View Poll Results: Would you ever want to go on the race track?

Voters
285. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not On your nelly -you'd have to be nuts

4 1.40%
  • Only on someone else's bike

5 1.75%
  • Maybe one day

35 12.28%
  • I want to but havent yet

169 59.30%
  • Already doing it

72 25.26%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Going racing? Here's what you need.

Bike
    Honda PC800
    If anybody can corrrect me on any of this --PLEASE DO
    Im working from memory here
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    1991 Kawasaki ZXR400L1
    Quote Originally Posted by FzerozeroT
    does that mean my rearsets are out?
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. Lots of racers run questionable mods like rearsets and fairings/parts off other bikes.

It will only become a problem if you start coming in the top 5 and someone makes a protest.

Bike
    Honda PC800
    yea i agree With HQ -
    Im only quoting the rules . There can be a fair bit of difference in how its policed from sctutineer to scrutineer and track to track.
    That said It'd be a bummer to rock up at scrutineering and have some officious bugger say --nope ya cant race 150 class cos its modified
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by xjxjxj
    Thanks for the heads up but im pretty sure you dont need tether type kill switches for track racing -its a specific for street races -public road races only and is covered under suplimentry rules
    But hey Im open to correction on that one
    Nope, you're right.
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Bike
    RC36, WR, RS250, GSXR1000, Duke250, IZH
    the other option I have been looking at (lap times) is mod the fuck out of it and race in F3?

where are the top speeds taken at manfield?

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    the other option I have been looking at (lap times) is mod the fuck out of it and race in F3?

They don't take top speeds, they're average speeds.

Sorry if you thought the fastest an F3 bike did was 160kph.

Bike
    XT600

Why not clubmans? That's an anything goes class. I race sv650 and last time out there was a couple of 400's, 750's and 1100's and TK on his rs250. OK, so I'm not going to beat all the faster bikes, but you're still out there.

Only proviso is that if you get too fast, then you might be asked to step up a class

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by White trash
    They don't take top speeds, they're average speeds.

Sorry if you thought the fastest an F3 bike did was 160kph.
    No, i saw the 120kph for 150SS and thought "Fuck! I'll annihilate them"

Quote Originally Posted by svs
    Why not clubmans? That's an anything goes class. I race sv650 and last time out there was a couple of 400's, 750's and 1100's and TK on his rs250. OK, so I'm not going to beat all the faster bikes, but you're still out there.

Only proviso is that if you get too fast, then you might be asked to step up a class
    Very good idea, I've sent an e-mail to Mortorcycling NZ asking about classes and such, Clubman sounds faster than F3 though? I don't mind coming last (someone has to) But I don't want to be a hazard for faster riders.

Bike
    Honda PC800
    dude clubmans is the class speciflicly for newbee racers
    you will find that corners are the great leveller
    For example--now Im FAR from fast But at pukie I had a huge battle with a guy on a suzuki 1000 and I was on a borrowed bandit 600. Sure he had me on the straights but I was able to carry higher cornering speeds.
    For the record 125's carry the highest speed through corners of any class.
    and the 125 race bikes are pretty darn competative in f3.
    The other thing you'll find is that taupo is a rider track far motre than a power track

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    But I don't want to be a hazard for faster riders.
    Well thought out, the speed diferential in Clubmans can be frightening. Some of these GSXR Thou pilots are closing on the straights at almost twice the speed of slowe bikes.

Bike
    2007 Suzuki GSX-R600
    Clubman sounds faster than F3 though? I don't mind coming last (someone has to) But I don't want to be a hazard for faster riders.
    Clubman can be faster than F3 given the broader variety of bikes that can enter. I'm planning on picking up something soon and racing with VMC towards the end of the season.

You should never be worried about being a hazard to faster riders. One of the very first things I was tought when starting racing in Aussie is that it's your prerogative to hold your line and speed anywhere on the track even if you are being shown the blue flag. It is the job of the faster and usually more experienced rider to assess the situation correctly and make a safe pass on you. The worst thing you can do on seeing a blue flag is something unpredictable like braking and going off the race line, 'cause 9 times out of 10, that will be where the quicker bike will be heading to get past you. Another great thing in Aussie was that for the whole of your first season of racing, regardless of whatever class you were racing in, you had to wear a orange dayglo bib over your leathers.
    Team Brehaut Racing - VMCC/MNZ #67
    supported by Team Brehaut Racing, GARAGE Espresso, TSS Red Baron, Walker & McLuskie Ltd, Porirua Auto Crash Repairs,
    Jackson Van Interiors, Super Save Cars, Supreme Screens Ltd, & Slotmedia.co.nz

Bike
    1973 TZ350A
    While your all talking about racing dont forget about the pacific club round 3 30th May 04 at Taupo!, they have a great clubman class, also if you race in club mans you can not enter other classes.

Bike
    08 ZX-6R Race Bike, FXR150
    Well ive got my Membership too AMCC now all i need is my licence, ive got my forms for SS150 for the 5th of may, i will probably go down early sunday morning (very early) instead of staying the night..... Now i just need to sort my shit out with my bike (where did i put that drill......)
    See Robert Taylor for any Ohlins requirements www.northwest.co.nz
    Thanks Colemans Suzuki
    Thanks AMCC
    I use DID Chains and Akrapovic Exhausts

Bike
    Honda PC800
    ts you mean saturday dont ya --5th is a sat Im sure
    Ya can always come down crash with us in the motel room

Bike
    XJXJXJ: thats what I thought about TS asking me bout the 6th as well, but there is racing on (Bay of Plenty?) so you could enter both and get two days of racing with one trip

Thread Information