Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody use oil additives in their bikes?

Bike
    01 - ZX7R

Anybody use oil additives in their bikes?

I use a product called Proma MBL8 in my car after every oil change. Its an amazing product and turns a noisey engine into a smooth as silk puring kitty cat.

Now i am quite tempted to use it in my bike. But reading up on the Oil Bible - it reckons using any kind of oil or additive designed for a car will have the wrong friction modifiers for a bike with a wet clutch.

but being a kawaclunky - its kinda a noisey rattly engine - most of which i am putting down to the cam chain.

but i would love to see what the additive that works so effectively on my car can do to the engine on my bike.

your thoughts?
    gone.

Bike
    K1 GSXR 750
    if its a car additive id be very wary using it in my sportsbike.....

i know deep down theyre "just engines" but sportsbikes are ultra high performance engines that rev out to buggary...unlike cars.....so id go for the safe bet and say no.

but let me know how it goes if u choose other wise.....
    K1 GSEXR 750 im in love....

Bike
    Walking
    I used to be a ProMa rep. Still use their MBL (Metal Based lubricate) in the car. Plus their MBL Grease is amazing.
    But please DO NOT use MBL8 in your wet clutch motorbike.

Try the 'Powerup' product which is compatible with wet clutches.

I should go into the additive market with a ''NEW!'' product that will double your HP and increase fuel econnomy - with fuckwits like you guys around I'd make a fortune.

MBL8 is full of copper and lead (did you notice how heavy the bottle is) and makes your engine quiet because the soft metals cushion the blow - and you want to pay the money and put it in your engine? Yes,I use it to quieten noisy engines,but I tell the customer I have done nothing but disguise the symtom.Pay the money for a quality oil,dino or synth...it doesn't matter,and change it at recomended intervals - you need do nothing more to make you engine perform to max and give long life.

Jeez,what morons - like,how much did your bike cost?

Bike
    Ducati 996 '01, Yamaha '04 R6 Race
    Also a lot of these products contain Molybdenum particles. It was invented by ICI and in their data sheets, it specifically states that it should not be put into engines. Of course Motorup and all the other bullshit use it explicitly as the main ingredient.
    You're right Motu, you'd have to be a fuckwit to put it in a motor.....if your motor is knackered rebuild it you cheap bastards
    Viva La Figa

Bike oils typicaly contain more moly than car oils - it's the type of moly that's important.That black shit forms plates which slide over each other reducing friction,you don't want that on your clutch.

Bike
    Kawasaki Ninja 650R
    Yeah I used some dodgy Russian 2 stroke oil in my old RZ250, after which the big end proceeded to shatter itself.

Oh how I miss you RZ...
    And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking. Racing around to come up behind you again.

Bike
    ZX14
    The clackty clack is all part of owning a Kawa, never herd a quite one yet!

Bike
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu
    I should go into the additive market with a ''NEW!'' product that will double your HP and increase fuel econnomy - with fuckwits like you guys around I'd make a fortune.
    So ok, maybe I fall into the fuckwit category, but a couple of questions not related to bikes.

The AA supervised a test a while back where they put Wynns for oil in a holden at teh correct ratio, then drained the oil and drove the car from Auckland to wellington.
    Now, I know that Slick50 tried the same thing with their product and failed (about hamilton if I recall correctly).

So my questions...
    Do you feel that a car would normally make it from Auckland to Hamilton sans oil?
    Did Wynns for oil make a difference?

Cause yeah that test pretty well suckered me into thinking it made a difference, that said I don't generally use the stuff and would never use it in the bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank
    You say "no one wants to fuck with some large bloke on a really angry sounding bike" but the truth of the matter is that you are a balding middle-aged ice-cream seller from Edgecume who wears a hello kitty t-shirt (in your profile pic) and your angry sounding bike is a fucken hyoshit - not some big assed harley with a human skull on the front.

Bike
    92 Yamaha FJ1430A
    Blog Entries
    i dont put any additives in my bike ..

'cept maybe leaded gas...
    Life is tough. It's tougher when you're stupid

SARGE
    represented by GCM

Bike
    01 - ZX7R
    right. thanks for the info guys. will stay away.
    gone.

Quote Originally Posted by CaN

So my questions...
    Do you feel that a car would normally make it from Auckland to Hamilton sans oil?
    Urban myth - a case for the Mythbusters? But it's dealing with a product,so doubt they'd do it.Perhaps you could try on your own vehicle.....ohhhh,no? And that's why,no one would ever try themselves.Go on....dare ya!

There was some mythbusting of this I saw somewhere on the internet (oh...) A lot of these engine destruction tests are done in front of an audience using a Brigg & Stratton engine,cheap enough for a demo.So Briggs & Stratton did some test of their own,using various products and engines just drained of normal oil.There were a couple of products that allowd the engine to run momentarily longer....but did more extensive damage when they finaly failed.Seen the demos - all bullshit.

Bike
    Various
    Urban myth - a case for the Mythbusters? But it's dealing with a product,so doubt they'd do it.Perhaps you could try on your own vehicle.....ohhhh,no? And that's why,no one would ever try themselves.Go on....dare ya!

There was some mythbusting of this I saw somewhere on the internet (oh...) A lot of these engine destruction tests are done in front of an audience using a Brigg & Stratton engine,cheap enough for a demo.So Briggs & Stratton did some test of their own,using various products and engines just drained of normal oil.There were a couple of products that allowd the engine to run momentarily longer....but did more extensive damage when they finaly failed.Seen the demos - all bullshit.
    Sure no one is going to try it, on their own vehicle of course it is not good for it. Never said driving it without oil was a good thing, don't be silly.

And no, Wynns used to run a 6 cylinder holden engine with various perspex panels for the duration of say the easter show with no oil.
    You say "no one wants to fuck with some large bloke on a really angry sounding bike" but the truth of the matter is that you are a balding middle-aged ice-cream seller from Edgecume who wears a hello kitty t-shirt (in your profile pic) and your angry sounding bike is a fucken hyoshit - not some big assed harley with a human skull on the front.

Bike
    Bikes!
    If you ever get stuck in the wop wops with the dip stick on low, fill the sump with water. Sure it's not oil, but it won't do any further damage (compared to running without oil pressure), and it's better than being stuck... when was the last time a car with a blown head gasket died with the main failed

Bike
    Various
    Urban myth - a case for the Mythbusters? .
    Yeah I was wrong.
    It was slick 50 whom tried the Auckland to Wellington run and failed.
    But it was the AAA (Australia) who did the Wynns one and it was from Darwin to Ayres Rock.
    I remembered reading the "Mythical" AA report but it was some time ago and was actually the AAA.

Thread Information