Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tankslappers explained

Bike
    GSXR450
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy B View Post
    Thats very interesting Shaun, whats your opinion with respect to linked brakes eg Blackbird X11 et al?

Only my opinion!

I hate the linked break thing, I really believe that the rider should be in controll of there own destiny, but I also hate ABS systems, you cannot stop as quick with ABS as you can with a normall system
    I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots! ALBERT EINSTEIN

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post

I discoverd by fluke and practice the best way for me to deal with tank slappers

I have always applied the rear brake and kept the throttle pinned, this soughts them out very very quick! Now this goes against what most have said in here about moving your weight forward, because appling the rear brake takes the weight of the front wheel and transfers it to the rear?

That was pretty much the accepted wisdom back in the day when they were common on road bikes. Pin the throttle and stay away from the front brake, keep the front end light.

EDIT. Since the true slapper only occurs when frame flex coincides with shake frequency (or harmonics thereof), probably any major redistribution of wheel load or weight may change the frame flex frequency enough to break the amplification cycle. So all those things may work.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    So, essentially a tankslapper is an uncontrollable dynamically amplified head shake, that, unlike a normal head shake, does not stabilise.
    Thanks Shaun and Ixion, much clearer now. It sorted it out by itself thank goodness, I was preparing to get hurt so there was no intervention from me.

Bike
    Big, black and slow
    Do you have any contact details for the tapping to be done?
    You lookin for a head shake?

Bike
    GSXR450
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    You lookin for a head shake?

I will take what I can get, but a full on slapping would be much more betterer
    I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots! ALBERT EINSTEIN

Bike
    2003 X11 "The Klingon"
    Only my opinion!

I hate the linked break thing, I really believe that the rider should be in controll of there own destiny, but I also hate ABS systems, you cannot stop as quick with ABS as you can with a normall system
    Thanks Shaun,

I quite like linked brakes but you skill level and mine would be worlds apart

I was more referring to your comments about applying the rear and pinning the throttle to sort out a TS. Linked brakes will fire a pot on the front when you apply the rear; do you think that your technique would still work despite this automatic application of a little front brake?

Bike
    06 10 WITH ALL THE FANCY BITS
    i find on the two bikes i've ridden the most, slappers are very related to the tyre pressures (of course surface causes them though but the thign that lets them is the pressure). almost been spat off like lou's first post on the zxr250, same speeds same thing. had bike going between my thighs leg to leg like the iom clip everyone has seen and almost toppling off it... many many slappers on that thing and the 10r lately (pressures too high!!!)

Bike
    GSXR450
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy B View Post
    Thanks Shaun,

I quite like linked brakes but you skill level and mine would be worlds apart

I was more referring to your comments about applying the rear and pinning the throttle to sort out a TS. Linked brakes will fire a pot on the front when you apply the rear; do you think that your technique would still work despite this automatic application of a little front brake?

No mate, I do not think my technique will work in this situation

Bike
    GSXR450
    Quote Originally Posted by N4CR View Post
    i find on the two bikes i've ridden the most, slappers are very related to the tyre pressures (of course surface causes them though but the thign that lets them is the pressure). almost been spat off like lou's first post on the zxr250, same speeds same thing. had bike going between my thighs leg to leg like the iom clip everyone has seen and almost toppling off it... many many slappers on that thing and the 10r lately (pressures too high!!!)

You can also all but gaurantee that the stearing head bearings are to loose and not packed with grease properly, allowing the stearing axis to be loose and subject to a lot of movement by bump stearing on the road

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX1100 Turbo
    You can also all but gaurantee that the stearing head bearings are to loose and not packed with grease properly, allowing the stearing axis to be loose and subject to a lot of movement by bump stearing on the road
    So would a shot steering head bearing be a high contributing factor to a tankslapper?
    "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary - that's what gets you."
    Jeremy Clarkson.

Kawasaki 200mph Club

Bike
    Had a 2007 Suzuki C50T Boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco Dan View Post
    So would a shot steering head bearing be a high contributing factor to a tankslapper?

Probably, since they're at the top...
    You don't get to be an old dog without learning a few tricks.
    Shorai Powersports batteries are very trick!

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    3. Not all sportbikes need a steering damper, however. Many have steering geometry setups that offer quick handling, while still providing the necessary stability to damp out any front-end oscillations.
    Fazer is awesome at this, i just about dropped her comming out of the classic races. Back tyre was full of gravel in the grip and i opened the throttle only to have the back kick out and drop the bike to a 20 degree angle before i killed the throttle and threw the bars back up again.
    Didnt have time to get the stabiliser out, was so thankful that i didnt have clipons then.
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    Its funny you mention that cos i had the exact opposite happen when my bearing was failing on one of my previous bikes. It didn't like turning - like it had a dampener on it.
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    GSXR450
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco Dan View Post

Very well could be

Bike
    GSXR450
    Quote Originally Posted by avgas View Post
    Its funny you mention that cos i had the exact opposite happen when my bearing was failing on one of my previous bikes. It didn't like turning - like it had a dampener on it.

Which could also cause slappers

Thread Information