Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie to modern bikes (cruxis)

Bike
    1998 VFR800Fi

Newbie to modern bikes (cruxis)

Hi, all. First time ever see this site . So ill introduce myself by giving my biking story and maybe get some advice off yalls cause I am looking at getting back into bigger bikes this year after a wee hiatus in the 250cc land.

I got my learners license back in 1992 (aged 18), and promptly went out and brought myself a 1984 VT 250, from pacfic motorcyles on manchester street (now acorn models). I constantly rode this bike everywhere with my mates who had a CBX 250, and Z 250. Being young bikers we went around the port hills alot with countless trips out to akaroa. We were always looking with envy at bigger bikes that sometimes zipped past us and we were the snotty nose teenagers drooling over your bikes at akaroa. After doing a few riding courses and learning from a few slow speed crashes I quickly graduated to my full license. But still kepted the VT while I saved up for a big bike.

1995 after 3 yrs hooning about on the old VT I had saved up enough to get myself a 1986 VFR700 Interceptor, Phooooaaarrrr it was grunty thing especially going from the VT to this thing. My mates still had there little 250s so now I was the man..

After about 6 months on this thing I promptly ran it up the ass end of a school kid on his bicycle on marshlands road. The kid just decided to move out from the left into the middle of the road becuase he was going to turn right but didnt look over his shoulder. I had just come out of the QEII roundabout and was only doing about 40kph (it was a 100kph zone at the time now 80). Thankfully he wasnt hurt and all I had was a little bit of road rash. But my head hit the ground though, So my helmet got scratched up and needed replacing. But the bike didnt get off so lucky a hole was ground through side engine cover, and foot pegs broken, handlebar bent, and side fairing all cracked and ground down. Damn I was shocked all this damage from a wee 40kph slide down the road.

After the boys parents insurace paid to get the bike fixed up. I rode it for a couple more months keeping an eye out for another bike. I decided to go for a little dirt bike fun. So I rode the VFR700 down to Ashburton and traded it in on a Road Legal XR600, thumpity, thumper, Weee this thing was fun and I promptly proceded to practice wheelies out at the Waimak. After flipping the bugger a few times I soon got the jist of it. Plus my leg got stronger just kick starting the damn thing . Plus I still had the trusty err rusty VT250 to get to work on and round town communting.

After letting my brother ride the XR, He decided to test its submarine capabilites out at the Waimak Mouth, By getting hit by a wave riding in the waters edge along the beach. Suffice to say the big stroke of a 600cc single can suck alot water into the engine whens it completly Submerged!!!

With the oil suddenly turned a milky white. the engine/carbs needed to be stripped down and dried out and put back together. After that I swapped the XR for a nice Wee Lounge Suite and went back to the trusty VT250.

1996 rolled along and the "Dark Ages" of my motorcycling career entered. I sold the trusty VT250 I brought myself a 1987 pre exup FZR1000. My mates also got themselves a GSXR750 and a FZR750 and we began to hoon about around the South Island. Which leads onto my first run in with the police so the speeding tickets and dermit points began to flow. Yep you Guessed it, I racked up over 100 demerit points and promptly lost my license in no time at all.

But did that stop me??? No casue I was a smart ass twenty something know it all hoon and continued to ride disquailfied. Yep I got caught. Another 6 months disquailfied and a grand n fines. So I went on my best behaviour and served my sentence without speeding/ er gettin caught and took it to the track. Started going to street meets out at ruapuna drags. I won a meet too. Mr Consistant, I used a 11 sec 1/4 mile as my dial in time and never busted out. Not many bikes entered though and giving most cars 5-6 seconds head start and still beating them is fun. But going up next to 10-12 sec car is a bit of a hairy though. Damn things sometimes have trouble staying in there lane. Bit of a rush havin a car next to you a few meters away traveling at 190kph+, with the driver struggling to maintain control.

If anyone here was at the drag street meet at ruapuna Aug 1998 I think, I was the guy on a Pearl/Metal Blue FZR.You know the one who flipped and crashed taking off at the start line. In front of 200+ people.

At this time my skills at thrashing the fizzer about was getting good. Which then lead to gearbox failure, Worn 2nd gear dogs, The 87 FZR gearboxs are preety week they only had 5 dogs and prone to rounding. You know when it skips out of gear under full throttle 1000$ bill.

Next came the little end bearings wearing causing the pistons to slap loudly. Another 1000$ getting reconditioned. Next came bearings the front Sprocket sits on, Dunno whats it called, but it blew sent a ball bearings flying through the motor rooting it. 1600$ replacement. Ah the money it swallowed those were the days.

