Thread: Making a petrol safe gasket. Or a petrol resistant sealant.

Bike
    Tojo and nothing. Damnit.

Making a petrol safe gasket. Or a petrol resistant sealant.

Please help me.

My blasted fuel tap has been giving me grief for ages now.

I thought it was the side of the tap, but I was wrong. Lucky I didn't pay too much for another one. Having a spare isn't a bad thing anyway.

So yeah, now I think it leaks between the tap itself and the tank. The top of the tap is flat, where it bolts onto the tank is flat. There is an o-ring that goes around the gauze and between the tap and the tank.

I measured up and got some o-rings from a fastner shop, but they didn't work. They seemed like the right size. So I got the Honda parts (2.5 weeks wait), that didn't fix it.

I tried plain silicon, but I knew the petrol would have its way with it. It chews through it pretty fast, so I don't want to use that.

So I decicded to try making a gasket.

I used the cover of the yellow-pages, but the petrol went right through that too, capilliary action. I used 'oil resistant' sealant on that, but it seemed to be some f(*^(ing silicon type crap too.

So I was wondering what in hell do I do now? I've never seen it, but then I've never looked for it, but can I buy material for making gaskets that won't fall apart when it comes into contact with petrol? Where can I buy it? I think I could probably chop up another bigger gasket, like the head gasket off a car engine, but that seems silly.

I reckon a really thin bit of cork would do nicely. Anyone know where I can get that?

Is there some goop that isn't silicon that'll hold up? Does anyone know the name? Have used it? Trust it? Silicon does, but only for a very short while, then it breaks down. Turns to jelly.

No bike riding now for a month now is giving me SERIOUS withdrawl. As I started to compose this post I reckon I just heard Velox go onto the m/way, I miss the sound of screaming engine. This is seriously limiting my fun.

Or does someone have a better idea?

I don't want to just ride it, it drips right onto the rear cyclinder head, onto the ignition leads, and makes the bike dirty and smelly.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	whole_tap_assy.gif 
Views:	39 
Size:	15.9 KB 
ID:	33821  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Bike
    I have used J-B weld to seal a tank outlet on my auxilary tank and it's holding up well. If you use JB on your tank and tap then your tap will become a permanent part of your tank as JB weld is a cold weld product but at least the gas wont get out.
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...n-58335340.htm
    http://jbweld.net/products/uses.php

Bike
    TF125
    Go to Seal Imports Ltd. Udy Street (Next to Weldwell) Petone. They stock a full range of O-Rings and Gasket materials and should be able to help you out. Some trade places like this are non cash-sale friendly ($10 sales seem to piss some of them off) but these guys, and Pacific Seals in Cuba Street Petone are very helpful. SKF Bearings in Waione Street are perhaps the biggest Loctite distributors in Welly and have the best range of sealants.

If you have no joy, yell out. I know people.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by XTC
    If you use JB on your tank and tap then your tap will become a permanent part of your tank as JB weld is a cold weld product but at least the gas wont get out.
    I did actually consider that sort of thing! Was getting frustrated. But, only as last resort. Sounds a little bit permanent to me Thanks.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by MAXIMUSDEMERITUS
    Go to Seal Impo [...] nge of sealants.
    Thanks man, I'll give them a shot. I think I know where they are too.
    if you have no joy, yell out. I know people.
    I know people too.. If you want someone 'taken care of'

Thanks!

Bike
    TF125
    Everything you may ever want or need can be found in Petone.

Metalworx Engineering (formerly Accrescent) in Vivian Street is very biker friendly too. Gary the owner is a Triumph owner and builder of wicked Trikes.

You can get gasket paper from Repco,and Hylomar is a fuel resistant sealer.

Bike
    Eeyore
    I just used some of that plastic thread tape on the Triumph. That was with a screw on tap, worked OK.

Bike
    SV1000, RG500, RD350
    Hylomar Blue is petrolproof. Used it on my GT250X7 petrol tap.
    Permatex did a petrol proof gasket goo as well - SueprCheap had it.
    REpco have Hylomar
    Geoff
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) Peace through superior firepower...
    Build your own dyno - PM me for the link of if you want to use it (bring beer)

Bike
    1985 Suzuki GSX R 750
    Hylomar Blue is good or Loctite master gasket, don't over do it and block the fuel system.
    Good luck.

Thread Information