Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1989 GPX 250 Question

Bike
    81 katana 650 fighter.
    Blog Entries
    it's not so much zorst smoke it's the crankcase smoke

and i don't see how an oil change will fix that...i'm suspecting rings or buggered pistion.....this could get expensive guys

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by markauckland
    it's not so much zorst smoke it's the crankcase smoke

and i don't see how an oil change will fix that...i'm suspecting rings or buggered pistion.....this could get expensive guys
    You said that it was coming from the breather and not the crankcase.

Have you read anything that has been said in this thread Mark?

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    You are panicing prematurely

Rings could be stuck, hence the suggestion of some UCL. But smoke from the crankcase (true smoke) , the smoke has to be coming from *burning* oil. The only place anything gets burned is the combustion chamber. And no matter how bad the ring or valve blowby the exhaust port is a HONKING lot bigger, so most of any smoke is going to go down that.

And if the rings are bad enough to blow smoke, the crankcase is going to pressurise, and that will blow oil out (unless they've got something like a labyrinth filter in there, which is possible but unlikely).

If you've only run it for a few seconds, there's nowhere near enough running time to tell. Engines almost always do strange shit after being tipped up side down and such like and sitting for months and years. Get it up to operating temperature, and then you can make some judgements.

And then first place to check is a compression test. That will tell you straight off if the rings or piston or valves are bad. What size plugs is it ? Are they 14mm and is there room to get a compression tester in?
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Honda NSR300 track hack
    Mark the Oil Must be changed!!

You dont know if there is a litre of water mixed in that oil!!!

Change the fluids start it up... go for a ride If something is broken, its arealdy broken so you cant break it any more !!!

Bike
    81 katana 650 fighter.
    Blog Entries
    got the other motor in now....changed the oil...

still smokes...

and as i was saying yer it comes out the breather....but the breather comes out of the crankcase.... this is why i called it a crankcase breather,

yer gunna warm it right up later tonight...

Bike
    2010 CB600, 2007 ZX14
    I'd like to take the time to let mark know that my gpx is still running like a dream. So even though your's is a 250r .... I WIN!

hehe j/k, hope you get it sorted soon :P

Bike
    81 katana 650 fighter.
    Blog Entries
    ran it for 10 mins or so today once she warmed up revs increased to about 3 grand...i think the idle was set a tad high....and at about that point rather than smoke we now get oil splurting out of the breather when it's sitting at 3 grand ...or revving it ....

ahhh feck

Bike
    '90 GSXR250 in black
    hmm, have you done an oil change and checked it's got the correct amount of oil in it? btw i'm one better i've got the rr model
    http://thenc30project.blogspot.com/

Popping wheelies on sj50's since 2003
    Code:
    if (user.postcount > user.yearsriding*user.ccrating) {
    user = kiwibiker.postwhore}

Bike
    Honda PC800
    WTF--why diddnt you ring me??
    To start with the second motor had been laying on its side for a week at least so needs the breather pipe cleaned out.It should have had new oil and plugs.put in it before fire up.Now the old motor had been cooked for sure and it seems it blew chunks. Probably into the exhaust system and the airbox. The exhausts will clear but the airbox will need you to open it up and give it a clean out.Also you need to have cleaned out the tank and all the carb internals and put in fresh gas.
    You did completely bleed the cooling system ?
    The motor was supplied by Henry at TAKM so I'm really confident he wouldnt sell a dudd.
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    81 katana 650 fighter.
    Blog Entries
    hell load of oil coming out that breather.... and yes it's had new oil and plugs.

carbs have all been cleaned out etc.

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Oil out the breather is not good, but it's early days yet. Is it firing on both cylinders?

And have you done a compression check yet - even if it's only a "thumb over the plug hole" one?

Frosty says it WAS lying on its side, so the oil may just be what ran intot he breather system. If it's firing on both and not making bad nises run it for half an hour and see what changes. Is it smoking out the zorst?
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    81 katana 650 fighter.
    Blog Entries
    and fresh gas made no diff....runs quite happily on whats in the tank...drained most of it out and chucked some fresh in there..... i have looked inside the airbox ...seems ok...i can't get the filter to click into the grooves properly though....should still light up

Bike
    81 katana 650 fighter.
    Blog Entries
    smoking lightly out both zorsts....only running on the right cylinder

Bike
    None
    mark my homosexual friend, are you at home? ds and i will come over

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Mark DONT PANIC--ill put a big chunk of money down you havent cleaned the carbs out properly. To do it right you need compressed air and to take all the jets out.
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Thread Information