Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WARNING-Hard plastic bits in leathers.

Bike
    2011 Suziki V strom 650
    Blog Entries
    I had a major impact with a tractor and my armour was of the plastic cup and foam inside variety. They definately saved my knees (the plastic of the cups was hit so hard the plastic was pushed along the surface), probably saved my shoulder too, but the impact there pushed the cup off the joint when it split under impact and it looked like my bicep had been ruptured. I've since been told that the plastic cups even with foam can actually cause a worse injury in an impact, and that the dense foam (I have the Hi protec rubber stuff instead) is best.

Wonder how this applies to back protectors...my dainese has a plastic cover...is this dangerous?? I highsided with it on and I had an outline of the edge of the shell on my back after....still better than not having had it on.
    Legalise anarchy

Bike
    GSXR750 K4
    mm.. best possible is probably hard exterior to take point impacts and prevent puncturing type wounds and soft interior to load spread. That said, it ain't gonna work if not fitted right... like has been noted before. Also, iahevn't really found anything that fits that bill too well. My cheap ol Nazran jacket has dual density foam in the elbows and shoulders but thats about as close as I've seen. I have much harder armour in my one piece but it fits very snugly
    Really, protective gear has GOT to be comfortable otherwise
    a) it probably isn't going to work right and
    b) you're probably not going to bother wearing it!

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Quote Originally Posted by bluninja
    I had a major impact with a tractor and my armour was of the plastic cup and foam inside variety. They definately saved my knees (the plastic of the cups was hit so hard the plastic was pushed along the surface), probably saved my shoulder too, but the impact there pushed the cup off the joint when it split under impact and it looked like my bicep had been ruptured. I've since been told that the plastic cups even with foam can actually cause a worse injury in an impact, and that the dense foam (I have the Hi protec rubber stuff instead) is best.

Wonder how this applies to back protectors...my dainese has a plastic cover...is this dangerous?? I highsided with it on and I had an outline of the edge of the shell on my back after....still better than not having had it on.
    When back protectors first came out -the armadillo type.I got the blurb from dianese--the idea is to spread the impact over your entire back so there is no single point of impact
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Thread Information