Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Slow handling questions.....

Bike
    2007, Kawasaki Z750 (L)
    That's the thing... I used to be able to do them fine on bicycles... Just tried it on a bicycle again... I haven't been able to do them on bicycles since I got the bike....

Thanks for your advice everyone... More time on a parking lot for me I think.
    I have deep pockets. It's just that it's a deep empty pocket...........

Bike
    VTR1000 SP1
    I wouldn't worry about using the clutch once you've pulled away. go a couple of metres straight first to get balanced, then turn in trailing the back brake quite a bit(so the engine is pulling against it....avoids the jerky on/off throttle bit), and to pull youself up out of the lean, either accelerate, or slowly ease the brake off. using the clutch only give you something else to think about. throttle and brake...easy as...evn the girlfreind can do it that way now.

oh, and turn your head as far around to look where you want to end up heading in the end...not at the opposite kerb.
    mike

Bike
    Yep, I'm with Squeak on this one. Definately ride with the rear brake on.

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadmeister
    Yep, I'm with Squeak on this one. Definately ride with the rear brake on.
    Havent used the rear brake whilst moving in years.

Bike
    XZ10R 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by beyond
    Most bikes under very low speed cornering, in first gear, have sudden on off progression of power because of the gearing.
    As has been suggested, you need to feather the clutch to smooth this sudden transition. There really is no other way to deal with it.

Fuel injected models make this even more severe.
    Try that on a ZX10R f**ken thing will try to through you into the next
    state
    the art of diplomacy is saying nice doggie,
    until you find a big rock

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    The Hornet at low speeds has a throttle response like a light switch. When leaving work I always used to bung it into second real quick so as to avoid embarrassment. The Power Commander smoothed that out.

When manouvering at slow speeds lean out instead of in. If it's really tight stand on the pegs. Feather the clutch, and leave the front brake alone.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Something red and quick
    Quote Originally Posted by CaN
    A low speed counter steer???
    Yes. it's weird, isn't it?
    Elite Fight Club - Proudly promoting common sense and safe riding since 2024
    http://1199s.wordpress.com

Bike
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmoot
    Yes. it's weird, isn't it?
    Yes very...
    To be clear, what would you define as low speed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank
    You say "no one wants to fuck with some large bloke on a really angry sounding bike" but the truth of the matter is that you are a balding middle-aged ice-cream seller from Edgecume who wears a hello kitty t-shirt (in your profile pic) and your angry sounding bike is a fucken hyoshit - not some big assed harley with a human skull on the front.

Bike
    Something red and quick
    Quote Originally Posted by CaN
    Yes very...
    To be clear, what would you define as low speed?
    low enough to do a u-turn, i guess.

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Well , if you're banked well over, and sitting upright (ie not hanging off) , in a U turn (which is perfectly possible), I think you must countersteer to initiate the turn?

I know we say that counter steering dowsn't work below X kph, but I'm not sure if that is quite true. Just that methods OTHER than counter steering DON'T work above X kph.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    2011 Kawasaki ZX-14 "Monster"
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion
    Well , if you're banked well over, and sitting upright (ie not hanging off) , in a U turn (which is perfectly possible), I think you must countersteer to initiate the turn?

I know we say that counter steering dowsn't work below X kph, but I'm not sure if that is quite true. Just that methods OTHER than counter steering DON'T work above X kph.
    you don't need all these scientific theories.. you can either u-turn, or you can't..
    There's nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others, is there? -Clerks

Bike
    Something red and quick
    Goldwings and some BMWs have reverse gear so you can do 3-point turn.

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Scotts, the engine will generally reverse if you full advance it quickly at idle, so you can do the same thing.

Alternatively do it the easy way . Don't turn. the world is round, Just go straight ahead.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

And for another slant on it - how fast can you U turn?

I used to be able to U turn in our culdesac on my BSA single in top gear - full retard on the spark and lay it on the footpeg,good fun.

Bike
    Aquired by locals
    Make sure your tyre pressures are spot on
    To every man upon this earth
    Death cometh sooner or late
    And how can a man die better
    Than facing fearful odds
    For the ashes of his fathers
    And the temples of his Gods

Thread Information