Thread: Where has all the oil gone, la la la la la

Bike
    '04 GS1200ss, '08 DRZ400SM

Where has all the oil gone, la la la la la

Puttering around town last week on the GB400 and thought the front felt a bit funny. On inspection, there is no dampening in the front shocks at all. There MAY be a few shortcomings in my thesis that "maintenance" means changing the engine oil every 4,000km and nothing else, but it would seem that there is no oil in either front shocks. Where has it all gone? There is no sign of any leak and the chrome is nice and spotless and boots in place (one has a split).

When I bought the GB back in '88, I thought the shocks would carry on until they spat oil everywhere so have not looked at them. How likely is it that they will leak when they are refilled (after flushing)?
    I have just found out that they have removed the word gullible from the dictionary

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    Are you sure there's none in them?? Could just be that the oil is way too old and has broken down so there's no damping now.
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Seriously? After 18 years? Well, each operation of the fork causes a tiny amount of oil to be spread over the fork staunchion. Too small to see, but that's why the staunchions are nice and shiny. A constant oil film. Take "too tiny to see" and multiply by 18 years.

May also be , as suggested,that tiny amounts of dust and abraded material have after all these years turned any remaining oil into sludge.

I'm pretty sure you are supposed to change the oil every so often.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Obviously the GB is no good to use any more. I'll buy it of you for a $1.

Thread Information