Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Slow handling questions.....

Bike
    R1200RT LC

Blah

Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Never tried it on a sprot bike with really tall 1st gear, though.
    The challenge with sprot bikes is when you turn full lock to the right, your throttle hand often gets trapped between the tank and the right bar. I often lift my right thumb up over the throttle, along with my fingers, to get better throttle control when turning sharp turns on a sprot bike.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    The challenge with sprot bikes is when you turn full lock to the right, your throttle hand often gets trapped between the tank and the right bar. I often lift my right thumb up over the throttle, along with my fingers, to get better throttle control when turning sharp turns on a sprot bike.
    +1. I watched another vid of a dude binning his Fireblade. Has those neat engine bars and flat handle bars for better turning or less bruised thumbs, not sure which. Sprot bikes with flat bars appeal to me on the road... Sort of.
    I noticed the rider on the GSX covers the clutch with one finger but does not appear to use it, it's all back brake. The Fireblade rider does not even cover the clutch.
    I was really surprised how much control the rear brake gives you doing this stuff. Apply, you turn, lift off, the bike stands up. Magic.

Excellent dredge, I really enjoy motogymkhana practice.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    In those vids have a look at the crash bars those guys have fitted. There's a reason for those.
    indicating maximum lean?

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    I noticed the crash bars, the flat or fat handlebars
    I wondered about the full lock problem, just a matter of practise/changing position
    rear brake etc

always good to watch I must admit - along with sidecars and those bike jumping/hopping from rock to rock events.(can never remember the description name)

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    I noticed the crash bars, the flat or fat handlebars
    I wondered about the full lock problem, just a matter of practise/changing position
    rear brake etc

always good to watch I must admit - along with sidecars and those bike jumping/hopping from rock to rock events.(can never remember the description name)
    Trials, Toni Bou is the most well known rider and an Alien. It's another type of riding I really enjoy. Very technical and much harder than motogymkhana but still slow and relatively safe for a gentleman of my years and fragility.

Getting any bike hard against the lock stop and staying in control is a black art.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    Trials, gymkhana and confident U-turns are all awesome to me. Were you guys born on bikes? I won't ever catch up fully but I'm keen to improve my skills. Need more practice - great excuse to GOOTB (Go Out On The Bike)!

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by GazzaH View Post
    Trials, gymkhana and confident U-turns are all awesome to me. Were you guys born on bikes? I won't ever catch up fully but I'm keen to improve my skills. Need more practice - great excuse to GOOTB (Go Out On The Bike)!
    Get the knowledge and then practice. I've only been dabbling in these black arts for a few years but they have changed my riding dramatically. You just need an empty car park to practise slow speed handling on any bike. Trials requires a bit more investment but bugger all space. A lot of my riding is in the garden.
    Both disciplines are based on understanding absolute basic skills and how a bike behaves, which is enough for me. After that it's about how big your nuts are. Pistachios.....

Those basic skills and how bikes behave applies to all bikes, none of it is sport specific. Bikes don't care, they all, basically, do the same thing and follow the same physical laws.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by GazzaH View Post
    Watch and learn. Then have time, money, gear and bike.

most importantly

attitude, and practise, practise, practise.

i just watch in awe, I don’t have any of the rest

sounds like you you have the right attitude.

listen to your peers, filter out the bad stuff. Try something, you will get better with practise and familiarity.

Takes me ages, as I am a slow learner and I don’t have much time or money to practise.
    but improve I do. I don’t go wild, I enjoy the rides, the company I keep and the countryside.

lots of practise, sometimes a few minutes, sometimes longer. When you start getting frustrated, if you don’t succeed in a few more goes, go and do something else. Come back, tomorrow it’s only a day away like the song says tomorrow
    Last edited by eldog; 13th February 2018 at 19:35. Reason: Trials, dam hard to remember

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    Thanks for the encouragement friends.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Man that shit would get rid of my chicken strips!

Thread Information