Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Jap cruisers

Bike
    Yamaha Virago VX1100
    Quote Originally Posted by XJ/FROSTY
    Which of all the jap cruisers do you rate as the best.
    Of all the cruisers ive ridden the virago 1100 rates my vote. -preferably with slightly loud pipes.
    While doing the old spit and polish on the Virago I was reading a panel on the frame.

Stationary Noise Test Information
    Tested 89.0 db at 2250 rpm
    Silencing System Yamaha

After reading this information seems I will not be able to cruiser anywhere within the Auckland region as it would break their 85 db limit.

Bike
    2004 Roadstar XV1600AS
    Quote Originally Posted by XJ/FROSTY
    Which of all the jap cruisers do you rate as the best.
    Me I've been lucky enough to ride a few -along with some outa here sports bikes.
    Of all the cruisers ive ridden the virago 1100 rates my vote. Twin disks on the front a v twin -preferably with slightly loud pipes and a comfortable riding position if ya wanna get spirited with ya riding.
    I have a 2004 Roadstar1600, great bike cruiser all day long with my lady on the back and pull like a Mac truck. Once you remeber to go a bit slower around the corners she cool . Ifound out the hard way ending up on the wrong side of the road, luck there was nothink coming the other way.
    A cool bike all round for me.

Winger

Bike
    00 FXR 150, 07 SV1000S
    Yeah I dredged up this post from the Archives.

I have 4 motorbikes, FXR 150, 2 CBX 750's and a Boulevard M50, I did have a 2005 GN 250 until I got rid of it yesterday after taking a ride up to Auckland from Wanganui with my Dad. I spent a couple of months taking Japanese cruisers out for test rides until a couple of weeks ago my Father and I by chance looked in AFC motorcycles in Palmerston North and I saw a 2005 Boulevard M50 or Marauder for you old hands, for $9000 2nd hand with ONLY1500km on the clock, I couldn't believe my luck as I had more or less convinced myself that this was the bike I wanted to buy all along since I started my search but was going to settle for something less because I didn't want to spend $13,000 plus the extra costs of hire purchasing one. I love the bike and am now looking at all the things I can do to customize it, As for statement made that Japanese cruisers are an intermediary step up to a Harley Davidson, I don't think so!! HD are archaic and will never in terms of engineering surpass Japanese cruisers unless they bring them up to the technologies of today, V Rod is the only one that matches Jappa bikes, and that's because it was built by Porsche.

This isn't a trash HD speech, but pushrod engines? dual coil suspension or hardtail instead of monococh suspension? belt drives instead of chains and sprockets? Don't say Buell

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Yeah I dredged up this post from the Archives.

HD are archaic and will never in terms of engineering surpass Japanese cruisers unless they bring them up to the technologies of today, V Rod is the only one that matches Jappa bikes, and that's because it was built by Porsche.

This isn't a trash HD speech, but pushrod engines? dual coil suspension or hardtail instead of monococh suspension? belt drives instead of chains and sprockets? Don't say Buell

Achaic? Depends what you want - you want fancy 'modern' engineering? then go for a Jap cruiser but be aware that Harley have 'soft-tail suspension' as well as dual shock - and Jap cruisers use a form of 'soft-tail suspension, they also use belt-drive- just like Harley (I know, some Jap cruiser also use shaft drive).
    Fuel injection? Harley has it too.

Time to brush up on what Harley DOES have eh?

Anyway it just depends what you want.

Me personally? I like a 'naked' air-cooled engine, not a water-cooled one with 'stick-on' fins and a big-arse radiator hanging out on front. (That's why I don't have ambitions to own a V-Rod).
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    What is it with the thing about overhead cam?

The only advantage of OHC is that it allows higher revs and hairier cam profiles.

But the whole point of a crusier is that they DON'T go for the high revs, maximum power per cc thing. Want more power? Add more cubic inches. Sorted.

A pushrod OHV can easily handle up to 6000 rpm. What crusier rider is going to want an engine that needs to be revved past that?

And pushrods have advantages. Just search this site for problems with cam chains, and tensioners.

Ditto aircooling. Where's the problem ? Multi cylinder engines are forced to water cooling, because they can't fit in enough fins on the middle cylinders. High output engines are forced to water cooling because high output engines are heat inefficient and need more cooling surface than can be fitted in with fins. But a crusier with a V twin engine (lotsa room for fins there) and low output, low heat waste, aircooling works fine. Why on earth would you want to add something that complicates things (a lot- water pumps, hoses, themostats), is unreliable (again, search the site for overheating problems, wont find many from air cooled engines), and is expensive, if you don't have to.

