Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Tankslappers explained

Bike
    2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    The only way to fix a tank slapper is to get the front wheel OFF the ground. Most people who say they saved a tank slapper, including top level racers, are bullshitting. It was luck.
    Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist 2,
    Page 52

'Tankslapper Damper

Picking your weight up off the seat if the bike wobbles violently or slides and catches also works to reduce the effect of your body mass being so high on the bike. This allows the bike to correct and stabilize itself much easier. The less of a "whipping back and forth" mass you become, the quicker the bike will stabilize'

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianW View Post
    Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist 2,
    Page 52

'Tankslapper Damper

Picking your weight up off the seat if the bike wobbles violently or slides and catches also works to reduce the effect of your body mass being so high on the bike. This allows the bike to correct and stabilize itself much easier. The less of a "whipping back and forth" mass you become, the quicker the bike will stabilize'
    +1 I found this with the Scorpio, I try to constantly put about 10-20% of my weight on my legs when riding, makers the bike so much easier to control, more stable etc. Its a light bike. My legs are so much better for it.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    The only way to fix a tank slapper is to get the front wheel OFF the ground. Most people who say they saved a tank slapper, including top level racers, are bullshitting. It was luck.
    Yeah mate .. when you're in a sweeper at 110klicks and the bars suddenly go full lock left to full lock right .. there's not much time to react .. you just know it's going to hurt ... and it did !!! (But I walked away ...)
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport

Fat Bastards make safer riders

Apologies if this has already been posted:

“PHEW.....JUST MADE IT............................. UP"

Bike
    BMW F 650GS
    Wow! .... that's crazy. I only got about 10 min in ... But how bike tech has changed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowDog View Post
    Apologies if this has already been posted:
    If only my tankslapper was a simple as this

Banditbandit, mine seemed to go on for ever, I actually thought I had it under control as it became much slower and more stable-so much relief - relaxed on the bars (not sure about the throttle, I was trying to keep it steady)

but it may have all started with a weight transfer on a corner with almost no traction-cold wet tar bleed.
    Over it now, I know what to look for on the road and what I think is what to do.

there is lots of video on google on tankslapping.

this thread reminds me that I should reread it again.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    I've owned and still have a couple of the bikes in the video.
    Only time I have experienced anything like in the video was riding from Split to Dubrovnik in 1989 on my freshly restored BMW R75/5. Two up with panniers and....a top box mounted behind the rear axle and it went into a severe wobble. I found the tyre pressures were too low.

I can't say that I have ever noticed it on the R90s or the Norton Commando.

My Racebike BMW R90 is good for 200+ over the hill at Hampton Downs and the only time it shook its head was the slight bump coming up the hill.
    I've since replaced the old steering damper and its barely noticeable now.
    It also runs ohlins on the rear and RT tweeked front end plus race tyres.
    At over 90KG's I think I know why
    Back in the day I didn't know anywhere near as much about suspension/tyres/riding methods as I do now.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    1981 yamaha XV1000

Slappers...

Quote Originally Posted by Falconer View Post
    Cruising back from the Brass Monkey south of Palmerston, noticed a glassy patch on the road, running straight and smooth at 90k, then all hell broke loose. The revs built up (wheel spin) and the BMW R80 took of sideways big time. Back of power to a violent tank slapper.Side to side for about 8 slaps and slowly came straight. Holly heck, if this is the joys of motor cycling you can stuff it. Totally unprevoked probible cause a patch of diesel,The weather was misty, damp, no rain, cold. My first big one. Riding for 50 years. Is it tme to sell my bike?
    Sounds like black-ice. Car or bike, just hang-on. I hit some on the desert-road a few weeks back, picking up my 'old-man-bike' (k75), just a little patch luckily. It still all went sideways, including trailer

Thread Information