Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anybody use oil additives in their bikes?

Bike
    katzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher
    And Shell has this great new ingredient it puts into its 91 and 95 petrol that improves your economy...
    Yep, even Big Oil sells snake oil and they don't charge you any more for it.
    Why is that?

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher
    And Shell has this great new ingredient it puts into its 91 and 95 petrol that improves your economy...
    Yeah, just ask Jim2 about it
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

You can use these additives as a tool to overcome specific problems - Pro Ma to quieten noisy hydraulic lifters,the various oil additives like Moreys,STP,Wynns etc to overcome oil burning,noisy timing chains etc,gearbox additives to improve shifting,coolant additives to seal leaks...all sorts of things.But they are bandaids,they fix nothing,your worn motor is a worn motor,all you can do is disguise the symtoms and pass it onto someone else.

Bike
    Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion
    You jest? apart from BMW (who do not use common lubrication) and maybe Moto Guzzi, I think you'd be hard to find many that can go even 250000 kilometres without engine work.
    Yeah, a bit scrappy I know... you'd think they could do better, I mean, they're not even 200hp to the litre yet, sheesh.

Bike
    Bikasaurus Rex,Tricerabike
    Quote Originally Posted by CaN
    So ok, maybe I fall into the fuckwit category, but a couple of questions not related to bikes.

The AA supervised a test a while back where they put Wynns for oil in a holden at teh correct ratio, then drained the oil and drove the car from Auckland to wellington.
    Now, I know that Slick50 tried the same thing with their product and failed (about hamilton if I recall correctly).

So my questions...
    Do you feel that a car would normally make it from Auckland to Hamilton sans oil?
    Did Wynns for oil make a difference?

Cause yeah that test pretty well suckered me into thinking it made a difference, that said I don't generally use the stuff and would never use it in the bike.
    So the car made it to wellington.
    I'll bet it put on 20 years of wear on the trip

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Racey Rider
    God puts up with "fuckwits" and "morons" with a darn sight more grace than you have mustered!
    [/COLOR]
    God loves Fuckwits and Morons.
    That's why he often calls them home early

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion
    I have found molyslip type products to be useful in transmissions. But not bike ones, because of the clutch.The engineers who decided that it was a good idea to use a common oil supply fopr gearbox, primary drive, and motor should be taken out and flogged. If I ever designed a bike it would have at least five separate oil supplies, using different oils. Engine bottom end, engine top end, gearbox, clutch, final drive. All different lubrication requirements.

I am sceptical about the brilliance of the wonderful chemists at the big oil companies. For all their work, I do not believe that any better lubricant (as far as pure lubrication goes) has been found than pure castor oil. For both engines and trnsmissions. Of course, you do not get the detergents etc. Most of the research effort is put into reducing cost and adding detergency, low temperature "thinness" to assist starting in cold climates etc.
    Although the XS750 had a common engine and transmission,it did have 2 separate oil baths for the final drive

Bike
    Ducati 854R 2002

I was impressed by

www.mathy.de or www.otto-mathe.de

sorry gents it's in german, but i thought worth having a look.

a friend of mine is using this stuff in his racing kart and he is defiantly a big fan of mathy. Rpm increased by almost 1500rpm and since he is using this stuff no engine breakdowns occurred (half season). I bought a “new” toy last year and ducati is known for chewing up high vis oils especially the old buggers and the high revving R’s. I have done a bit of investigation to make sure mathe hasn’t got any ceramic, cooper, moly or…. based additives and finally I bought the classic soup. Now 2500km after the oil is much cleaner, the oil temp is around 10+deg lower and the shifting goes easier.

Personally I don’t care about fuel consumption and increasing the oil intervals but if I found the rockers and camshafts in a good shape after this season I will keep using this stuff. If somebody is interested, I can translate and post it.

So far otto mathe was a one handed racer back in the 50/60 and 70s, he was a big Porsche fan but very limited in his budget. To save some bugs he developed mathy classic and surprisingly raced his Porsche for 50000km without an oil change or breakdown. Niki Lauda and other racers were quiet impressed by mathe, not sure if it due to his handicap or oil additive.

G’day

mjvduc

Bike
    ST4s-V11 Cafe Sport

Mg v11 & mbl8

I was doing a search as a friend of mine swears by the MBL8 in his guzzis and came across this thread. He uses it in the engine, gearbox and diff. Has hundreds of thousands of kilometers on one of his V11's. I am in the middle of doing the gearbox and engine oils on the Cafe Sport. I did put MBL8 in the diff a while ago and seeing as it cost shitloads I wanted to put it to use but after reading this I am going to forgo putting in the engine and settle for the gearbox.

A good read and a long time since I have been active on this site

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Corse1 View Post
    I was doing a search as a friend of mine swears by the MBL8 in his guzzis and came across this thread. He uses it in the engine, gearbox and diff. Has hundreds of thousands of kilometers on one of his V11's. I am in the middle of doing the gearbox and engine oils on the Cafe Sport. I did put MBL8 in the diff a while ago and seeing as it cost shitloads I wanted to put it to use but after reading this I am going to forgo putting in the engine and settle for the gearbox.

A good read and a long time since I have been active on this site
    Jesus, look at the old names on this thread. 15 years ago.

Rollcall!
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Thread Information