Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dyeing plastic

Bike
    Enfield cr250r
    Blog Entries

Dyeing plastic

Now as you all may know I have a CR errr Fetish ...anyway this nafarious activity has left me with a lot of plastic.....

Now this plastic,, rad panels , fenders etc ,,is scratch free BUT has been been well and truely seen to by the sun ... faded , etc and the filler in the plastic ( or what ever plastic is ) has come out ,,, ie you can scrape it off and get a nice surface underneath but with a funky color ,,,,

Does anyone know a way of dyeing it ... Not painting but actually putting a unifor color back into the plastic

Seems a shame to throw it a way ,,,!!! and I have a lot of it

Stephen
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0048.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	328.3 KB 
ID:	33256  
    "Look, Madame, where we live, look how we live ... look at the life we have...The Republic has forgotten us."

Bike
    1989 GB 500
    Here in Canada there is a product called Marhyde. It is used to dye automotive interiors (dash & door pannels) .It is sprayed like paint but it is as thin as water(viscosity).You get it where you buy automotive paints.....give it a try

Bike
    None
    Plastics renewer is good

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    crc or the like gives it a nice colour for around a day or so!

Bike
    2011 Kawasaki ZX-14 "Monster"
    you could always chuck on plastic primer, paint it the desired color, and then ALWAYS REMEMBER, about 3-4 coats of clear-cote
    There's nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others, is there? -Clerks

Bike
    None
    Its for a mx bike so when the plastic flexes the paint will stretch giving it a lovely wrinkled old lady look.
    Painting plastics is pointless

Bike
    2011 Kawasaki ZX-14 "Monster"
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyxr250rider
    Its for a mx bike so when the plastic flexes the pait will stretch giving it a lovely wrinkled old lady look.
    Painting plastics is pointless
    ahhhh.... ok..
    There's nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others, is there? -Clerks

Bike
    Enfield cr250r
    Blog Entries
    up been there tried that, Paint can be done , in fact the fork shrouds on my 250 are painted , as was the old fender and its lasted ok , but Rad shouds flex a bit ...

I would ideally like to replace the color of the plastic ..in a perfect world chuck it in a big pot add dye and bingo perfectly new looking plastic!!

but I dont know anything about the stuff.. That vynal spray looks interesting but its vynal spray ...not sure what this plastic is

happy days

Stephen

I have bought new plastic , it just seems a shame to throw this stuff out when all that has happened is it has faded
    "Look, Madame, where we live, look how we live ... look at the life we have...The Republic has forgotten us."

Bike
    Its yellow. Sometimes a green one
    Blog Entries
    Try heating it with a hot air piant stripper. It softens the plastic and lets it reobsorbe the waxes that leach out of the plastic (the major cause of fade or discolour). Keep the stripper gun moving and watch closely for the colour to begin to change. Its only a few seconds from colour change to melted and bubbled plastic. The girlfriends hair drier works just as well but it takes longer. Less chance of melting stuff tho.
    Regards
    Ian

Bike
    None
    Hey B.D. how about some pictures of your 125 Pretty sure you said you have one.

Bike
    Enfield cr250r
    Blog Entries
    here you go .... not much to look at, at the moment ....will be finished this week ...

Stephen

and that the resident mechanic ...with the allen key in the mainshaft

Name:	Picture 004.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	328.1 KB 
ID:	33342   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 005.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	329.6 KB 
ID:	33343   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 003.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	325.5 KB 
ID:	33344  

Bike
    Honda XR250,VTR1000F,FXR-bucket
    your Cr must be about the 92 model
    this colour was named Nuclear Red

(my brother had one and would get very angry when I called it pink!)

I cleaned up the plastics on my XR250 by using a Jiff type cleaning and buffing up the plastics......looks like new

you could try a buffing compound
    But it sounds like you have new plastics

cheers
    Grantman

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian d'marge
    here you go .... not much to look at, at the moment ....will be finished this week ...

Stephen

and that the resident mechanic ...with the allen key in the mainshaft
    Nice clean frame how long did that take? My frame could do with a "Touch up"
    around the engine rails you get the odd chip here and there where I ride......

Bike
    Enfield cr250r
    Blog Entries
    Well USUALLY I leave the factory paint on then Just paint over, as the factory paint is a good base .

This time I used a wire brush ...( Not just any wire brush , I have this Dremel thats been smoking P ...The health and safety would have kittens if they saw it ,,,but it can strip a frame to bare metal in 1 hour ..it usally take 2 hours , cos if I use the big wire brush it over heats ,,needs water cooling !!!)

Then I Just spray it up using celulose ..

I ususally do it Once or twice a year, touching up frame rails when motor is out

here is a photo of a 125 ( 91) I have , same thing with this one , back to bare metal

Stephen

Name:	P1010153.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	910.9 KB 
ID:	34977   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010154.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	911.5 KB 
ID:	34978  

Bike
    CR250
    What about powder coating? worth it? I was going to strip my bike, get it dunked then powder coated.

Thread Information