Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: From super sports tourer to adventure

Bike
    R100GSPD
    At least 90 percent of adventure bikes are actually the sport tourers now.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    if I am riding 95+% of the time on the road, how does the narrower profile and say a 21” tyre of the adventure affect handling on the road vs a 17” tyre on a sport tourer?
    thinking about the difference in tyre choice for the road. I really prefer a great tyre that grips in the wet, doesn’t need to be ultra long lasting. How many choices are there for this adventure style?

sure I could buy a smaller adventure machine 650 upto a 1200.
    Have ridden a Yamaha XT660R and it was a blast, but too tall for long term use.
    You don't want the 21" front unless you're actually adventure riding. You can feel the difference in handling, and your tyre selection doesn't have a lot of strictly road tyres. 19/17 will be as far as you want to go, as the Road 5 for example comes in a 19", and the 21 is often quite skinny (90/90), further compromising road handling. When we're running knobblies, that isn't as much of a factor...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    You don't want the 21" front unless you're actually adventure riding. You can feel the difference in handling, and your tyre selection doesn't have a lot of strictly road tyres. 19/17 will be as far as you want to go, as the Road 5 for example comes in a 19", and the 21 is often quite skinny (90/90), further compromising road handling. When we're running knobblies, that isn't as much of a factor...
    Thanks Gremlin,
    You have probably hit the last nail in the coffin on this one, for me.

the 21” wheel and the price for the Electronic Suspension version really blew me away.
    looked at Australian prices and thought, yeah $ conversion and some extra work etc.

so looks like I will be keeping the old girl for a while yet.

the 21” wheels has had me at a loss.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Indian Scout
    My 390 Adventure only has 19" front and it's fine on gravel and bloody excellent on DRY seal. Still shocks me the lean angle and spped it will hold in a curve.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    I'm loving my '98 XF650 as well. Comfortable and set up for me and me alone. Great weather protection, light as hell and plenty of power for everything apart from drag racing. Which is no problem as I don't do drag like Luvaboy does

Bike
    YB125 RR
    I'm with Caseye 100%.
    I've been away for a while and in that time I got old. I've traditionally had a large capacity sport bike and a dirt bike in the shed. Now the sport bike thing doesn't do what it used to for me. Hurts my ass, knees and wrists. After much procrastination, I purchased a new AT adventure sport. It's as comfy as the lounge chair, handles well for a farm bike and still has cool shit like quickshifter etc. AND I can hoon on gravel. I did the Coro loop on saturday including a blast over the 309. What a hoot. Anyone that says you can't pedal a bike with a 21" front wheel needs to come out with me on this thing.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by 2smokes View Post
    Now the sport bike thing doesn't do what it used to for me. Hurts my ass, knees and wrists. After much procrastination, I purchased a new AT adventure sport. It's as comfy as the lounge chair, handles well for a farm bike and still has cool shit like quickshifter etc. AND I can hoon on gravel. I did the Coro loop on saturday including a blast over the 309. What a hoot. Anyone that says you can't pedal a bike with a 21" front wheel needs to come out with me on this thing.
    My job has become more office based and I am starting to notice the lack of physical exercise.
    The sportstourer although comfortable isn’t as enjoyable as it used to be, lack of use etc has not helped at all.
    Been looking at AT and similar bikes, but always shied away from the 21” wheels on the road.

will talk to the Honda dealer, I mean Caseye and get the low down.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    My job has become more office based and I am starting to notice the lack of physical exercise.
    The sportstourer although comfortable isn’t as enjoyable as it used to be, lack of use etc has not helped at all.
    Been looking at AT and similar bikes, but always shied away from the 21” wheels on the road.

will talk to the Honda dealer, I mean Caseye and get the low down.
    Ha!
    Come take it for a ride mate, you will be amazed.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Thread Information