Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The 06 Brass Monkey Thread

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Glad we're not down there now Its colder outside now than it was at the rally!
    Hope T.I.E & Paturoa make it home safely tomorrow as the forecast is looking real shite, predicted 6m swells on the cook straight & upto 10-15cm (edt : Snow ) on the desert road.

Well the nights events went down in usual fashion plenty of woffle & shite, Though FDM had alcoholically inspire hopes of abducting the chic behind the counter at the beer tent, and with words of incouragement ,he ventured forth into the dark ( results unknown ??).
    The night went down with various bikes being cranked up & used to ignite fires.Rain started to fall in the early hours & upon dawn had almost gone so that was a relief, though the main passage through the site had turned into a muddy skating rink. The fire that had raised some sarcastic comments was a bed of glowing embers and was quickly brought back to life then a friendly camp neighbour donated a leaking air-mattress to it (think he might have just got a bit too lonely overnight ), so it became the envy of surrounding area.

Camp was disbanded & we ventured forth into the cool morning back to Ranfurly, a quick re-group & off onto the pig root (mmm sounds dubious now ? otago people are a bit odd that way, cold nights & a good swine ).
    Filtering our way through the clusters of bikes, we managed to get spread out a bit, watching the odd Hardley doing the 3 chop approach to corners isn't to nice to watch. So D & I managed to get some clear ground & set a nice wee pace heading to Palmerston.
    Where we had another re-group, T.I.E & Paturoa along with Beamer89 carried on to St Andrew's to a mates place for a freshen up & prep for their trip further north whilst it was Kai - time for the rest of us.

A couple of brief stops heading home including a bloody cold stop at Timaru, with a few patches of light rain it wasn't too bad, apart from getting caught behind a stock truck & sprayed with @#$% mixing that with a semi wet visor the old wipe the visor on the move trick didn't work too well on the move

Well to all that were met at the rally & on the journey there and back cheers all
    even though the monkey's plums are still in the hammock
    Last edited by T.W.R; 5th June 2006 at 10:14.

Bike
    Buell XB12R
    Just took muttles for a quick walk and OMG theres snow on them there hills!
    Yup, just up the end of the road, on the port hills there is snow, just a bit of a dusting, but I suspect the hilltop road to Akaroa will look rather awesome today... from a car
    "Do not meddle in the affairs of Buells, for they are subtle and quick to wheelie!"
    --J RR1000 Tolkien

yank tank at Glenorchy 2006 rally

Bike
    The Griso

Bike
    09 Bonneville, 79 SR500
    Here you go, this was my Mild Monkey, I mean Brass Monkey ...

Friday
    My mate (KLR650) and I left Chch at around 1200 and slowly worked our way out of town in the drizzle and stop start traffic and slowly overheating inside our wet weather gear. Once we cleared Chch and got up to a decent speed temperatures returned to normal and the drizzle stopped around Hornby. A quick stop at Ashburton for lunch and fuel then continued down to Temuka then inland to Albury where we met up with Transalper and Co – this made us 7 in the group. I had a thermometer attached to the bike and the temperature had varied between 11 and 8 deg to this point. We all headed off to Mackenzie Pass from here, the 1st part of which had new deep gravel recently laid, which made for an interesting ride. There was ice in the roadside ditches and one bridge was white with frost but the road itself was fine. The 2nd half of Mackenzie Pass was fogged in so it was visor up to see properly which got a bit chilly as the temp had dropped to 0.3 deg through here. Out of the fog and onto Hakataramea Pass which didn’t have new gravel and was in good condition and so with time getting on and wanting to get as far as possible before dark the pace was picked up – yee ha. Only one gate to open this time and the fords were all low so was able to keep up a good pace and made it off the gravel in failing light then the last 40km to Kurow in the dark where we stayed at the motor camp for the night. Overnight low here was 5deg.

Saturday
    Left Kurow and met up with Lemans and SDU to go over Dansey’s Pass. Uneventful ride in great conditions, plenty of other bikes on the road including some nice road bikes, big cleaning job coming up for those guys I imagine. Spotted a nice looking Indian at the top - well done that man. On to the compulsory stop at the Dansey’s Pass pub – lots of bikes there and nice and warm inside. The ride over the hill was at about 6 deg, and no sign of any bad weather on this day. Continue off the pass, through Naseby and on to the rally site to find the KB flag and set up camp. Warm on site, no sign of ice, sunglasses needed but no jacket, temp was 12 deg. Temp dropped to around 5 deg when the sun went down.

