Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tankslappers explained

Bike
    MVs & Ducatis
    Tankslapper...what's that. I grew up on great handling Kwakas like H1s, H2s, Z1s etc lol

Bike
    1976 Goldwing GL1000; 1989 Yamaha XT600
    Quote Originally Posted by jonbuoy View Post
    He he, never had a full on lock to lock slapper, a few shimmies and shakes but heres how NOT to handle one.... Crossed up wheelie landings can trigger em too.

http://www.bikepics.com/movies/000464/
    Cool movie, never had the problem myself, but then I think I ride somewhat tamer than I used too
    If you can't be good, be good at it

Bike
    1976 Goldwing GL1000; 1989 Yamaha XT600
    Quote Originally Posted by Mental-Trousers View Post
    Radical = steep angle on the steering axis and low trail

Imagine a line that goes down the centre of the steering head bearings. The more vertical that line is the more radical the steering geometry. Conversely, the less vertical it is the more conservative it is. Same with trail. Less is more radical.

the ZEN of steering, less is more
    If you can't be good, be good at it

Bike
    GSXR450
    Just another 2c worth

After racing for over 21 years now on the track and pure road courses, I have had a Shite load of the infamous tank slappers

I discoverd by fluke and practice the best way for me to deal with tank slappers

I have always applied the rear brake and kept the throttle pinned, this soughts them out very very quick! Now this goes against what most have said in here about moving your weight forward, because appling the rear brake takes the weight of the front wheel and transfers it to the rear?

My logic to my theory/Practice is this, if your bike is tank slapping and you move your weight forward, you are putting a heck of a lot more load on the front wheel which will make it bump stear more on the road service and you will have to ride it out untill the chassis can catch up and deal with it, but if you were to apply the rear brake and take some load of the front tyre, you now have the time to take control of the front wheel and stop the slapper from getting worse.

Always worked for me
    I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots! ALBERT EINSTEIN

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Cheers for the heads up Shaun. Piece of info that might save someones life one day.

Bike
    GSXR450
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    Cheers for the heads up Shaun. Piece of info that might save someones life one day.

Deffianately worth trying, I swear it has saved my arse on many accasions, I had a slapper at Manfeild many moons ago that buckled the front wheel so bad that the bike could not be pushed, both the stearing stops were smashed off, and the petrol tank had dents in both sides of it, and I did not crash!
    I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots! ALBERT EINSTEIN

Bike
    2003 X11 "The Klingon"
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Just another 2c worth

After racing for over 21 years now on the track and pure road courses, I have had a Shite load of the infamous tank slappers

I discoverd by fluke and practice the best way for me to deal with tank slappers

I have always applied the rear brake and kept the throttle pinned, this soughts them out very very quick! Now this goes against what most have said in here about moving your weight forward, because appling the rear brake takes the weight of the front wheel and transfers it to the rear?

My logic to my theory/Practice is this, if your bike is tank slapping and you move your weight forward, you are putting a heck of a lot more load on the front wheel which will make it bump stear more on the road service and you will have to ride it out untill the chassis can catch up and deal with it, but if you were to apply the rear brake and take some load of the front tyre, you now have the time to take control of the front wheel and stop the slapper from getting worse.

Always worked for me
    Thats very interesting Shaun, whats your opinion with respect to linked brakes eg Blackbird X11 et al?

Bike
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Deffianately worth trying, I swear it has saved my arse on many accasions, I had a slapper at Manfeild many moons ago that buckled the front wheel so bad that the bike could not be pushed, both the stearing stops were smashed off, and the petrol tank had dents in both sides of it, and I did not crash!
    As a matter of interest, was there a steering damper on that bike at the time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank
    You say "no one wants to fuck with some large bloke on a really angry sounding bike" but the truth of the matter is that you are a balding middle-aged ice-cream seller from Edgecume who wears a hello kitty t-shirt (in your profile pic) and your angry sounding bike is a fucken hyoshit - not some big assed harley with a human skull on the front.

Bike
    Sold
    Would someone please describe the difference between a tankslapper and a headshake as I thought it was the same thing but apparently not according to some of the UK Blackbird website members. I was riding up to Coromandel in drizzly conditions about a month ago on the back road between Matamata and Te Aroha. I came up to a country crossroads in second or third and as there was nothing coming, accelerated over it with what I thought was a whiff of throttle. The back end whipped sideways with such speed that one of my feet came off the pegs and when it whipped back in the other direction, the end of the peg drilled me in the calf so hard that I had sweat trickling down my face. Anyway, whilst all this was going on, I got a really bad weave with the bars fluttering back and forwards. It was only good luck that I stayed on. This was what the guys called head shake which is not a tank slapper according to them.

Any comments?

Incidentally, I got to Coro and could hardly get off the bike. There was a wee mark on my calf where I'd been hit but 2 days later, my foot was all the colours of the rainbow. Internal bleeding I suppose

Bike
    Big, black and slow
    Here's some tank slappers and as Shaun says, tapping the rear will sort em out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tank slappers.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	253.8 KB 
ID:	53433  

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    I have as much chance of coping with them as I did with my problem but thanks for the memories

Bike
    GSXR450
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Would someone please describe the difference between a tankslapper and a headshake as I thought it was the same thing but apparently not according to some of the UK Blackbird website members. I was riding up to Coromandel in drizzly conditions about a month ago on the back road between Matamata and Te Aroha. I came up to a country crossroads in second or third and as there was nothing coming, accelerated over it with what I thought was a whiff of throttle. The back end whipped sideways with such speed that one of my feet came off the pegs and when it whipped back in the other direction, the end of the peg drilled me in the calf so hard that I had sweat trickling down my face. Anyway, whilst all this was going on, I got a really bad weave with the bars fluttering back and forwards. It was only good luck that I stayed on. This was what the guys called head shake which is not a tank slapper according to them.

Any comments?

Incidentally, I got to Coro and could hardly get off the bike. There was a wee mark on my calf where I'd been hit but 2 days later, my foot was all the colours of the rainbow. Internal bleeding I suppose

Head shake/Tank slappers, they really are one in the same. Head shake is really only the beggining of a good tank slapper. What you have described is more like a tank slapper to me

Bike
    GSXR450
    Quote Originally Posted by CaN View Post
    As a matter of interest, was there a steering damper on that bike at the time?

No mate, just the good old arms

Bike
    GSXR450
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post

Do you have any contact details for the tapping to be done?

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Weaving , with bars shaking or fluttering can happen on any bike. That's head shake, and provided the rider doesn't panic the shake will normally dampen down and disappear of its own accord.

However, occasionally (some bikes being much more prone to it than others), the inherent flexing frequencies of the frame coincide with the vibration of the shake.

If that happens the frame flexs with the shake, that intensifies the shake, which causes more flex which intensifies the shake which causes more etc etc . This causes the "shake" to build up very quickly to the point where it has colossal strength. Usually it will rip the steering stops out and smash the forks into the tank (hence the name) , before highsiding the rider when the wheel twists through 90 degress.

So, essentially a tankslapper is an uncontrollable dynamically amplified head shake, that, unlike a normal head shake, does not stabilise.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Thread Information