Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Chain

Bike
    Thinking

Lightbulb New Chain

Hi, I just fitted a new EK O-ring chain to the Ducati, while doing this I obviously moved the axle forward to account for the old chains adjustment being almost fully used up.
    Im thinking I just shortened the whellbase of the Ducati by about two inches, that surely must effect the performance, maybe better cornering, easier Monos (not that I do them) and maybe other stuff.
    Im interested to know everyones thoughts on this.
    thanks
    Quasievil
    Ive run out of fucks to give

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    i'd be extremely surprised if it shortened it by two inches. I would of thought about 1 at the max, but then what the hell do I know about Ducks.
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Bike
    Thinking

Thumbs up Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by White trash
    i'd be extremely surprised if it shortened it by two inches. I would of thought about 1 at the max, but then what the hell do I know about Ducks.
    I just measured it , it is 3.5 cms shorter than it was, what ya reckon

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    I've just looked at our 900ss and yep, you're right.

I'd say the last chain must've been well and truly buggered!

Bike
    Thinking

Yes

I've just looked at our 900ss and yep, you're right.

I'd say the last chain must've been well and truly buggered!
    I finished it off on the Waikato ride on Sunday
    Do you think it would make a difference, I know I can ride it and find out, but I want to know technically also

Bike
    2008 DRZ400E & 1983 CB152T
    A new chain will make a hell of a difference. Last year when I got new chain and sprockets for my VT250 it felt like a completly new bike. Because it doesn't flex as much it looses less power therefore you rear wheel will have more power.

Most race teams replace the chain after every single race, cause it looses so much power after even one race.]

I need a new one for my CBR, but will have to wait a few weeks. $250 on a student allowance isn't easy to find, lol.

Bike
    RC36, WR, RS250, GSXR1000, Duke250, IZH
    wouldn't an old chain flex less cause it already has the stretch taken out of it. The advantage to changing then would be in the fact that the chain rollers will meet up perfectly with the sprocket teeth and therefore less friction, also new chain stretchyness would be better for engine/trans longevity giving a bit of give between front sprocket and tyre (same as the little rubber bits that are between rear sprocket and rim)

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Quasievil
    I finished it off on the Waikato ride on Sunday
    Do you think it would make a difference, I know I can ride it and find out, but I want to know technically also
    Two inches less wheel base will make a hell of a difference, you're right. Also, it could make the bike less stable.

Bike
    Thinking

okay

Two inches less wheel base will make a hell of a difference, you're right. Also, it could make the bike less stable.

Less stable in what condition, cornering or high speed stright line stuff ??

Bike
    2008 DRZ400E & 1983 CB152T
    Less wheel base will make it better round the corners (more nimble) but less stable at high speeds. But you probably won't notice the high speed stability too much, but it should corner better.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FzerozeroT
    wouldn't an old chain flex less cause it already has the stretch taken out of it. The advantage to changing then would be in the fact that the chain rollers will meet up perfectly with the sprocket teeth and therefore less friction, also new chain stretchyness would be better for engine/trans longevity giving a bit of give between front sprocket and tyre (same as the little rubber bits that are between rear sprocket and rim)
    Chains don't stretch, but all those pins and bushes wear. So it's gone from having nice round pins rolling in nice round bushes, to oval or worse pins and bushes. Now the bushes won't align correctly with the sprockets, so there's an adjustment going on there, all the way around the sprocket, which absorbs power.
    The "rubber bits" in the rear sprocket hub are to dampen out the shocks that occurs as a result of uneven power transmission.

New chains and sprockets are better, and thats that.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Honda PC800
    your bike is shorter therefore fractionally easier to mono and will turn in a little bit easier.
    The length is desighned by ducati to be within their handling specs with new or worn out chain
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    More chain trivia - race bikes invariably have the o-ring chains replaced with non o-ring, for less rolling resistance. Every little bit helps, and chain life is one of their lesser concerns (as long as it lasts the race)
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    2011 CB1000R
    My axle is near the end of its adjustment yet the chain appears to be in ok condition.The sprockets are holding their shape and the chain doesnt have a lot of twist in it.
    How exactly will I know its time for a new one.And should I change sprockets with chain even though the old ones appear un worn?
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    etiquette? treat it like every other vehicle on the road, assume they are a blind, ignorant brainless cunt who is out to kill you, and ride accordingly

Bike
    Thinking

I understand

Quote Originally Posted by madandy
    My axle is near the end of its adjustment yet the chain appears to be in ok condition.The sprockets are holding their shape and the chain doesnt have a lot of twist in it.
    How exactly will I know its time for a new one.And should I change sprockets with chain even though the old ones appear un worn?
    That the chain will get loose very quickly, it will rattle it will twist if held out in front of you (once off) it is rusty or it just looks like shit, a chain shouldnt last longer than 10,000 km after that it gets in poor condition

Thread Information