Thread: Slow handling questions.....

Bike
    Bonnie Black

Thumbs up speaking of u-turns and tight manoeuvring

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now

Jap u-bends

https://youtu.be/-jyltAAFS4E

Trick seems to be to accelerate into the turn, starting with a flick the wrong way to set up the lean.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GazzaH View Post

Trick seems to be to accelerate into the turn, staring with a flick the wrong way to set up the lean.
    epic dredge cunt

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9twUAi...JyIDYwMA%3D%3D

Bike
    W650 sidecar & HD Fat Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post

Thanks for that Akzle, bloody impressive to see.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by GazzaH View Post

Trick seems to be to accelerate into the turn, starting with a flick the wrong way to set up the lean.

Cheers for this post GazzaH, these posts really shows up how inadequate my turning ability is, something else I need to work on.

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Jeez those Japs are quick!
    I can't decide if yanks doing it on Harleys are more or less impressive...
    https://youtu.be/VuQ1i1W0I2s
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Andy View Post
    Jeez those Japs are quick!
    I can't decide if yanks doing it on Harleys are more or less impressive...
    https://youtu.be/VuQ1i1W0I2s

That is impressive, especially on those monsters, they must be 350kg+ bikes

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Quote Originally Posted by old slider View Post
    Yeah goes to show the techniques are the same, whatever the machine, even if the limits change.
    After watching that it makes me a bit annoyed when I ride with blokes on big heavy bikes and can't manage them. They'd probably be ok on a smaller bike if they could swallow their pride...

Whoops. Friday rant on a Monday. Sorry
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    Quote Originally Posted by old slider View Post
    The bikes are heavy too.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Most of us won't ever get to the standard the Japanese guys do. They got there with years of practise, riding bikes that got replaced when they dropped them. Most of us have to payu for our own repairs, so won't get as good as them any time soon.

Anyone can do a U-turn on a bike, keeping the bike completely upright. It'll be a big wide U-turn, and it'll be based purely on balance. Likely, it'll be fairly unsteady.

You can do a tighter turn by leaning the bike into the turn. But if you do that, and don't give the bike any power, it'll fall over. So, you need to give the bike power proportional to the lean angle. More lean, more power.

But that power will turn into speed, so yo need to use the rear brake to control the speed.

Don't forget, the throttle produces power, but the clutch decides how much of that power goes to the back wheel. You'll develop a feel for that with practise.

So, what you are doing is giving the bike power to support the lean angle, and using the back brake to control the speed. In this way, you can turn in a really controlled manner.

During this whole process, you'll have you head and eyes up, and you head turned in the manner a Meerkat does. Look where you want to go. Like, turn your head, don't lean it.

Anyone can turn almost any bike as tight as it can go, using this technique. It's the everyman technique.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Most of us won't ever get to the standard the Japanese guys do. They got there with years of practise, riding bikes that got replaced when they dropped them. Most of us have to payu for our own repairs, so won't get as good as them any time soon.

Anyone can do a U-turn on a bike, keeping the bike completely upright. It'll be a big wide U-turn, and it'll be based purely on balance. Likely, it'll be fairly unsteady.

You can do a tighter turn by leaning the bike into the turn. But if you do that, and don't give the bike any power, it'll fall over. So, you need to give the bike power proportional to the lean angle. More lean, more power.

But that power will turn into speed, so yo need to use the rear brake to control the speed.

Don't forget, the throttle produces power, but the clutch decides how much of that power goes to the back wheel. You'll develop a feel for that with practise.

So, what you are doing is giving the bike power to support the lean angle, and using the back brake to control the speed. In this way, you can turn in a really controlled manner.

During this whole process, you'll have you head and eyes up, and you head turned in the manner a Meerkat does. Look where you want to go. Like, turn your head, don't lean it.

Anyone can turn almost any bike as tight as it can go, using this technique. It's the everyman technique.
    Yup, exactly the technique I use. Takes a bit of practice but keeping the throttle constant is the clue. Meerkat? Yup, once you get close to full lock, neck flexibility is the limiting factor. I notice the motogymkhana riders often do a "head flick" in the turn. Figure 8's are great fun.

Actually attacking a series of motogymkhana turns is a different kettle of fish. Coming into a full lock turn hard on the brakes is very focusing. Not very good at doing it quickly on bigger bikes. Light bikes are great but I do fall off now and again when I run out of tyre. Bugger all damage gets done on a trailie.
    I recommend this kind of practice for everyone. What works at 20 kmh works at 120 kmh. Fantastic skill development and huge fun!
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    I wonder if they change gearing/sprockets to help or are they standard bike setups?

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    I wonder if they change gearing/sprockets to help or are they standard bike setups?
    Every bike I have practiced on is fine with standard gearing. I woulda thunk clutch and brake are the areas that get attention, if any. Never tried it on a sprot bike with really tall 1st gear, though.

I've never been brave enough to get into 2nd.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Your guess is as good as mine on gearing. I wouldn't want it too low on a GSX thou.

Manopausal.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    In those vids have a look at the crash bars those guys have fitted. There's a reason for those.

Thread Information