So after a few years on a Fizzer along came 2000 "Dark ages" ended and marriage began. So I had to commit sacrilege and sell off the fizzer. Woe is me...... But wait....all is not lost I needed something to get around on while the missus took the car. I brought myself.......a................... VT250.

Which leads me into 2006 with 14 yrs of biking behind me and I am still riding about on that VT250. So with money in the bank things going well I am in the market for a bigger bike. So I have put the old VT on trademe. Its served me well.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...n-53978410.htm

I am looking at getting a 400cc bike to tide me over the winter then move on to either a zx9r zx10,VT1000,R1, VFR,etc. Just Something comfy but sporty.

But dont really know what these flash new bikes are like to ride these days. How do they compare to the old FZRs, GSXRs of the 80s? If there is even a comparsion. I know tires and suspension has come a long way. So I am looking forward to it.

Bike
    None any more
    Welcome to Kiwi Biker. You should fit right in.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    89 BMW R100GS, 71 R75/5, 72 R50/5,
    Welcome to KB Cruxis.good luck with the new bikes mate.

Bike
    Whatever is in the garage - FXDC, Bking
    Blog Entries
    Now thats a way to make an entrance! Nice write up, looking forward to more stories in the future.

www.Ridertraining.co.nz
    NZTA Approved CBTA Instructor Assessor
    - Restricted + Full Licence Training & Testing
    - Onroad Coaching & Training
    Auckland
    Call or Txt 0210334766
    info@ridertraining.co.nz

Bike
    Whatever is in the garage - FXDC, Bking
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cruxis
    So I have put the old VT on trademe. Its served me well.

I am looking at getting a 400cc bike to tide me over the winter then move on to either a zx9r zx10,VT1000,R1, VFR,etc. Just Something comfy but sporty.

But dont really know what these flash new bikes are like to ride these days. How do they compare to the old FZRs, GSXRs of the 80s? If there is even a comparsion. I know tires and suspension has come a long way. So I am looking forward to it.
    Are you sure selling 'the old faithful' will be a good move? Sounds like it payed itself of a hundred times over!

The big bikes of today have changed alot from the pre-90's bikes. Suspension, weight and most of all - POWER! The new Gixxers (hubby has one, I kick him off when I want to ride it ) are so impressive. Just a slight twist (not even a twist sometimes) of the throttle gets you into 'No Licence' zones very easily. (I could even describe it as 'the speedo needle moving as fast as the rev needle on the dash' ..............) Best thing to do is just go and take a test ride at your local dealership. But if you felt the Interceptor was a quick bike, then many good surprises lay just around the corner

www.Ridertraining.co.nz
    NZTA Approved CBTA Instructor Assessor
    - Restricted + Full Licence Training & Testing
    - Onroad Coaching & Training
    Auckland
    Call or Txt 0210334766
    info@ridertraining.co.nz

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Welcome to the nuthouse enjoy, and good read

Bike
    HONDA EXPRESS
    What an intro!
    welcome to the site

www.PhotoRecall.co.nz

Bike
    Triumph Thruxton / 81 Guzzi MKIII
    Welcome to KB. Good write up!
    Why stop at one bike, don't you need one for all occasions; the dirt, commuting & one to lose the licence with I mean for touring/Akaroa.
    I guess you'll be doing a but of test riding to see what you like.
    Good luck for the bike hunt.
    cheers
    SDU

Bike
    Cagiva Raptor 650, ZX-10R
    Cool story! Welcome, I'm sure you'll be entertained!

Look up the Meetings and Events category for rides... then get permission from the wife.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

Bike
    1998 VFR800Fi
    Thanks all Damn i just missed out on getting an old Fizzer today
    this one http://www.sellmefree.co.nz/site/onl...2/default.aspx

ah well, off to check out a VFR 400 and a RF900 tonight. Any hints what to look out for on these.

Bike
    2004 GT i-Drive 3.0
    Nice intro man, welcome to KB!.

Bike
    L1 GSXR 1000
    Welcome cruxis, nice first post.

Bike
    whatever i can borrow
    Welcome fella....
    Here's a nice comfy ride....shameless plug...
    Quote Originally Posted by cowpoos
    theres a few people I'ld like to thank...first of all juzzer...my master and one hot buggar...

Bike
    RF900
    Good read cruxis, welcome aboard

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Quote Originally Posted by cruxis
    ah well, off to check out a VFR 400 and a RF900 tonight. Any hints what to look out for on these.
    Welcome aboard man, theres a guy on Wairaikei rd selling a RF900 and a VTR1000... might suit ya.
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Thread Information