Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Honda Hornet handlebar upgrade

Bike
    Street Triple R

Honda Hornet handlebar upgrade

I want to move my hands up and back slightly (short arms) about 1 inch in each direction should do it. I might have to get a new front brake hose and if so thats fine, and there should be enough length in the wiring loom.

anyone got a recommendation (make and model number) for me?

I bought a set of Moose racing ATV Bend bars, but they are too wide. (they will be for sale too.... will put up a thread)

cheers
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Apriliaaah!
    Real men dont admit they brought the wrong bars, they just get out the hacksaw . . .
    I told him,
    "Son, what is it with you? Is it ignorance or apathy?"

He said,
    "Coach, I don't know and I don't care."

Bike
    99 RSV Matte Mille, Bus 150 & 121
    Hack away HDC. Just cut them short.

I have done the upgrade (or had it done). One thing you have to careful of is making sure that flat end of the bar is long enough to accomodate grips and brake mounts. I didnt make sure of this and consequently the brakes are mounted on the bend and them poke up a bit. Its not too bad but a pain. Will be changing my bars again soon as a result.

Make sure theres bar-ends that fit (ie not Pizazz bars) and youll have to drill holes for the mounting pins in the grips. Some knock the pins off, but I understand that this is a bad idea.

Luck...and let us know how you get on.
    "If life gives you a shit sandwich..." someone please complete this expression

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by WRT
    Real men dont admit they brought the wrong bars, they just get out the hacksaw . . .

I am quite happy to have a hack at them, but the bends are further apart so the wiring doesnt work.

so its better if I on sell the wrong bars and start again. I sat on a Ducati Monster which had bars on it which were perfect, but the bike was sold.

Bike
    Hornet 900
    I am also looking at replacing the bars, but I want to go a little wider, as I find the stock ones are too narrow for my natural riding position.

Renthal bars have been recommended on other forums so I am checking into these at the moment.

Here are the dimensions of their 7/8" road bars:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Renthals.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	30761  

Bike
    Will you need to change the clamps on your top-yoke KD?
    Also check out if you can remove the MX cross-brace too.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    on the Moose ones the clamp just unscrewed.

Those generic high ones look like me. I will measure the width of the stockers tonight, see what sort of a deal I can get.

Bike
    Hornet 900
    Quote Originally Posted by skelstar
    Will you need to change the clamps on your top-yoke KD?
    Also check out if you can remove the MX cross-brace too.
    Pretty sure these fit the stock clamps.

And yep, would not want the brace on unless it was absolutely necessary.

Bike
    A red one
    HDC- if the Monster felt right the bars are available for $92.00 or check the Ventura stand - I bought a set that had just the right sweepback ?? and height etc for me and I think we have pretty much the same arms - just different bikes!!

Bike
    XR1200x, Triumph Speed Four
    I have used junior motocross bars on my Speed Four, not exactly what I want but they work. The problem with moto bars is that they are generally too wide accross the crown which means that in order to accommodate grips, switchblocks, brakes, clutch etc they end up being very wide (close to 800mm) Mine have ended up the same width as a new Speed Triple but have more rise than I would like (close to 80mm) and I would like to have them a fraction narrower but cutting is not an option as everything only just fits as it is.
    Might be interested in a swap if someone has a more suitable set.
    "Twilight's like soccer. They run around for two hours, nobody scores, and a billion fans insist you just don't understand"

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Superior Motorcycles in Chch are getting me a set of the Renthal "generic high" road bars. they are about 40mm higher than stock, and 30mm wider each side. Good buggers too, they are happy to swap the bars that dont fit, and cash or credit the difference.

I think I will take the pins off the switchblocks. the only one that could be an issue is the throttle one, but if necessary a thin piece of rubber round the clamp should hold it. Its not like theres four separate cables dragging on the throttle (like the first CB750 say.)

they also have a KTM Super Duke race bike in there... Yeah baby!

should be able to get this sorted next week. will post a pic.

Bike
    Dont know if youve already checked but have a look at www.project919.com and www.hondahornet.co.uk forums. I think theres a thread or two called 'Renthal Bars' or something. Preparation and all that .

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    I was thinking of changing the bars on my bike. I'd got as far as discussing it with the local dealer. T.A.G. and ProTaper (?) seem to offer suitable alternatives.

People who knock the little tits off can find that the controls then turn on the bar. It's probably better to drill holes of the appropriate size.

Let's know how you got on..
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    NC700X XR250 MTS1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kendog
    I am also looking at replacing the bars, but I want to go a little wider, as I find the stock ones are too narrow for my natural riding position.

Renthal bars have been recommended on other forums so I am checking into these at the moment.

Here are the dimensions of their 7/8" road bars:
    Any idea who stocks them in NZ? if not maybe we can order it from Aussy/US?
    newbie since August 2004....
    VTR250 (retired) / SV650S (Fw:Keystone19) / GSXR750(given up) / CB400(traded for 919) / CB900 Hornet / CBR954 (traded) / CBR1100XX (sold) / TuonoR (sold) / CB900 Hornet / NC700X / MTS1200 / XR250

Bike
    Various
    Um why?

I guess it is personal preference, but, I find the more bent I am the better for long rides.

I find there is more weight on my butt with being more upright and I tend to get lazy and more weight goes on my wrists as a result. Also when you really get a jolt if you are vertical your spine gets a jar in compression, but if you are bent it gets absorbed by simply folding a little more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank
    You say "no one wants to fuck with some large bloke on a really angry sounding bike" but the truth of the matter is that you are a balding middle-aged ice-cream seller from Edgecume who wears a hello kitty t-shirt (in your profile pic) and your angry sounding bike is a fucken hyoshit - not some big assed harley with a human skull on the front.

Thread Information