Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: From super sports tourer to adventure

Bike
    2003 Yamaha XT225, 2010 Electric scooter
    Quote Originally Posted by far queue
    Adventure bikes are a compromise between dirt and road, you need to decide how much of each you are likely to ride on. The DR650 was/is the right mix for me.
    A well made point. Different Adventure bikes have different mixes of road/off-road capability. What is "the right bike" for one is, as always, not necessarily so for another. What is "poor off-road performance" to one person may be "better road handling" to another. Or it may be a definition of "poor" based on entirely different criteria - rocky terrain vs packed-earth forest trails.

Then you need to select the tyres that're going to suit your riding style.

Quote Originally Posted by far queue
    I won't keep up with a road bike, ridden well, on the road and I wont keep up with a dirt bike, ridden well, off road but I can do both reasonably well.
    No matter, you're still going to waste all the crap riders and all the cages...
    http://wolfmotorcycling.freehostia.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    We 'athiests' consider Wolf 'one of us' inasmuch as his approach to matters of philosophy mirrors our own. The fact that he chooses to live by tenets driven by a fantasy of the supernatural that he finds personally appealing and culturally relevant is neither here nor there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny side up View Post
    It is amazing what you can do with a big hammer and a lot of care.
    Thank Eris for the FSM!!

It was the same but different for me - coming back to Auckland after 10 years trapped on Waiheke Island I started to explore the roads I used to know,and found them sealed! The XLV750 was a great sealed backroad bike,and I had a lot of fun pushing it hard on the Kaiawa loop,Coro loop,SH16 and SH22,these had been mostly gravel roads in the '70's and early '80's.But I found the gravel roads again with more exploring,and the XLV750 was just too big to have fun on - after I got the XT400 for tougher duties,the XLV750 just sat until I felt guilty after a couple of months.Then I had to charge the battery,drain the carbs and use ether to start,maybe rego and WoF before I could go for a ride.Now I have gone even more off road biased with the DT230 - it has the same power/weight ratio as the XLV750,so there is no performance loss,in fact a big gain below 100kph....and over that? Well I would miss my licence far more than I do going fast a for a few kms.

Bike
    Great info thanks people

The more I think about going for an adventure bike, the more I think it's the right thing to do.

Just need to sell the 1100 (in a few weeks) and then the fun can start - selecting the right bike. It'll either be a:
    - KLR650
    - DR650
    - XT600

Shame that Yamaha won't be bringing in the XT660R (according to the one dealer I spoke to). That would be worth a serious look.

Bike
    A red one
    Multistrada - best of both worlds.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by ZZR
    Shame that Yamaha won't be bringing in the XT660R (according to the one dealer I spoke to). That would be worth a serious look.
    The Yamaha XTs are great bikes. Of course, it depends on what ratio of road and trail you want.

Whichever you choose, read all the ride reports you can (plenty on-line) and get the opinions of the testers. If they're halfway decent reports they should say what it is they didn't like about the bike and you can determine whether or not you're going to be trying what they were.

I saw an on-road, off-road continuum of bikes on-line and I would have shamelessly copied it and put it here but I can't find it again. It tells you whether the particular model is weighted for on or off road.

Adventure bikes are for those to whom the journey is more important than the destination. Sports Tourers are great for getting from A to B at speed, Adventure bikes are great for getting to B through scenic locations C to Z at a pace where you can actually see the scenery.

If you're going to be aiming for adventure, Horizons Unlimited has great resources, as does the Adventure Rider forum (where Oscar, Motu and others hang out when they're not here). Whether you're planning a day trip via the scenic route or a tour of New Zealand's finest scenery or a trip around the world, those sites will provide you with all the information you'd ever want and possibly some travelling companions (Horizon's Unlimited has the HUBB where you can chat with other enthusiasts and make new friends. Registration is free like here.)

All the best, mate. Ride The World!
    We 'athiests' consider Wolf 'one of us' inasmuch as his approach to matters of philosophy mirrors our own. The fact that he chooses to live by tenets driven by a fantasy of the supernatural that he finds personally appealing and culturally relevant is neither here nor there.
    Thank Eris for the FSM!!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by rasty
    Multistrada - best of both worlds.
    To expensive, to many cylinders, and I think to road orientated.

Cheers for the links and your thoughts Wolf

Bike
    A red one
    I must admit I had my tongue a wee bit in my cheek as I wrote it.

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu
    DT230 - it has the same power/weight ratio as the XLV750,so there is no performance loss,in fact a big gain below 100kph....and over that? Well I would miss my licence far more than I do going fast a for a few kms.,,,
    Of course, the BEST sort of roads are those where 100kph *IS* fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike

Finally found it

The continuum of bikes:

This post by csanson.

There is a continium from the XR650R , TTR600, DR650, KLR650, Transalp, BMW 650, KLE650, to the V Strom.
    I guess it's pretty obvious which end is which...

And I had some shame, so I at least credited him when I copied it.
    Thank Eris for the FSM!!

Bike
    Had a 2007 Suzuki C50T Boulevard
    [QUOTE=ZZR]To expensive, to many cylinders, and I think to road orientated.
    QUOTE]

You seem to be narrowing it down nicely to what you want, - a 650 single sounds the bizz! Would have recommended the new Aprillia Pegaso, but you seem to be leaning more offroad capable. The KLR has been around forever and has a fine rep among owners. Still quite a few to choose from, though!
    You don't get to be an old dog without learning a few tricks.
    Shorai Powersports batteries are very trick!

Bike
    2005 Gas Gas EC250
    Great info thanks people

The more I think about going for an adventure bike, the more I think it's the right thing to do.

Just need to sell the 1100 (in a few weeks) and then the fun can start - selecting the right bike. It'll either be a:
    - KLR650
    - DR650
    - XT600

I don't see an XR650/600 mentioned their. Obviously you are too afraid.
    WM
    Wellyman

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Wellyman
    WM
    The XR is at the off-road extreme of csanson's list, perhaps ZZR just wants a tad more on-road functionality. There are those who want, gods and goddesses forfend, a V-strom.
    Thank Eris for the FSM!!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Edbear
    You seem to be narrowing it down nicely to what you want, - a 650 single sounds the bizz! Would have recommended the new Aprillia Pegaso, but you seem to be leaning more offroad capable. The KLR has been around forever and has a fine rep among owners. Still quite a few to choose from, though!
    Yeah I reckon a big thumper is the way to go.

The Pegaso is an interesting machine and good looking but ultimately I'm not prepared to spend that much money.

I didn't really think that I was leaning to the more off road capable bike. Why I like the DR is that I can do all the servicing myself. It's also slightly cheaper too if I go new. The only drawback is the pathetic tank size and that's where the KLR is king, plus the water cooling, and better seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellyman
    WM
    Yes of course I am. Seriously though I think th XR is too dirt orientated for me.

Bike
    Seriously though I think th XR is too dirt orientated for me.
    Well, you are coming from a ZZR so you've got to phase yourself in gradual-like. It'll take at least a couple of bikes before you're at the point of getting pissed off at all these paved roads that keep criss-crossing your favourite routes...
    Thank Eris for the FSM!!

Bike
    I think th XR is too dirt orientated for me.
    And it's a joke to have to kickstart a big single in this day and age. What were honda thinking not fitting electric start to the XR650R?? And why have they never made an adventure version of this, with a bigger tank and more road biased??

Thread Information