Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which material is best for protection?

Bike
    None

Which material is best for protection?

Hi guys
    I need to buy some protective gear for when i start road riding. Which is better protection wise out of leather w/body armour and the kind of rain-jacket padded material (sorry dont know its proper name) with body armour? (some have kevlar).
    Ive always though leather looks better LOL but would rather have something which would cushion my fall so speak because i know i will come off the bike on the road at some stage
    Any advice would be appreciated

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    Cordura is the man made stuff, alright for one crash then needs replacing

But nothing beats leathers, for ultimate protection, not waterproof so buy a waterproof suit to go over!

Bike
    I've always worn leathers, always will. I've had conversations with others that the cordura is more convenient, cheaper, has armour plating etc etc.

My question is: Why isn't it used for racing on a regular basis??

Be prepared to spend good money on quality gear.
    e.g. one piece leather suit $1000-
    helmet from $500- up
    waterproof boots $500
    summer gloves $100
    waterproof gloves $200
    waterproof suit $150 (worn over leathers)

In 12years its only my second suit. Would highly recommend a one-piece, because two-piece or jackets tend to ride up while slidding down the road at speed. Can be rather painful and recovery time is alot longer, so is worth the extra hassle.

Spend the money, cause once you fall off its soooooooo too late to wish you had. Unfortunately, its not if, its more when.
    It is what it is

If you want to blat around at high speed on a sports bike and pose at the cafe - go for leather (colour coded to the bike of course)

If you want to put in lots of km in all conditions go for a cordura set up.

If you want to adventure ride go for cordura.

Bike
    2011 Kawasaki ZX-14 "Monster"
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch
    I've always worn leathers, always will. I've had conversations with others that the cordura is more convenient, cheaper, has armour plating etc etc.

My question is: Why isn't it used for racing on a regular basis??

Be prepared to spend good money on quality gear.
    e.g. one piece leather suit $1000-
    helmet from $500- up
    waterproof boots $500
    summer gloves $100
    waterproof gloves $200
    waterproof suit $150 (worn over leathers)

In 12years its only my second suit. Would highly recommend a one-piece, because two-piece or jackets tend to ride up while slidding down the road at speed. Can be rather painful and recovery time is alot longer, so is worth the extra hassle.

Spend the money, cause once you fall off its soooooooo too late to wish you had. Unfortunately, its not if, its more when.
    Ok, even though I'm only getting a jacket and pants 2 bins (week 1 & 3), 2.5 months and 4000km later, I don't think spending $500+ on a helmet is necessary.. I got a HJC CS-10 gloss black helmet for $120, and that is fine.. Gloves $100? go buy from QuasiEvil.. Waterproof boots $500? I got some really nice boots from LifeStyleImports, and waterproofed them myself.. $170 (including the can of waterproofing stuff..)

..meh..
    “There's nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others, is there? ”-Clerks

Bike
    in my own opinion, buy what you can afford, and for the conditions you will be riding in.. When I first started, all I wanted was a 2-piece leather suite, now that I work at dx-mail, riding in really crap weather a lot of the time (and still with 'not proper gear', I'm gonna be getting me a 2-piece cordura suite on Thursday, and then when I have more money, I'll get an average 1-piece leather suit for group rides, etc..
    “There's nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others, is there? ”-Clerks

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroIndex
    Ok, even though I'm only getting a jacket and pants 2 bins (week 1 & 3), 2.5 months and 4000km later, I don't think spending $500+ on a helmet is necessary.. I got a HJC CS-10 gloss black helmet for $120, and that is fine.. Gloves $100? go buy from QuasiEvil.. Waterproof boots $500? I got some really nice boots from LifeStyleImports, and waterproofed them myself.. $170 (including the can of waterproofing stuff..)

..meh..

Once you've slid down the road a couple of times, be interesting to see if ya still gonna buy cheap gear.

There is no substitute for good quality gear.
    It is what it is

Bike
    Various things
    You asked about the best for crash protection.....
    Leather, end of story.
    How many cows have you seen with gravel rash?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch
    Once you've slid down the road a couple of times, be interesting to see if ya still gonna buy cheap gear.

There is no substitute for good quality gear.
    dude.. I have [re: your post] "slid down the road a couple of times" ..and that was over 2 months ago.. I now have money to buy gear, but I'm gonna start off with some nice cheap cordura, cause that is what I can afford, and it will fill my gear needs..

Bike
    BMW K1200R
    Appropriate gear depends on how good a rider you are.
    If you're shit then wear leather. If you're good, jandals will suffice.
    We're all fucked. I'm fucked. You're fucked. The whole department is fucked. It's the biggest cock-up ever. We're all completely fucked.
    -Sir Richard Mottram

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Quote Originally Posted by gt244
    ...because i know i will come off the bike on the road at some stage
    Why?

,,,Once you've slid down the road a couple of times, be interesting to see if ya still gonna buy cheap gear.
    Maybe he doesn't intend to slide down the road. It's not mandatory you know?

Very sensible. some of the figures quoted for magic gear are absurd. Noone would ever take up motorcycling if such expenditures were indeed necessary. If you intend to treat the road as a road not a racetrack, there is no need for such extravagance. Keep it for the race track.

How many cows have you seen with gravel rash
    Not many. But then, I've not seen many cows riding motorbikes, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by gt244
    because i know i will come off the bike on the road at some stage
    If you believe that your riding ability is that inadequate that you are inevitably going to crash then it is my opinion you should NOT ride a motorcycle.

Alternatively, book yourself in for riding courses.

Bike
    Left Jandal
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Skid
    Appropriate gear depends on how good a rider you are.
    If you're shit then wear leather. If you're good, jandals will suffice.
    i tried the jandals only today, sheesh, talk about shrinkage...
    what do you wear?

Bike
    BMW K1200R
    Quote Originally Posted by Strat
    i tried the jandals only today, sheesh, talk about shrinkage...
    what do you wear?
    I wear full leathers in my Honda Jazz, since the door fell off.
    Fuking Honda build quality my arse.
    We're all fucked. I'm fucked. You're fucked. The whole department is fucked. It's the biggest cock-up ever. We're all completely fucked.
    -Sir Richard Mottram

Bike
    None
    Got a bike a couple of days ago, just learning to ride it now (on grass atm) though ive been told i should try to learn on the road seeing as thats where ill be riding it.
    I'd be a real dumba** (and a heck of an optimist) to think that i wasnt going to come off my bike at some stage, i dont WANT to come off but even if im 100% vigilent and cautious i cant control the other road users who might not be so careful.
    As they say, practice makes perfect and ill be sure to do alot of that before i go out for a serious ride!

Thread Information