Sunday
    It rained during the night so I figured that would put an end to any ice, and sure enough, I checked the thermometer in the morning to find the overnight low had only been 3.1 deg outside the tent. The lack of ice/frost and the soft ground conditions confirm the warm temp (warm for the Brass that is). The road bikes were having some trouble leaving the site on the slippery conditions but the adventurers were fine. Left the site and headed back to Dansey’s Pass in patchy drizzle which turned to rain as the altitude increased and became fairly heavy at times approaching the top of the pass, then stopped completely once over the top. About halfway back down we came across a chap on a BMW F650 whose spring had popped off the side stand causing the stand to drag on the ground. Stopped to give him a hand and then my mate on the KLR noticed he had lost a bag off his bike, so got the BMW going while the KLR back tracked looking for the bag. Eventually the KLR returned with the soaked bag – it had landed in a small steam to make a dam of itself. Continued on to Kurow for lunch and fuel, then back onto Hakataramea Pass, where it was raining off and on. Started raining properly about 20km before Fairlie. Lots of bare tar patches which I was quite cautious of in the wet conditions with knobblies on the bike, also the visor was fogging up so had to stay partially open – this was the worst part of the trip in the cold and wet conditions, then the last stop at Gelraldine for more fuel and apply more Rainex and Fog Off to the visor – that cured the fogging problems. From there it was a straight forward ride home down Thompson’s track to Rakaia and home to Chch, hot shower and hot food at 6pm.

Highlights for me …
    MacKenzie Pass, Haka Pass, Dansey's Pass, Dansey’s Pass again, Haka Pass again … mmm all the dirt road stuff. Not much in the way of photos here – I was having too much fun to stop.

Lowlights …
    Only one – the road 20km before Fairlie through to Geraldine on the way home – cold, wet, fogging visor, poor road conditions.

Photo’s
    1. Group of us at the top of Dansey's Pass on Friday
    2. The Indian at the top of the Pass
    3. Dansey’s Pass pub
    4. Camped at the rally
    5. Dansey’s on the way home while waiting for the KLR to get back
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1567.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	171.9 KB 
ID:	34067   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1569.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	190.4 KB 
ID:	34068   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1572.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	180.3 KB 
ID:	34069   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1575.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	190.8 KB 
ID:	34070   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1580.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	122.5 KB 
ID:	34071  
    The views expressed above may not match yours - But that's the reason my Dad went to war - wasn't it?
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, .... but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,... shouting "man, what a ride"!!!

Bike
    A Blade or two
    Well, what more can I say, Bloody fantastic time, And all you guys and girls are a real credit to KB, Absolute top bunch
    Well pretty uneventfull trip home via Rakaia gorge, The more inland we ventured the colder and wetter it became, the gloves and boots gave up being water proof when the rain really nailed us past winchester.
    The only dodgy moment i had was violently wheelspinning in 5th gear while overtaking, damn they can drift sideways fairly quick at that pace.
    After some advice from guys on bikes at Springfield servo we shot the gap pretty quick coz the grit trucks were on the move.
    We saw the last of the rain around lake Lyndon and they had manned grit trucks parked on the dodgier sections so we knew the cold was comming.
    Well I'm a starter for next years Brass after i get a pair of those hand protector thingies that Dangerous flogged off that farmers quad, They must have made a hell of a difference.
    Oh yea, A big thanks to Dangerous for the PM's and a major thanks to T.W.R for directions and tips, You guys are legends
    SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY
    BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Bike
    gsxr 1100r
    Quote Originally Posted by paturoa
    T.I.E & me are tucked up in a motel at Kaikoura at the moment, separate beds! (duvets too). The trip noth was interrupted by a visit to a friend of ties north of Waimate, bacon eggs and crayfish for lunch... mmmmm..., but no latte!. Waved to Dangerous as went past this arvo.The rain just started to pelt down south of Cheviot as it got dark. There was a big stock truck that just sprayed shit everywhere and the inside of my visor got coverred even though it was closed! When we got to the coast it just got worse so we stpped here for the night.
    Booked for the 10am ferry tomorrow & are looking at snow for the trip north. Go figure, go all the way to the brass and have to go home for snow.

Full report pending but having a whale of a time.
    hey there about how many days wood u reconmend to have for that trip plz.....i hope to do it mayb next yr
    it may be a big bike but i know whos legs its been between

Bike
    08 Victory Vegas
    Well at the start (Friday 9:45am) we thought that we would be lucky and have a dry ride.
    Wrong as when we were about to leave it started to rain.

As you can see in pic 1, so we had rain luckily only to Rolleston and was cold to Ashburton and then fine and warm and had a great ride to the back blocks of Oamaru where we spent the night.

