Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: From super sports tourer to adventure

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    ...Of course, it depends on what ratio of road and trail you want....

Adventure bikes are for those to whom the journey is more important than the destination. Sports Tourers are great for getting from A to B at speed, Adventure bikes are great for getting to B through scenic locations C to Z at a pace where you can actually see the scenery...

All the best, mate. Ride The World!
    I agree with what Wolf said.
    I came from a 1991 CBR1000F to a 2000 BMW F650. At first it was great, then i missed the warp factor and although i could still carry the missus on back, it wasn't nearly as comfortable. And the vibration of the single compared to the four was quite a change too.
    BUT in the end the more i rode it in to the unknowen, the more i liked it, and manovering it was a dream.
    Then I finally swapped the F650 for the 1996 XLV600 Transalp about a year ago and have never looked back.
    The Transalps V-Twin smoothed out the vibration and there's enough fairing to protect me from the wind giveing better sealed road comfort and long distance touring joy (and the misus is happy now too). The 21inch front wheel (F650GS had a 19inch slightly wider tyre) gives a much better dirt, mud, shingle and lately snow ride.
    I've found the perfect bike for me . Now I don't miss the warp factor at all anymore, and almost every shingle road or track i see, i want to explore.

Bike
    RD350 KTM790R, 2 x BMW R80G/S, XT500
    A coupla observations:

1. I road an XR650R recently and whereas it wasn't hard to start, I was surprised at how crude it was, and I've always been a big Xr fan. Compared to the KTM I was on at the time it was barge like...

2. Damn near any dirt bike qualifies as an adventure bike these days. I've seen guys on all manner of bikes, from a chair-less Ural to KDX's with trailer plates on them.

3. In my experience, in NZ conditions middle sized trailies
    are best for adventure use. A DR/KLR650, KTM640 or similar will go anywhere.

4. On the otherhand, middle sized ADV bikes are usually disappointing. I had a F650GSD and hated it. Why have a DL650, when you can have the 1000?

5. The only exception to 4) is the Trans Alp. These things are great, do they still sell 'em?

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar
    2. Damn near any dirt bike qualifies as an adventure bike these days. I've seen guys on all manner of bikes, from a chair-less Ural to KDX's with trailer plates on them.
    I would disagree with this. To my way of thinking what you are describing isn't adventure riding, but rather dirt riding with the ability to use the road to get to the dirt.

I would consider adventure riding to be the ability to go anywhere, on any roads or trails for long distances, with only a little off road where neccessary.

There is a lot of country in New Zealand that isn't really suitable for sports tourers (although some of us use them anyway), but still isn't off road riding. Some examples would be: The Dunstan Trail, Hakataramea pass, Molesworth Station, etc.
    Most dirt bikes simply don't have the range or luggage carrying capability for many of these rides.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar
    ... 3. In my experience, in NZ conditions middle sized trailies
    are best for adventure use. A DR/KLR650, KTM640 or similar will go anywhere....
    However this part of your statement is right on the button. As I do quite a bit of two up riding I have opted for the DL1000. OK, it won't have the same off road capability as a DR or KTM, so doesn't qualify as a true dirt bike, but as an adventure bike, capable of covering long distances with a full load, I believe it will do the job nicely.
    Time to ride

Bike
    Triumph Thruxton / 81 Guzzi MKIII
    Quote Originally Posted by ZZR
    Yeah I reckon a big thumper is the way to go.
    Another one sees the light

Don't forget to check out the KTM range off enduro bikes too.
    The LC4640 is a great all rounder. There are a few with The Adventure here too.

Bike
    .......?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jantar
    I would consider adventure riding to be the ability to go anywhere, on any roads or trails for long distances, with only a little off road where neccessary.
    Normally you would be spot on with that observation but unfortunately you're probably wrong. On most organised adventure rides in NZ you need a decent amount of off-road capability or the sort of talent that allows you to ride almost anything on an adventure ride.
    That's why we at Kiwi Rider are putting together the Kaipara Coast 200 Adventure Ride on 22nd October. It will be suitable for just about anything on suitable adventure tyres and won't feature enduro style sections. Watch this space.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by serowdownunder
    Another one sees the light
    Yeah it took a while to see the light

Don't forget to check out the KTM range off enduro bikes too. The LC4640 is a great all rounder. There are a few with The Adventure here too.
    I had thought of the KTM's and even went into Superior M/Cs last week. I didn't get a chance to look around too much as it was 6:00pm (a big thumbs up for inviting me in even though they had closed for the day) and the guys there were busy extolling the virtures of the 950 adventure Must go back for a proper look around.

