Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Exhaust packing

Bike
    fire breathin ginja ninja
    I didn't even think about repacking a can.. guess it makes sense, just never thought about it..

Spank, you ever done puke last year (forget when), and on the back straight coming down to the hairpin, ripped past a red CBR trying his best, while you hank on the anchors, and have flames out the back while downshifting? Just looked pretty cool..

Bike
    Assorted dinosaurs
    Blog Entries

muffler packing

I used to use pink batts but they blew out real quick so now use "goldielocks" kitchen scourers made from brass[?] curly shavings. These dont rust unlike steel wool & seem to stay put much longer

Bike
    1999 ZZR250
    HMMMMM repacking my exhaust...... soon after i got my ZZR, riding along the motorway i dropped a gear and sacked it, a whole bundle of embry/sparky fire shite came out of my carbon exhaust! got a lil stressed at the time but it still ran sweet so ignored it and carried on riding it ( could this have been the existing packing?)

-my ZZR is unusually loud for a 250 (sounds like a wanked up subaru on speed!!) and sometimes when im engine braking (coasting down the gorge ) i't backfires and shoots mean as flames (could that just mean i need a tune up?)

-should i be repacking my exhaust and can i pull apart/repack my carbon baffle myself or will i have to get it looked at by someone expensive?
    The world stands aside to let anyone pass who knows where he is going....

Bike
    KTM300EXC
    I use FMF re-packing wool. Very stringy and tough - heat retardant and because it is so stringy it is supposed to resist breaking down....I've got 2 years or more out of motox muffles with is. About $30 a bag - would get close to doing one big bike (ie 600cc +) muffler. Pink bats last about a week in my experience....

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Flyin. Yes repack it. All you need to do to an after market muffler is drill out the old rivets, pull the sleeve forward & throw in a bunch of packing & re rivet it back up again.

If the core is broken (maybe look down the end with a decent torch) then you can get it repaired. Cycleworks on eastern hutt road would do this no drama.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    1999 ZZR250
    Cheers Dave, i guess i should get onto it soon, it is kinda fun sounding big and mean tho and a whole lot more intimidating to cages that get in ma way while filtering......
    The world stands aside to let anyone pass who knows where he is going....

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    You're more likely to scare them into pulling over into you as I can tell you from racing it is sometimes hard to tell where the noise is coming from. Plus with the amount of politicians in wgtn we are likely to be legislated till we are electric silent.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Damn!

I feel like I'm missing out! Should I trade the Satantune in on summat that needs repacking?:spudwhat:
    Or should I just continue to enjoy its long-lasting, stainless steel goodness?
    Mind you, it does have the disadvantage of needing an allen screw undone when I'm in a shitty mood that StealthMode just doesn't do anything for.
    Soon to be addressed when my spare restrictor arrives, giving me a choice of three modes: Stealth, Sport (or is that 'Snort'?), and GetThePharkOutOfMyWayOrSomethingEvilWillHappenToYo u!)
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    in pergetory
    was gonna post sumthin about a loudness shuusher for motor sumthins when i spotted Wkid one's avatar and then i was all entranced by the movement and then nuthin else in life seemed to hold much meaning unless it made me look at the avatar.
    anyhhooo i know that some packing materials blow out quite easily cos we had some on a muffker we repacked (it was the stringy kind not the sheet wadding kind ) and when the bike was goin every now and then you could see some string being drawn out by the airflow but this was also a straight through kind of muffler so that probably didn't help.
    and now back to the avatar!
    i have yet to have the misfortune to shart in a public place

Bike
    Honda PC800
    I cottoned on to the idea of using stainless steel shavings --
    They seem to pack down well and once its in there ya never need to repack
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    '87 CR500, '10 RM144
    I've always just used fibreglass matt off-cuts from the local boat builder or ac fibreglass......seems to last ok.
    Drew for Prime Minister!

www.oldskoolperformance.com

www.prospeedmc.com for parts ex U.S.A ( He's a Kiwi! )

Bike
    ZXR250

Neomancer?

Quote Originally Posted by flyin
    -my ZZR is unusually loud for a 250 (sounds like a wanked up subaru on speed!!) and sometimes when im engine braking (coasting down the gorge ) i't backfires and shoots mean as flames (could that just mean i need a tune up?)
    Sound's like what's happened to mine, any flames through the Lyttleton Tunnel Neomancer?

Thread Information