In the morning we meet up with Far Que and Flocker to ride over the Danseys Pass, (pic2) to get to the rally site.
    One of the warmest at night.
    But during the night when the wind was right (wrong) it got bloody cold away from the fire (pic3) and as you can see when the fire was lit, no one was close, good fire that.

Rain a bit over night but did not drown out the champion snorer from a tent near or not so nearby.
    The rain stopped long enough for breakfast and pack up.
    Got wet going over the Pig Route and was cold as a witches tit to Palmerston and after wards.
    No rain with wet roads in parts.
    Until Timaru where it got colder and started to rain as we left.
    Absolutely pissed down from Dunsandel.
    Home by 4:45 shower Pizza beer warm bed, no snoring, apart from SDU cutting a cord of timber as she was knackered from from the longest ride she has ever done and did not get much sleep because of the mystery camp snorer, life's good.

It was good to put some faces to names.
    And because Green Meanie could not make it, I/we are going next year with him.
    So hopefully will meet you lot again and some new faces.

Name:	Departing.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	34081   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Top Pass2.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	128.9 KB 
ID:	34082   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fire3.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	34083  
    Feel the fear and do it anyway

Don't confuse education with intelligence.
    There are alot of highly educated idiots out there.

Bike
    Buell XB12R
    Bloody good to catch up with you guys! And that is one damn funny shot of SDU on her tippy toes on the DR...HA!
    Great going for your longest trip SDU, but damn wasn't it cold on that last homeward stretch?! Not surprised to see snow on the hills this morning after listening to the howling wind and rain last night.
    Wet weathers worked pretty good... Jacket was good, must invest in some matching trousers at some point. Th leathers/polypro and overtrou were good but not really warm enough. The new gloves were good: wet on the outside but almost completely dry on the inside. Must look at some waterproof boots for me next... be nice to get some ladies shaped ones this time, must be something out there by now?
    And as for the hot grips...well...have I mentioned just how good they were????
    "Do not meddle in the affairs of Buells, for they are subtle and quick to wheelie!"
    --J RR1000 Tolkien

yank tank at Glenorchy 2006 rally

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Quote Originally Posted by lemans
    ..., no snoring, apart from SDU cutting a cord of timber as she was knackered from from the longest ride she has ever done and did not get much sleep because of the mystery camp snorer, life's good.
    Normally I would raise my hand and own up to being the snorer.... But NOT this time. I know it wasn't me because I was kept awake all night by the loudest snoring I've heard in many a year.

The mystery snorer was in a yellow tent almost directly in front of and slightly to the right of my tent. Young K14 made a half assed attempt to snore, but his effort only lasted about 5 minutes and was so quiet it wouldn't have been heard any more than 2 or 3 tents away.
    Time to ride

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans

A memorial to Troy

A group of guys I know had a special reason for heading to the Brass this year, it was 3yrs to the day that their good mate Troy died on the way to the Brass.
    I knew Troy, and often had a beer with him at the rallys, he rode a ZX12 and rode it bloody well and with only one good leg and an prosthetic 1/2 leg

Troys close mates (KBer OB) decided that it was time to cremate Troys 12, so what better place to do it than the Brass.
    Believe it or not but IIRC Troy was doing 97k when a car pulled out in front of him... yes as you see the bike is how it ended up, 97k isn't all that fast so lets think about it for a sec and then give Troy and his family and mates a thought.

Rock on Man.

Name:	IMG_2837xx.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	34111   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2838xx.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	34112  
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    08 Victory Vegas
    SDU did well on the ride home, we were keeping up with most road bikes.
    And some that caught us up were happy to just tag along.
    Even though SDU was slowing down to give a gap so they could over take easily in the hills.
    They just backed off to let her know that she was doing fine as she was.
    Thanks guys who ever you are.

She adapted well to doing along haul with luggage.
    She is pretty sore now and will pay the price for a while (RSI/OOS).
    We did a couple of full tank runs which is not fun with our seats.
    But it was best to press on to get home before it got darker and we got wet and colder.

SDU just got off the phone to our mate in the back blocks off Oamaru where we stayed Friday night, we are grateful we didn't take up the offer off crashing there last night as they got a bit of snow.
    Another mate of theirs that stayed last night had to wait awhile for the snow to thaw enough on the drive this morning before being able to leave on her bike.

Jantar we will see you next year and with two that did not make it this year through health or finances.
    Feel the fear and do it anyway

Don't confuse education with intelligence.
    There are alot of highly educated idiots out there.

