Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ny clues about setting up suspension on my Ducati?

Bike
    Thinking

Ny clues about setting up suspension on my Ducati?

Hi , just got it four weeks ago and hoped to get it into Hamilton M/c so Neil could set it up for me, but no chance for another week, So I wanted to try at least to get it better than it is before the Waikato ride on Saturday.
    The Bike is a 2000 year Ducati 750ss, it has a preload and a spring adjustment, no adfjustment on the front forks.
    I way around 87 kgs and am 6ft tall ( if that is needed )
    I think there is a measurement you need for compression on the spring once you sit on it ?? F&*K knows really, I just dont think its right at the moment.
    Also Im running 34 in the fron and 38 in the back tyres.
    I know I sound like a retard so you dont have to tell me , but I want to learn about this and would appreciate your comments

Thanks heaps Guys & gals
    Ive run out of fucks to give

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_...ttings/#ducati

Try the 900SS settings from this site - practically the same bike.

Here's the setup guide. I used this to get the TRX handling sweet.

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/suspension/

Remember to write down everything you do. Maybe even setup a spreadsheet and print out multiple copies so you can keep track of what you do.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Ducati 900 SS ie

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Quasievil
    Hi , just got it four weeks ago and hoped to get it into Hamilton M/c so Neil could set it up for me, but no chance for another week, So I wanted to try at least to get it better than it is before the Waikato ride on Saturday.
    The Bike is a 2000 year Ducati 750ss, it has a preload and a spring adjustment, no adfjustment on the front forks.
    I way around 87 kgs and am 6ft tall ( if that is needed )
    I think there is a measurement you need for compression on the spring once you sit on it ?? F&*K knows really, I just dont think its right at the moment.
    Also Im running 34 in the fron and 38 in the back tyres.
    I know I sound like a retard so you dont have to tell me , but I want to learn about this and would appreciate your comments

Thanks heaps Guys & gals
    I'd be inclined to try 32-34psi. What year is your bike? I rode a 2001 750ss and was amazed at how bloody harsh the suspension was. The 900's have adjustable suspension which makes them a hell of alot nicer.

Try a lighter fork oil as an easy/cheap fix.
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Bike
    Thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by White trash
    I'd be inclined to try 32-34psi. What year is your bike? I rode a 2001 750ss and was amazed at how bloody harsh the suspension was. The 900's have adjustable suspension which makes them a hell of alot nicer.

Hey thank you, its a 2000, i will try 32-34psi as you say. the big problem is I find the front stepping out on me, mostly on slower speed cornering, I find it un nerving. Its a bike I dont yet have confidence on, most jap bikes Ive had dont give me this trouble !!
    Hope its soughted soon though
    Thanks agasin

Bike
    97 CRM 250 AR
    Hey thank you, its a 2000, i will try 32-34psi as you say. the big problem is I find the front stepping out on me, mostly on slower speed cornering, I find it un nerving. Its a bike I dont yet have confidence on, most jap bikes Ive had dont give me this trouble !!
    Hope its soughted soon though
    Thanks agasin
    That's because Italian bikes (cars and general machinery as well for that matter) are like Italian women. High maintainence and tempermental. On the possitive side though they're generally damn sexy and a heap of fun when things are going right.

Bike
    03 Ducati M800Si.e. 04 Ducati M1000Si.e.
    I've got some papers here from Robert Taylor, the Ohlins importer in Hawera, about how to set up suspension. If you'd like a copy, pm me with your postal address. (I've only got it in hard copy). Robert gave us a hand a couple of seasons ago when a mate of mine was racing an MV F4, and gave us the info.

Being frustrated is disagreeable.

But the real disasters in life begin when you get what you want.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by White trash

I think has been a problem with Ducati forever,My 1982 Darmah was the same as was my brothers 1984 Pantah and when he bought a new 1992 750SS it was no better.

They don't tend to absorb the bumps as much as try and catapult you off the seat when you hit then,we solved it on the Darmah with different shocks and softer spring rate,from factory they all seemed to be oversprung and underdamped
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Thinking

Youre A Star

Quote Originally Posted by Lynda Blair
    I've got some papers here from Robert Taylor, the Ohlins importer in Hawera, about how to set up suspension. If you'd like a copy, pm me with your postal address. (I've only got it in hard copy). Robert gave us a hand a couple of seasons ago when a mate of mine was racing an MV F4, and gave us the info.
    Thanks for that offer, that would be great, my address is
    Bret Glazer
    28 Rossiter Place
    Hamilton
    I will get it all back to you asap,so send me a return address please.
    Thanks Again Linda

Bret

Bike
    RC36, WR, RS250, GSXR1000, Duke250, IZH
    I remember while waiting for a service a while back they had a ducati club fanzine with a suspension setup guide for ducatis. ring them and ask if you can grab some photocopies

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha
    I think has been a problem with Ducati forever,My 1982 Darmah was the same as was my brothers 1984 Pantah and when he bought a new 1992 750SS it was no better.

They don't tend to absorb the bumps as much as try and catapult you off the seat when you hit then,we solved it on the Darmah with different shocks and softer spring rate,from factory they all seemed to be oversprung and underdamped
    They didn't change it for the 93 888 either. I've having to look at new spring rates etc.
    www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz NZ's dedicated Adventure Riding Community
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Bike
    2004 GSXR600 / 1989 K75 BMW
    The plate isn't 44UGL by any chance ??
    Not even with yours!!!

Bike
    Thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by duckman
    The plate isn't 44UGL by any chance ??
    No its not that number plate ,why you ask ??

Bike
    Thinking

Just went

For a quick ride after pumping up the rear sring to maximium and it felt good, the front didnt step out at all on low speed cornering, I will get it in the end

Bike
    03 Ducati M800Si.e. 04 Ducati M1000Si.e.
    Thanks for that offer, that would be great, my address is
    Bret Glazer
    28 Rossiter Place
    Hamilton
    I will get it all back to you asap,so send me a return address please.
    Thanks Again Linda

Bret
    Hmmm.

I now have to find the papers. They're not where I thought they were, but they are here somewhere. I'll have a concerted look tonight. I'll send you your own copy, so you won't need to worry about sending them back. I'll be in touch!!

Being frustrated is disagreeable.

But the real disasters in life begin when you get what you want.

Thread Information