Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Ride Right Ride Safe?

Bike
    2010 vfr 1200f
    is this classed as defensive rider training is it recognised by ltnz therefore allowing you 3months of your restricted .sorry for beeing a pain but where can i do defensive rider training that will let me do above and get full licence early.

Bike
    2006 BMW F800ST
    Hi Insane1,

The BRONZ Ride Right Ride Safe course is not recognised by the Licencing body in New Zealand - it's purpose is not to 'tick some boxes' so you can get your full licence earlier. The RRRS course exists to actually make you a better and safer rider on the road (unlike the defensive driving course) because this course stands a good chance af helping you live longer you won't get any benefit to your licence status.

In a nutshell it's bikers with shitloads of experience offering it at a damn good price to us noobies before cripple ourselves.

I'm going on 20th August.

For details on local defensive driving courses look up LTNZ's website or ask at a VTNZ testing centre - they should be able to point you in the right direction.
    In space, no one can smell your fart.

Bike
    nein
    I'd look at going this Sunday, but only been riding since thursday night so it's a bit much getting to whenuapai...

Maybe the next one..

Bike
    2001 Suzuki GSX1300R
    If you need some "wingmen", just let us know
    It's been a rough day. I got up this morning, put on a shirt and a button fell off.
    As I ran out the door, I picked up my briefcase, and the handle came off.
    Now I'm afraid to go to the bathroom.

Bike
    2006 BMW F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by toymachine View Post
    I'd look at going this Sunday, but only been riding since thursday night so it's a bit much getting to whenuapai...

Maybe the next one..
    I am a rank amateur but was able to attend the course today - got in contact with M1CRO and he made sure I got along to the venue safely - I thouroughly recommend the course now that I've been on it. I'll admit that I couldn't do half the things at first but managed to put some practice in on the way home and spent some time in a car park reinforcing what I learned.

Well worth it.
    In space, no one can smell your fart.

Bike
    Ducati 944

RRRS review

I did this course last weekend and really have to recommend it as one of the best investments and bargains that you may ever make.
    There were 7 of us on the course - me on the smallest bike, the RG150, a Suzuki GSX250, Honda CBR250, Hyon. cruiser 250, a cool 1950s Triumph and two geniune 'big' bikes - A 600 gixxer and and 600 ZX6. Most of the 250 riders were 'rookie', so massive kudos on the 600 riders for coming on the course. I think they got a lot out from the course - you get out what you put in. With only 7 of us there were 4 instructors, so they were easily able to give specific advice to riders. Most of the riders were here on the forum, but I won't name them unless they want to make themselves known - let's just say they were a pretty cool bunch.

The aim was to make everyone a safer rider, and to raise skill levels, so an experienced rider can work on getting from 70% to 75% whilst rookies like me to go from 30% to 35% (Finn, chief instructor, thought I was initially using about 30% of the bikes true braking potential ... )

Instructors were Finn, Chris, Noel and chief demo-girl Christine on the 1300 gixxer (1300 - bloody 'ell. I think that's the top speed). Instructors were totally top quality - great riders sure you would expect, but for volunteer teachers they were awesome (I am a professional trainer and lecturer and these guys, Finn esp., were as very good).

Day a mix of in-class (hmmm, airforce fire engine shed) theory and discussion and then applied theory on the runway. Exercises were done individually and we swapped between instructors on each exercise so you got several points of view. First exercise - weave through a LOT of cones, turn, return, ride down long narrow plank of wood and then over 2 half logs. Man, as the first to go and on the smallest bike I was pretty nervous I would show myself up! Luckily thought 'calm', looked up & ahead and did it all OK without hitting any cones. Felt much better for the day when nearly every one else took a cone out (or 10!). Still, as a mountain biker low speed balance is my thing so under no illusion as to my general skill level - which turned out to be wise. Mornings exercises on turning etc. with good advise from instructs. - "OK, now try doing this ... try it faster ..." etc. etc. Gradually as I rode back from an exercise into the line-up I could already feel myself more in control of the bike.

For me the totally crucial thing was countersteering. Esp. the message that I should pretty much ALWAYS be countersteering. I had never experienced it and found it hard to believe to be honnest. Even the 600 riders I thought didn't put 100% faith in it all the time. Having a safe riding area to experiment was great - ride 50kph down runway in a straight line then pull the right handlebar to see what will happen. Well, thanks, I know what will happen - the bike will turn right! Well blow me it turned left! What a head trip. Seems that I've been leaning the bike more and more to compensate for actually turning the 'wrong' way! We did several exercises, but it was awesome watching the positively dimunitive Christine power this monster gixxer down through a weave course countersteering through and powering out. How cool was that?

