good looks! lol

Bike
    Thanks for all the welcomes to the site too. Enjoyin it emmensly already. Cheers.

D.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by neats
    Regarding being a bigger rider. There are a few 250's that will redline around 17 to 19k. That's enough power to tow an elephant and lose your license all at once!
    Only problem with a higher revving 4 cylinder bike is that the low down torque isn't really suited to a heavier person. Might have a ton of power up at 17,000, but it doesn't kick in till about 11,000. A V-Twin usually gives better low down grunt to haul my fat ass away from the lights. lol. When it comes to engines, I know about them....it's more the fitting of the bike to a bigger person so I'm not uncomfortable riding it. Have ridden before, but just not on 250cc bikes which tend to be smaller framed. So was mainly wanting opinions on bikes that would suit.
    Cheers,

D.

Thread Information