Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Ride Right Ride Safe?

Bike
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by fatnold View Post
    Hi

is there a course for the 17 December 2006?
    No sorry, none on the 17th of December. Next one in Auckland is on the 21st of Jan 07. There is none in Feb as this clashes withthe battle of the streets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank
    You say "no one wants to fuck with some large bloke on a really angry sounding bike" but the truth of the matter is that you are a balding middle-aged ice-cream seller from Edgecume who wears a hello kitty t-shirt (in your profile pic) and your angry sounding bike is a fucken hyoshit - not some big assed harley with a human skull on the front.

Bike
    Trumpton triple
    Quote Originally Posted by CaN View Post
    Next one in Auckland is on the 21st of Jan 07.
    I'll sign myself up for that one in the next day or two.

Anyone else keen?

Bike
    2003 Yamaha R1

Rrrs

sounds good-count me in

Bike
    Ducati 944
    So, I did the course once, now I've done it again. Previous review outlined the days activities and what I took as key takeouts, so this follow-up concentrates on what I got doing the course a second time.

First, why do the course a second time as several people did this time? New bike, pillion riding, passage of time etc. The course really reinforced what I learned last time, and also reminded me of more subtle things I had forgotten last time. In particular had just stepped up to the GSX600F and wanted to learn in a safe environment how to take a pillion (Mrs 90s, or the boss). Boss only pillioned before with me on a scooter on holiday and not sure what to expect, so this would be a great confidence builder with the chance to get some really good advice for us both.

OUtline of the day same as my last review, although this time we did the exercises two-up. Again learned what would have taken us months at least to probably figure out on the road. Boss enjoyed it greatly. Two big groups this time with about 20-something bikes. Quite a lot of large bikes and experienced riders (R1, Bandit, Fireblades etc) as well as learners. Great atmosphere - why are bikers so friendly and keen to learn more skills? Why can't cagers build up their skill levels in a relaxed way like this? (no answers pls ... more of a plea ... )

Again well organised and fantastic instructors. Just to rectify one mistake in my last review (if, as one lucky prizewinner did, you spotted the error) Christine rides the GSX1300 Hayabusa, "Peregrine" in Japanese (because it eats blackbirds ... ta-bum!) not a GSXR1300.

So thanks once again to all involved - certainly worth doing again!
    Motorcycle songlist:
    Best blast soundtrack:Born to be wild (Steppenwolf)
    Best sunny ride: Runnin' down a dream (Tom Petty)
    Don't want to hear ...: Slip, slidin' away, Caught by the Fuzz or Bam Thwok!(Paul Simon/Supergrass/The Pixies)

Bike
    2003 Yamaha R1

rrrs

Thoroughly enjoyed the course and the company. Content was provoking and useful. Topics included _ Theory covering physics of motorcyles and motorcycling, factors affecting riding and safety - some of it revision, other areas giving a better understanding of why we do what we do when riding.

Practical tuition with feedback on countersteering, obstacle avoidance, tight turning (without falling off) and emergency braking.

Thoroughly worth $50 and recommended to ALL motorcyclists, no matter how good you THINK you are.

Cheers to the Crew: Finn, Christine, Noel and Gareth.

Bike
    2010 DC Skate Shoes
    was a good day, enjoyed helping out. Pity about my intense sunburn though!
    KiwiBitcher
    where opinion holds more weight than fact.

It's better to not pass and know that you could have than to pass and find out that you can't. Wait for the straight.

Bike
    2015 Triumph Bonneville America LT
    Quote Originally Posted by CaN View Post
    Yes they have.
    We have been working with BRONZ Dunedin and OMC on this.
    I would like to say a big ups to ACC for their vision and financial assistance. Hopefully an ounce of prevention is worth a ton of cure.
    I do not know their schedule or how booked they are, but anyone interested in attending the Dunedin course could contact BRONZ Otago or the Otago Motorcycle Club.
    If they have something like this I would definetly be interested as I have been riding for years with no training/tuition or advise. Would be great to learn what I am doing wrong.

Will join BRONZ once I move back to Dunedin which I hope is in the not too distant future as my g/friend is getting toey with me living in Arrowtown
    I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Bike
    Trumpton triple
    Quote Originally Posted by R6_kid View Post
    was a good day, enjoyed helping out. Pity about my intense sunburn though!
    So that was you?

I got sunburned even though the only times I was outside with my helmet off were getting on and off the bike, and once or twice to hear better on the runway.

Tauranga training day

My wife and father in law did this last year through Tauranga Ulysses. They said it was beneficial especially 'cause it was pissing down with rain, and they got to practice hard braking etc in the wet. Father in law found it more helpful, as he's been riding for years, whereas wife learnt all those exercises at BRM trackdays.

Bike
    Trumpton triple
    Just a thought, but it might be worthwhile if a friendly mod shifted everything from post #34 onwards in this thread, to the thread below:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=42184

Bike
    2001 Suzuki GSX1300R
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajun View Post
    My wife and father in law did this last year through Tauranga Ulysses
    If I am guessing correctly, you should have seen your father-in-law's face when I did the emergency braking straight towards his Busa
    It's been a rough day. I got up this morning, put on a shirt and a button fell off.
    As I ran out the door, I picked up my briefcase, and the handle came off.
    Now I'm afraid to go to the bathroom.

Bike
    Honda CT125
    Blog Entries
    Such great reports, I'd happily shell out $50 to participate in one of these days. Is there one in Christchurch? I'd much prefer it if there was, long way down to Dunedin on my little 250!
    Soapbox house of cards and glass, so don't go tossing your stones around.
    You musta been.... high. You musta been...

Bike
    2001 Suzuki GSX1300R
    Quote Originally Posted by Deviant Esq View Post
    Is there one in Christchurch?
    The RRRS course only exists in Auckland and Dunedin at the current time. Would suggest that maybe you contact them in Dunedin and if there are enough people in ChCh, they might bring the course to you? Have a look at www.bronz.org.nz
    It's been a rough day. I got up this morning, put on a shirt and a button fell off.
    As I ran out the door, I picked up my briefcase, and the handle came off.
    Now I'm afraid to go to the bathroom.

Bike
    Honda CT125
    Blog Entries
    Excrement, thanks mate. Not sure about the website though, the link doesn't seem to work. Or maybe it's just not working because I'm way the hell over in England at the moment... Still, it seems a bit odd to me that Wellington and Christchurch don't have the course as well, there are heaps of bikers in both. If posters were put up at bike shops and maybe at the AA (driver licencing etc) there would probably be quite a good response. Still, when I get back to NZ I'll try to remember to contact them. That is, after I've got for a fang to Akaroa...
    Soapbox house of cards and glass, so don't go tossing your stones around.
    You musta been.... high. You musta been...

Bike
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by Deviant Esq View Post
    Still, it seems a bit odd to me that Wellington and Christchurch don't have the course as well, there are heaps of bikers in both.
    Not at all really. RRRS is run by volunteers on a non profit basis. It needs people in those areas (volunteer instructors) to get off of their butts to make it happen.

The bikers we met in Dunedin are bloody AWESOME people and got in behind RRRS in a big way. They got on to ACC and ACC were happy to assist with start up costs (with a few reasonable conditions attached). Auckland provided course material and training.

You too can make it happen if you like, all it needs is a few like minded people and a little dedication.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank
    You say "no one wants to fuck with some large bloke on a really angry sounding bike" but the truth of the matter is that you are a balding middle-aged ice-cream seller from Edgecume who wears a hello kitty t-shirt (in your profile pic) and your angry sounding bike is a fucken hyoshit - not some big assed harley with a human skull on the front.

Thread Information