Just need to sell a perfectly good ZZR1100

Bike
    Triumph Thruxton / 81 Guzzi MKIII
    extolling the virtures of the 950 adventure Must go back for a proper look around.
    Go back soon & take it (they are open most off Sat's)for a spin, plse don't too long & take the temptation away before it gets too much & it ends up in our garage!

Your bike is real mint shouldn't be long before someone picks it up.

Bike
    Buell XB12R
    Yeah it took a while to see the light

I had thought of the KTM's and even went into Superior M/Cs last week. I didn't get a chance to look around too much as it was 6:00pm (a big thumbs up for inviting me in even though they had closed for the day) and the guys there were busy extolling the virtures of the 950 adventure Must go back for a proper look around.

Just need to sell a perfectly good ZZR1100
    perfectly good.... hmmm now i guess thats ONE way to describe it
    "Do not meddle in the affairs of Buells, for they are subtle and quick to wheelie!"
    --J RR1000 Tolkien

yank tank at Glenorchy 2006 rally

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Quote Originally Posted by chris
    Normally you would be spot on with that observation but unfortunately you're probably wrong. On most organised adventure rides in NZ you need a decent amount of off-road capability or the sort of talent that allows you to ride almost anything on an adventure ride...
    Unfortunately, I too have noticed this trend. Most organised adventure rides do appear to be tending more to straight trail riding rather than Adventure riding. I notice that the 2007 Yamaha South Island Safari is based in my local area, and they provide a truck to carry the rider's gear. That is definitely not true adventure riding.

So what type of riding is it now for long distance, all types types of road, some off road to get around obstacles, and carry your own gear?
    Time to ride

Bike
    RD350 KTM790R, 2 x BMW R80G/S, XT500
    Unfortunately, I too have noticed this trend. Most organised adventure rides do appear to be tending more to straight trail riding rather than Adventure riding. I notice that the 2007 Yamaha South Island Safari is based in my local area, and they provide a truck to carry the rider's gear. That is definitely not true adventure riding.

So what type of riding is it now for long distance, all types types of road, some off road to get around obstacles, and carry your own gear?
    We should prolly make the American distinction between "Dual Sport" and "Adventure Riding".

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro

I guess it's 'cos adventure riding as many of us see it doesn't really require much organisation, you just point the bike down some backroads, maybe after getting some ideas off a map.

If people want to pay money to do a trail ride with a few road sections good on them. I'd rather just put on the proper knobs & go do a trail ride. However a good course like the CCA, which can be done on a bike you rode there on, makes for a great days fun & a good social thing too. Hopefully the Kaipara Coast ride is the first of many imitators.

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    Go back soon & take it (they are open most off Sat's)for a spin, plse don't too long & take the temptation away before it gets too much & it ends up in our garage!
    As much as I would like too it's beyond what I'm prepared to spend on a bike this time round so not much point. It does look good though.

Your bike is real mint shouldn't be long before someone picks it up.
    Thanks, fingers crossed

Quote Originally Posted by clint640
    I guess it's 'cos adventure riding as many of us see it doesn't really require much organisation, you just point the bike down some backroads, maybe after getting some ideas off a map.
    Sounds like a good defnition to me. Simple too.

Bike
    2003 Yamaha XT225, 2010 Electric scooter
    As much as I would like too it's beyond what I'm prepared to spend on a bike this time round so not much point. It does look good though.
    Jeez, man. Don't let the fact you don't plan on buying one yet stop you from taking it for a spin so you can at least say you've ridden one.

I didn't let the fact that 18 grand is way out of my price range stop me from taking a BMW F650GS Dakar for a test ride.

It sold not long after so if I hadn't seized the day I'd have missed out on riding the only F650 GSD I've encountered with the low seat bench (I wouldn't be able to reach the ground at all from the standard seat.

If you like it, you'll have something to aim for in the future. If you don't, you've learned, you'll move on and find other bikes to try out and eventually find the one to lust after...
    http://wolfmotorcycling.freehostia.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    We 'athiests' consider Wolf 'one of us' inasmuch as his approach to matters of philosophy mirrors our own. The fact that he chooses to live by tenets driven by a fantasy of the supernatural that he finds personally appealing and culturally relevant is neither here nor there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny side up View Post
    It is amazing what you can do with a big hammer and a lot of care.
    Thank Eris for the FSM!!

Bike
    Yeah maybe, but if it's as good as they reckon then it's just going to confuse even more (if that's possible - I already feel like I'm going mad)

Bike
    Rattlecan blue
    Learn to live with the fact that you are going mad. Bite the bullet and buy something, anything. I'd recommend a DR650, good middle of spectrum adventure bike. In six months time you'll know if it's right and if it's not you'll know if you need to move to a more road or off road oriented bike.

Thread Information