Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WARNING-Hard plastic bits in leathers.

Bike
    Honda PC800

WARNING-Hard plastic bits in leathers.

A conversation I had to day sent shivvers down my spine.
    Those hard plastic knee cap and elbow protectors are fantastic things when the leathers fit you properly.
    My worry is when you're wearing second hand or borrowed leathers.
    If the protectors sit either too high or too low by about 75mm (3 inches)the edges are now the point of contact with your body.Like a cheap plastic knife they can now cut pretty deep into you given a hard enough impact.In essence they have totally the opposite effect to what they are desighned to do
    If they sit above or below the knee cap Id suggest getting em removed or -moved so they sit propperly
    basicly make sure they fit right or they can do more harm than good
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    2008 DRZ400E & 1983 CB152T
    What leathers have hard plastic bits in them??

My spidi's have soft foam padding on the shoulders, elbows, knees and shins, but none of it would do any harm in an impact, even if it wasn't sitting correctly.

The only hard plastic on my leathers are the sliders, they could make a decent bruise or maybe even a break, but I highly doubt they could cut me.

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Ive seen a few suits with hard plastic cups -actually the kbc suit Ive got has some in em
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    KTM Duke. Last ridden.....?
    MIne has the plastic cups. I've tried it once in a crash, and they worked really well, but they are damn uncomfortable if improperly fitted. I like them, seem so much asfer than just foam.

Bike
    Honda PC800
    they must fit you propperly then ?

Bike
    RC36, WR, RS250, GSXR1000, Duke250, IZH
    only applies to some leathers, my plastic bits are in a pocket with leather on inside and out. but they fit anyway.

and 75mm is like 3 inches.

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Hey if it doesn't apply to you cool -but I'd feel like s@#@# if some newbee got hurt cos I forgot to mention something

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX-4
    My Dainese 2pc leathers have the hard plastic inserts. I was told the the main advantage of these is that if you hit the seal they help you go from a vertical motion (falling) to horizontal motion (sliding) as quickely as possible and therefore minimizing the impact at your point of contact with the road.
    - You better arrest me, I have a weapon of mass seduction -

Bike
    '87 CR500, '10 RM144
    Quote Originally Posted by xjxjxj
    Hey if it doesn't apply to you cool -but I'd feel like s@#@# if some newbee got hurt cos I forgot to mention something
    Fair call.This applies to all yer gear,poorly fitting helmets can do more harm than good in a crash,for example.'Make sure you use stuff that fits right' I think is the message here....
    My Teknics have hard armour in the shoulders,elbows and knees,they've been well tested and work really good,but then they fit properly too.

Bike
    Honda PC800
    yep you said in 2 words what took me 10 toi get out

Bike
    Triumph Daytona 650 in RED
    I've got the foam padding in my leathers, but I was told by someone that the hard plastic can cause different or more complex injuries because it transfers the force/energy of the collision. eg: You fall off & hit your elbow & the force is transferred up your arm, creating a multiple/compound fracture in your upper arm or even into your shoulder.

Foam padding is like helmets though - once you've had a major impact & the foam is compressed, it's future effectiveness is reduced & you should replace it.
    "Women & cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A. Heinlein

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will piss on your computer." Bruce Graham

Bike
    Honda PC800
    I think the idea behind the hard stuff is to disperse the impact over a greater area in order to reduce tthe effect-In theory a fall that could cause a broken bone will only cause bad bruising.

Bike
    '87 CR500, '10 RM144
    Yeah,that's it,just like yer helmet.Dunno where they get the idea it can transfer more impact,it still has the foam padding inside.....
    Drew for Prime Minister!

www.oldskoolperformance.com

www.prospeedmc.com for parts ex U.S.A ( He's a Kiwi! )

Bike
    Honda PC800
    dunno but hey every little bit helps aye?

Bike
    Triumph Daytona 650 in RED
    Quote Originally Posted by DEATH_INC.
    Dunno where they get the idea it can transfer more impact, it still has the foam padding inside.....
    The older Dianese leathers didn't.
    "Women & cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A. Heinlein

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will piss on your computer." Bruce Graham

Thread Information