Thread: zzr250

Bike
    Lookn

zzr250

Hi riders

Im about to do a oil change for a zzr250 but dont kno much bout bikes mechanically. iv got the supplementary service manual for zzr250s but it doesnt give enough info.. if anyone knows where or how i cud get a zzr250 full workshop manual please tel. iv got the oil and filter just keen to get it done

Any personal help on how to do it wud be good. Also need to change wheel bearings

Cheerz

Bike
    2011 Kawasaki ZX-14 "Monster"
    pm kickingzebra .. he's got a zzr250 painted like a zebra sitting in his garage
    There's nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others, is there? -Clerks

Bike
    dirty ns2fiddyr

Post Oil change ZZR 250

OK, no rocket science involved,

You need:
    Filter (which will come with a rubber ring, don't lose this!)

Oil motorcycle specific, car oil will stuff the clutching up, I have used Motul 4t SAE 10 w40 mineral oil, because it is cheap, and my bike burns oil anyway, if your engine is newer/lowish kms, maybe consider a semi synthetic oil

Copper or nylon washer (to fit the drain bolt 16 or 18mm aperture, can't remember exactly)

You need to remove the lower fairings ( a philips screwdriver will accomplish this, place them where they can't be damaged, and keep the screws together, be careful the clips that the screws slot into don't fall off the fairings)

Put the bike on its centre stand, ideally the engine should be warm, but not hot, so if you have ridden it an hour before or so, should be sweet.

Have something to catch the oil (something low and stable, with a wide opening, if you have a 2 litre ice cream container, it will just catch all the oil, something more than 2 litres would be better) underneath the two bolts pictured.

Undo the drain bolt (as in picture), try to keep pressure on the bolt as you undo it, until it is just plugging the hole, but the thread is not holding it. Then (ensuring your drip tray is in place) snatch the bolt away to safety. (don't drop it in the drip tray!!)

Once the oil flow from the drain has subsided a bit, undo the filter bolt (this is quite long) then lower the whole assembly out of the engine block. Heaps of oil will come with it, so be prepared.

Carefully note how it is together, the new one needs to go on just like this.

Dip your finger in the new oil, and run it around the rubber ring that came with the new filter. There is a chase machined into the filter cap, and the filter. The rubber ring goes in here, takes a minute to get it right, but it does fit.

Put the new filter on the bolt, in the exact same way the old one came off, then when the oil has stopped dripping out of the engine, put the filter back in. Tighten it until finger tight, then with a spanner or socket, tighten it about another quarter of a turn.

Take the drain bolt, and replace the old copper washer that is on it, with the new one (this is not absolutely crucial, but it is good practice, if you want to avoid oil spotting!)
    Do this up until finger tight, and if using a new washer, you will need a socket to flatten the washer, then half a turn after it is pretty flat. If you recycle the old one, finger tight, and then a quarter a turn or so. If it feels too loose, tighten it a bit more, but don't wind the hell out of it.

Filling up with oil, put in 1.9 litres, with filter change, or if you just drop the oil, 1.5 litres. If you aren't sure if you have put enough in, check the sight glass. It should be filled to half way, after the engine has run for a bit (to refill all the drained parts)

Don't overfill if you can avoid it. ( there is nothing wrong with using an old coke bottle, or whatever to measure the oil out, just clean and try and dry it first)

Have a look at the bolts the day after the job is done, or after you have taken the bike for a little trundle. If the bolts are slowly weeping oil, then tighten them a little more (1/8th of a turn).

Attached is a picture that shows what bolts are what.

Any more questions, PM me with your Phone number, and I will try and talk you through.

Good Luck!!
    Jonno
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zzr under noted.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	31372  
    Boyd hh er Suzuki are my heroes!
    The best deals, all the time!

Bike
    2011 Kawasaki ZX-14 "Monster"
    Wow kickingzebra.. that was detailed.. can i ask that when i do my oil change that you give me some pointers or something?

**along with that, for my bike, being a non-standardly sold bike, does it just take "a motorbike oil filter" or does it have to be a specific one?
    There's nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others, is there? -Clerks

Bike
    dirty ns2fiddyr
    They are almost always specific. the ZZR shares engines with the GPX, so the filters are interchangeable, the other brands that make your bike should be the same.
    Might be hard to get filters for it, but as the hyosung presence grows in the market, should make it easier.
    Boyd hh er Suzuki are my heroes!
    The best deals, all the time!

Bike
    Lookn
    dam thanx alot for all the help. That is great! Im gonna give it a go saturday so hopefully itl all go sweet.
    Il PM you if i need anymore info but i think this is suffice.
    Wud be good if i had a manual that was that in depth for everything on my bike

Cheers

Thread Information