Rear suspension? (or front for that matter). All current motorcycle suspension (except maybe BMW and BiMota) is crap. One sort of crap is no better than another sort of crap, just different.

Juries out on belt drive, but I've sworn enough over the years at chains and sprockets , and gotten dirty often enough lubing them, that I'm sure not going to say that belts are not better than chains. What evidence is there that chains are better than belts (I worry about them breaking m'self, but people (not me) have also broken chains).

The best technology is the technology that works. And is the cheapest, simplest , easiest to maintain and most reliable. If the technology that meets that standard has been around for years, that just means maybe that people got it right years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crashe View Post
    Whats with the "L-plate rider" beside name....

I have a full license.

shit haven't we come a long way?

Bike
    Goldwing GL1800
    nice i like the M50 to, throw some saddle bags on and a screen if that tickles ya ............. i would also own a HD they are unique to the ears luv that rumble
    putt putt

Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    The best technology is the technology that works. And is the cheapest, simplest , easiest to maintain and most reliable. If the technology that meets that standard has been around for years, that just means maybe that people got it right years ago.
    Ah,Utopia.....what a pity these days people don't want the tried and proven,so they take the new and unproven.....and then complain about it.

The Porsche designed V Rod??? Don't let me bring the Porsche designed Lada into this!

But I will anyway - yesterday I fixed the twin washer pumps on the Lada,both siezed from lack of use.I removed the pumps (2 seconds) stripped them,freed the bearings,lubed and reassembled.You can never do this on a Japanese vehicle,and why would you? But the Lada is made to be repaired,not be thrown away....and the tools I used? One socket and one screwdriver.

Give me an old school Harley anyday - but they don't make the one I want....I really like the look of the Honda 750 cruiser,I could live with that one.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Belt drives may not be better than chains performance wise? I thought the reason was belts are quiter and less messy and smoother, all things crusier.
    One day when I get a crusier (tossing up next bike as crusier or sv650) i'll find out
    Then I could get a Kb Tshirt, move to Timaru and become a full time crossdressing faggot

Bike
    ducati 900ss Harley XLCR café racer
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Does anyone do chain conversions for the belt drivers?

yes ditched the belt on my bike 10 years ago

best thing I ever did

Bike
    ducati 900ss Harley XLCR café racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    HD are archaic and will never in terms of engineering surpass Japanese cruisers unless they bring them up to the technologies of today, V Rod is the only one that matches Jappa bikes, and that's because it was built by Porsche.

This isn't a trash HD speech, but pushrod engines?
    Push rod engines, the yamaha 1700 has these?? maybe imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

As regards Porshe designed engines, this goes back to the early 80's when the evo was introduced therefore apart from a couple of XR 750's porsche is behind every hd built for the last 20 odd years.

Archaic, why they do the business and up to recently HD had the land speed record, held not with a twin cam evo or a V rod but with a twin engine powered Shovelhead.

But you are right on one count: the V rod does match jap bikes and to quote Ozbike magazine "no self respecting harley rider would be seen dead on a it"

Bike
    2005,suzuki,marauder vz800
    i have a marauder and it's ok all tough i love the look and sound of a harley, maybe in the near future or a boulervard, who nooo's

Bike
    00 FXR 150, 07 SV1000S

Hi

You can never do this on a Japanese vehicle,and why would you?

Japanese BIKES rarely need maintaining and nowhere near as much as HD's I was with a bunch of Harleys today and there was an instance where we were sitting at a stand still for 5 minutes with our bikes all idling, not 1 of the HD's didnt stop running.

I really like the look of the Honda 750 cruiser,I could live with that one.

I think the new Honda shadows look like the biggest pieces of shit, the pre 2003 ones Honda VLX 600/750 look really nice.

Bike
    00 FXR 150, 07 SV1000S
    Push rod engines, the yamaha 1700 has these??

Yamaha has made a line of shitty cruisers too, theyre made for short arsed people and all those roadstars etc are ugly, just in my opinion

Bike
    Triumph Speedmaster 900

Best beast

I would have to say the best looking one was my custom XV1600 Roadstar which is listed on trademe for Holeshots, but best power has to be The New M109R which has more song than Led Zep, and more grunt than any other cruiser i have ridden including the following: VN2000, VL1500, C90, VT1500, VZ1600 Marauder, V-Rod, Road king 1550, Deuce. The only thing with more snot at the wheel is the Rocket3 which has to be my next bike......
    I am freindly really, I only bite when provoked

Thread Information