Bike
    09 Bonneville, 79 SR500
    Quote Originally Posted by lemans
    SDU did well on the ride home, we were keeping up with most road bikes.

She adapted well to doing along haul with luggage.
    She did well on the dirt and the seal, keep it up SDU
    Glad you both got home OK.
    The views expressed above may not match yours - But that's the reason my Dad went to war - wasn't it?
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, .... but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,... shouting "man, what a ride"!!!

Bike
    Tuono R , SD900
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous
    A group of guys I know had a special reason for heading to the Brass this year, it was 3yrs to the day that their good mate Troy died on the way to the Brass.
    I knew Troy, and often had a beer with him at the rallys, he rode a ZX12 and rode it bloody well and with only one good leg and an prosthetic 1/2 leg

Troys close mates (KBer OB) decided that it was time to cremate Troys 12, so what better place to do it than the Brass.
    Believe it or not but IIRC Troy was doing 97k when a car pulled out in front of him... yes as you see the bike is how it ended up, 97k isn't all that fast so lets think about it for a sec and then give Troy and his family and mates a thought.

Rock on Man.
    Yes it was time, one ove the first rallys he ever went 2 and the last one he leaft home for (and now he is there)

Name:	RIP.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	149.5 KB 
ID:	34127  

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4

Thumbs up My brass weekend

Friday dinner time left Nelson, had one of the best runs through the Upper Buller; clean and dry. Hit the cold fog after Murchison, was freezing my arse off before Greymouth. Tented it in a motor camp (practice for Sat night), hot shower in the morning!

Saturday was freezing and it started drizzling/raining south of Hokitika. Pretty uneventful run through to SH8A; cold, wet and misty the whole way. Move along, nothing to see here. Shoulda come down the east coast. Got to the rally site and the KB flag about 4:30pm, just in time for brief giddays before the group photo. It was good to meet more of the crew, drink and talk bikes 'round the fire, as one does. The rally was really cool, well organised and a great place to chill out. Someone remember to pack a grinder to make some holes in the fire drum next year, OK?!

Sunday morning I left with Plug to see the Falls Dam near St Bathans. Nice track in, particularly around the gorge. Had a close look at the spillway in action. Brunched at the Vulcan Hotel, St Bathans, to rendevous with Jules, Paul and transalper. Back-tracked to Danseys Pass then refueled body & bike in Kurow. The road around Aviemore Dam is great, sinuous and open. From Benmore Dam we scooted up the Black Forest track...now there's ripper of a road. Just don't spend too long looking at the scenery and have an off-track excursion: it's a lo-o-ong way down! Once back down to the stream it gets a bit faster, except for the fords. North of Black Forest Station the road is, um, quite fast. We were losing light as we headed up Mackenzie Pass, only one bike got stuck in the ford, but like the freestyle mountain biker, only the back wheel didn't make it. From there we headed out Burkes Pass to SH8, and a brief scoot in the drizzle took us to Fairlie. It was nice to spend the night in a warm house, thanks Malcolm. Thanks gents, for a top day's riding. transalper's videos were a bonus.

This morning took my time to pack up and get going, to give the roads a chance to clear. Any standing water in the yard was iced up. SH79 was pretty icy and SH72 was frosty in parts, particularly through the gorges. Did I mention it was really cold? My heated grips on high felt...well, like they were switched off. That was the situation for most of the day. I followed SH72 through to Oxford, cursing the cold and Canterbury's ruler-drawn roads, all the while trying to convince myself that I should be enjoying the views of the snow-clad mountains. From there I headed north onto the Ashley Gorge road, the first corners in ages; I can really recommend that stretch. I warmed up a little with the extra effort cornering. After that it was just a drone home up SH1 then SH6. The only excitement was the grit-turned-greasy-clay on the Rai Saddle climb...glad I was on the adventure bike for that bit.

All in all a pretty good long weekend of motorcycling, 1900km, even if I was bloody cold most of the time - except at the Brass!!!
    Cheers,
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
    All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    The Griso

Oldrider said I should have posted these vids here, so here we go

He did not make it
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/at...9&d=1149497057
    He made it
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/at...0&d=1149497057

So I have,
    The push bike tried hard, finally making the jump.

Reading this thread took me back those 3 years, I am guessing by the image this was at the intersection of Main-south and Halswell Junction, I lived just down the road, it was a terrible morning that one to hear the events and that this guy lived so close.
    So sad, I used to use that intersection every day to got to work, after that I avoided it.

I saw bike surrounded by flame on Saturday night, "at rest"

Thread Information