View Poll Results: Would you ever want to go on the race track?

Voters
285. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not On your nelly -you'd have to be nuts

4 1.40%
  • Only on someone else's bike

5 1.75%
  • Maybe one day

35 12.28%
  • I want to but havent yet

169 59.30%
  • Already doing it

72 25.26%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Going racing? Here's what you need.

Bike
    VIVID
    Quote Originally Posted by bert_is_evil View Post
    Once you have all of your licenses etc sorted how much does it cost to race in clubmans (assuming you pay per race)?
    if yo vic club member its $65 plus $30 for transponder hireage (thingy that gets your times, you have to have one, or buy for $500)
    so $95 for the day

Bike
    22"Z900rsSE, Z1R, FZR1000, KTM 2 smoker
    Hey guys I've read quite a few threads in this racing forum like this..http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=51961.
    Is this normal for your sport.
    And is it the sort of camaraderie you can expect in the pits when you do your first meeting. I was thinking of having a go in pre 82.

Oh great write up frosty! That would have taken a bit of time as well.
    On a Motorcycle you're penetrating distance, right along with the machine!! In a car you're just a spectator, the windshields like a TV!!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out! Shouting, ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! '

Bike
    2006 Suzuki DR650 & FZR1000 race bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Reckless View Post
    ...And is it the sort of camaraderie you can expect in the pits when you do your first meeting. I was thinking of having a go in pre 82.
    I can tell you that I just got back into racing in Dunedin through the Otago Club. Didn't know anybody or how things worked these days. Just turned up to a few events and found everybody was so helpfull friendly and supportive. People just came over and helped me, lent me tools and offered advice. I gotta say I was really impressed by the attitude of competitors and officials alike! Anybody down here thinking of having a go - front up to one of the events and introduce yourself and hopefully you will find it as much fun as I have. Hope you have better luck staying upright than I do though!!!

Bike
    Honda PC800
    hey folks this info is a coupleof years old--if there are changges ive missed please gimme a yell
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    Honda PC800
    ok can someone up to date just check this is still current?
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    1998 yamaha r1

cheers

thanks for the help mate. this is exactly the info i was looking for. i am dead keen on racing. as speeding fines are crippling my bank account. the only other question i have is what is generally a good sized bike to start racing on, because I have been on a thou for a while now and don't really want to miss out on the horsepower?
    keep it simple. break the rules

Bike
    '88 GSX-R 250
    how much are trackdays at manfield? i live about a minute from the track which is pretty convenient, i think the ones my mate does are $40?
    anyway the only problem would be the suspension on my gixxer, very squishy, very divey, think ill be putting some 15 or 20 weight in it.

Bike
    600RR3
    Quote Originally Posted by littlegixxer View Post
    how much are trackdays at manfield? i live about a minute from the track which is pretty convenient, i think the ones my mate does are $40?
    anyway the only problem would be the suspension on my gixxer, very squishy, very divey, think ill be putting some 15 or 20 weight in it.
    The test days at Manfeild are $100. You get a HEAP of track time for that though. I think the first one I got about 8 20 minutre sessions, and I didn't do all of them.

Bike
    89 Honda VFR400
    Whats the current standard sticker/standard that helmets need to have for road racing?

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by Benk View Post
    Whats the current standard sticker/standard that helmets need to have for road racing?
    from the MNZ rule book

8-2-2 COMPETITION HELMET STANDARDS:
    All new helmets available in New Zealand are manufactured overseas. These are made to various standards. The following standards acceptable for helmets for use in MNZ events.

Road & Off Road AS/NZS 1698:2006

Road
    Europe ECE 22-04 or 22-05, ‘P’
    Japan JIS T 8133 : 2000
    USA SNELL M 2000 or M 2005

Only helmets of single shell construction are permitted for road racing events. Two piece or flip top helmets may be used for have-a-go or track introduction days.

Off Road
    Europe ECE 22-04 or 22-05, ‘P’, ‘NP’ or ‘J’
    USA SNELL M 2000 or M 2005

For International events the following standards apply.

Road
    Europe ECE 22-05, ‘P’
    USA SNELL M 2005

Off Road
    Europe ECE 22-05, ‘P’, ‘NP’ or ‘J’
    USA SNELL M 2005

8-2-2-1 All helmets manufactured, as evidenced by the manufacturers date of manufacture labeling, more than 10 years prior to the date of an event may be impounded under the terms of rule 8-2-5. Where no date of manufacture is visible on the helmet the onus is on the competitor to prove that the helmet is less than 10 years old.
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    89 Honda VFR400
    Legend, cheers

Bike
    07 fz6n. 07cbarrrr600
    Blog Entries
    a while ago a friend of mine got into bikes after i did, now he has overtaken me in skill and opened my eyes to the world of club racing, hence ive decided that asap i shall rebuild my spada and give the 250 proddy racers something to be scared about..

ahahaha

Bike
    Honda PC800
    wake up chaos--there ya go

Bike
    Nil 4 now
    Awesome info. I'm definately getting out on the track when finances are a little more willing. thanks for the easy access to the info and making it a lot more simple to this wonderfully complicated brain.
    An experience cannot be proven, intellect and reason cannot prove the beauty of an awesome relationship with a motorbike.

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX9R

what an awesome thread

I was about to start a thread asking all the questions coverd. I am thinking about entering at wanganui but now know I need three race track races under my belt first? ( if i read that corectly)
    Do events like the cliff hanger count? as I have done that twice ( im thinking probably not)

Thread Information