Crazy scary exercise for CS around a danger was driving AT Christine who indicated at 12m (seems a lot? think again!) which way to avoid her. When you are driving at a person not a cone it makes a lot of difference believe me. I think we were all relieved we hadn't killed her by the end!

A week on from the course and I've 'got' countersteering (didn't really on the day) - long downhill off-camber series of s-bends I ride down daily I look forward to - bike feel 50kg lighter and 3x more reponsive. Just pushing the steering INTO the corners and the bike drops down and is through. It leans more than ever before I even lean at all! I guess it is the bike leaning naturally and not me forcing it over ...

Afernoon safe corners etc. and ended with some hardcore braking lessons. Not confident and only a month on the bike I took it easy pegging 40k as my demo speed. My advantage was as a cyclist I rely almost 100% on the front brake - only use the rear to skid steer. Some people have a hard time trusting the front so worked on that. My first brakes I stopped in 2 1/2 cones. After a few rounds and some advice I stopped in 1/2 a cone - so fast I amost fell off I was so shocked! Finn reckoned I had gone from about 30 to 45% of brakes potential. Eek. Something to work on.

Anyway, meet new riders, put faces to KB IDs, improve your riding all for a nominal price. Really recommend the course - have fun.
    Motorcycle songlist:
    Best blast soundtrack:Born to be wild (Steppenwolf)
    Best sunny ride: Runnin' down a dream (Tom Petty)
    Don't want to hear ...: Slip, slidin' away, Caught by the Fuzz or Bam Thwok!(Paul Simon/Supergrass/The Pixies)

Bike
    2001 Suzuki GSX1300R
    Nice write-up and thank you for the kind words to all involved.... sooo glad you enjoyed yourself....
    Look forward to riding with you in the future
    It's been a rough day. I got up this morning, put on a shirt and a button fell off.
    As I ran out the door, I picked up my briefcase, and the handle came off.
    Now I'm afraid to go to the bathroom.

Bike
    Various
    Bump...
    Last course for the year is 19th November, so anyone considering this, now is the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank
    You say "no one wants to fuck with some large bloke on a really angry sounding bike" but the truth of the matter is that you are a balding middle-aged ice-cream seller from Edgecume who wears a hello kitty t-shirt (in your profile pic) and your angry sounding bike is a fucken hyoshit - not some big assed harley with a human skull on the front.

Bike
    02 Ducati ST4s
    I believe The Otago Motorcycle Club or BRONZ Otago has started a similar thing here in Dunedin... they mentioned it at the last club meet...

Will try and get more info on this

Bike
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by NighthawkNZ View Post
    I believe The Otago Motorcycle Club or BRONZ Otago has started a similar thing here in Dunedin... they mentioned it at the last club meet...

Yes they have.
    We have been working with BRONZ Dunedin and OMC on this.
    I would like to say a big ups to ACC for their vision and financial assistance. Hopefully an ounce of prevention is worth a ton of cure.
    I do not know their schedule or how booked they are, but anyone interested in attending the Dunedin course could contact BRONZ Otago or the Otago Motorcycle Club.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank
    You say "no one wants to fuck with some large bloke on a really angry sounding bike" but the truth of the matter is that you are a balding middle-aged ice-cream seller from Edgecume who wears a hello kitty t-shirt (in your profile pic) and your angry sounding bike is a fucken hyoshit - not some big assed harley with a human skull on the front.

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX1100 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by CaN View Post
    Bump...
    Last course for the year is 19th November, so anyone considering this, now is the time.
    Cheers for the reminder CaN, going to working very hard to make sure im there!!

Always keen to improve my riding skills! I just hope its not too late after learning a few 'naughty habbits' on my bike!

Will be attending with an open mind and an egerness to learn!
    "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary - that's what gets you."
    Jeremy Clarkson.

Kawasaki 200mph Club

Bike
    nein
    Any chance of turning up with cash without a prior booking?

Bike
    Suzuki Smash 2016. (Yes, really!)
    Quote Originally Posted by NighthawkNZ View Post

I'm booked into one in Dunedin on Sunday 10th.
    "Statistics are used as a drunk uses lampposts - for support, not illumination."

Bike
    Suzuki Smash 2016. (Yes, really!)
    After attending the Dunedin one yesterday, I can only agree with 90s on what a great course it is. Like 90s, I didn't get everything at once but had it pretty well sorted by the time I got home.
    Kudos to the volunteers who gave up their Sunday to help other, less experienced riders to "up" their game!
    "Statistics are used as a drunk uses lampposts - for support, not illumination."

Bike
    2003 Yamaha R1
    Hi

is there a course for the 17 December 2006?

Thread Information